A garland of balls is an elegant decoration that people turn to for a variety of reasons. There are many interesting combinations of such decor. They can differ not only in their shape, but also in colors. Today we will find out what types of ball garlands exist and how you can make them yourself.
Today, there are many decorative additions used to create a festive and welcoming atmosphere. Garlands are one of the most popular and effective products. In their manufacture, balls are used, which are characterized by a different-sized design. Such solutions look very interesting and attract a lot of attention. As a rule, decorations of this form fit seamlessly into many interior ensembles. Moreover, they can be used for a wide variety of reasons.
Beautiful garlands of balls are different. Often at various events you can find standard options in the form of an arch, but this is far from the only way to perform such a decoration. Let's get to know them better.
Most often, there are simple (but equally attractive) examples in the form of an arch. The second most popular are the designs in the form of a large heart. Such decorations may contain both single-color and multi-colored balls. In both cases, original and attractive jewelry is obtained that never goes unnoticed. Ball garlands can have very different structures.
The main advantages of this decor are:
- affordable price - buy a similar decoration or make it yourself for everyone's pocket, because garlands of balls are inexpensive;
- the possibility of using it at large events - a garland assembled from balloons can be used to decorate not only a modest holiday, but also a large-scale celebration with many guests;
- production speed - a beautiful bunch of balloons can be made in just a few minutes, so it won't take a lot of free time to decorate the festive room;
- long service life - despite the fact that balloons are not the most durable products, the decor of them can stand for several days without any losses (of course, to achieve this result, you need to adhere to the technology of manufacturing a garland);
- versatility - such decorations are used to decorate not only various premises, but also cars (most often, such festive decorations are used when decorating cars from a wedding cortege).
Flat types of decorations are made in the same way as simple round or square garlands. Fours of balls are combined with each other and tied with a fishing line or ribbon. When drawing up this decorative composition, it is very important to responsibly approach the calibration of the balls used. To make a flat garland, you first need to build a kind of four-petalled flower. Further, a ball is attached to its central part, which has a more modest size, it will serve as the middle. Such designs are very popular because they look interesting and are easy to make. It takes very little time.
Street lights are made up of denser balls. For a regular garland, simpler options are used. As a rule, outdoor structures easily tolerate low temperatures (frost-resistant), but the sweltering heat has a negative effect on them. High-quality street lights can last from a week (or more) if during this time the weather was good without strong winds.
The outdoor balloon edging is often used when opening new establishments or holding various kinds of events. As a rule, lighter balls are chosen for this. However, such a solution, despite its attractiveness, cannot be called practical. Ideal weather conditions are not always the case, so the durability of such decorations can be significantly reduced.
Ball-shaped LED garlands are insanely popular today. Such decorations are most often used during the New Year holidays. They are hung not only on Christmas trees (street and home), but also on various urban objects. With the help of correctly selected garlands, you can give the atmosphere a truly festive and elegant look. Luminous jewelry with diodes has many positive qualities:
- low power consumption;
- diode decorations do not heat up;
- have a pleasant, but bright enough light;
- serve for a very long time;
- are not afraid of external influences from atmospheric precipitation;
- are not afraid of temperature changes (of course, if they are made of high-quality materials);
- represented by the widest assortment.
However, it should be borne in mind that these products are quite expensive, but their performance and long service life justify the high price.
Thai lanterns are a real trend, they are wildly popular. Lanterns are made of thread and rattan. These details often complement and complete interiors of different styles. Consider the characteristic features of thread options.
- Such decorations can only be kept in dry and closed rooms.
- Such models are luminous and operate from a 220V network.
- It is permissible to operate fabric products at temperatures from 0 to +45 degrees.
- Such garlands must not be switched on while packed. In addition, they must not be covered with even very light and transparent fabrics / bedspreads.
- It is not recommended to store these fashionable round garlands in places where they will be left unattended or accessible by children / animals.
Round rattan garlands boast a spectacular design. According to the designers, such decorations cast a very beautiful shadow. The rattan variants are available in a variety of colors. Often, these ornaments, like woven ones, are the result of manual labor.
Very beautiful and original garlands are made from colored paper or cardboard. Such decorations can be easily made by hand. Cope with such work is not difficult, even a child can do it. If everything is done carefully and correctly, then the result will surely please you. Beautiful paper ball-shaped garlands are used on a variety of occasions. They are hung on various bases during parties, name days and other similar events. Often, paper compositions combine several different colors at once. The result is a positive and eye-catching set.
Choice of materials
It is quite possible to make spherical garlands with your own hands. Most often, people make paper decorations on their own, and also make interesting compositions from balloons. So, for the manufacture of a garland of balloons in most cases, such materials are required.
- The balloons themselves. First, decide on their colors - decide whether the design will be monochromatic or consist of several colors. It is also extremely important to consider the diameter of the balls. If you are planning to build a decoration that will be outdoors, then it is advisable to choose products that are about 12 inches in diameter. For home solutions, balls with a diameter of 5 and 9 inches will be enough.
- You will also need a pump. To form a beautiful and complete composition, a lot of balloons come in handy. To inflate them, special pumps of compact dimensions are most often used. They are usually sold in specialty stores that offer a variety of holiday products.
- Fishing line. The "airy" composition should be based on a fishing line. It is on it that the structure will be held. It should be transparent and dense, but flexible enough.
If you are planning to make inexpensive but beautiful paper ball-shaped garlands, then you will need other components.
- Colored paper. The balls for the garland themselves will be made from it. You can use not 1 or 2, but many colors.
- Hole puncher.
- Threads and sewing machine.
If you decide to make balls out of threads fashionable today with your own hands, then you should purchase the following materials:
- rubber balls;
- PVA glue;
Almost any kind of thread can be used to make thread balls. For example, it can be acrylic or cotton options. It is not recommended only to use woolen threads. Absolute synthetics are ideal. The size of the balloons largely depends on where exactly you plan to install the future decor. For example, if you decide to add it to a chandelier in the house, then it is worth buying large options. It is advisable to choose products with a special ring at the end. It will be convenient to hang the resulting product for it.
As for PVA glue, then you need to take into account the fact that you need to buy it only in a special hardware store. It must be indicated on the package that it can be used for working with wooden surfaces. You should not buy the adhesive in a regular office supply store, since there it is diluted with water from the very beginning.
If you are going to make a beautiful design of balloons, then you will need to carry out the following preparatory work:
- prepare a calibrator - with it you will determine the size of balloons already inflated;
- inflate balloons using a pump or call someone to help you;
- fold inflated balloons onto clean surfaces;
- be sure to decide what length the future structure will have (based on this parameter, you will need to choose a suitable fishing line or clothesline).
If you are making decorations out of paper, then at the first stages you will need to cut out the required number of balls using a hole punch (instead of a hole punch, you can take a small glass or a small glass, attach it to the paper and circle it with a pencil). Prepared circles must be cut with scissors. Before proceeding to the manufacture of thread balls, you need not only to stock up on all the necessary materials, but also to properly prepare the glue for future work.
For this you will need:
- dilute 3 tablespoons of starch with water;
- the resulting mixture must be thoroughly mixed, and then added to a half-liter jar with PVA glue;
- after that, the adhesive will become quite liquid, so it will be much easier to apply it to the threads, and the starch will make the product stronger.
You will also need to inflate the balloons. This can be done both independently and with a pump. After that, they will need to be lubricated with technical oil. This process is necessary so that the adhesive does not begin to stick to the ball, but collects in areas where there are no threads.
How to do it yourself?
Upon completion of the preparatory work, one should proceed to the direct manufacture of spherical decorations. First, let's take a look at the step-by-step instructions for making one of the most attractive garlands of balloons.
- Inflate 2 balloons first, but you don't have to do it to the limit. After inflating the products, deflate them a little. This will need to be done to reduce the level of stress in the walls, otherwise they will simply burst. No need to tie the tails of the balls with thread. Just press them down with your fingers.
- Next, you need to check the diameter of the balls. Basically, for this purpose, a special template is used, which is a board with a hole in the center. If the inflated balloon enters there too easily, it needs to be inflated. If, on the contrary, it does not pass, then it will need to be slightly lowered.
- After making sure that the balls are the same size, they will need to be crossed with each other, twisted twice and tied in a knot.
- The next detail that needs to be prepared is a four. You need to take a couple of twos, put them crosswise, and then twist. So, the basic part is ready.
Then you can proceed to the assembly of the scenery. If you plan to make it two-color, then to prepare the four you need to take 2 pairs of balls of different colors and twist them so that the details of the same shade are located opposite each other, and the colors alternate. The assembly is carried out as follows.
- Pull the fishing line tightly between 2 static objects (for example, a chair, table, cabinet). Leave free ends about 1-1.5 m on both sides, so that in the future there will be no difficulties with fastenings.
- Take a four and attach it to the line. 2 balls must be held, and the remaining 2 must be twisted around the fishing line so that all elements are securely fixed, and the order of colors does not change.
- Now take another four. Repeat the same steps. Be sure to make sure the colors are positioned and alternated correctly. It is desirable that they be staggered.
When all the balls are strung, you need to check if they are tight enough to each other and if all the colors are in the places designated for them. Fix the free ends. As for the self-production of round paper garlands, there is also nothing complicated here. Having prepared the required number of cut out circles, you will need:
- fold the cut blanks according to the planned color combination;
- now start to sew stacks of round timber using a sewing machine;
- after stitching one element, go to the next without breaking the thread;
- Finally, fold each circle in half.
Now let's look at a master class on making fashionable thread garlands. It is better to wind the threads on the prepared balls with an assistant. Unfortunately, those are not always found and you have to do everything yourself. In this case, the method of self-application of glue to the threads with your fingers is effective, but not the most pleasant. The starting thread turn on the ball should be tied with a knot, and then you must continue to carefully wind the threads on a round base. You can dip the threads into the glue in small portions, then wind them around the ball. In this case, the materials can simply get confused, so it is better to just smear them with your hands at the time of laying on the ball. Of course, this takes a lot of time and patience, but the threads will not get tangled.
The wrapped balloon will need to be hung up for just a couple of days to dry. Then it will need to be carefully blown off. After that, the ball of threads will be ready. Of course, there are many more interesting technologies for making ball garlands. Among them there are both very simple and quite complex ones. The above are the most understandable master classes that everyone can handle if they wish.
Correctly made garlands of balls are able not only to decorate the existing interior, but also to add festive notes to it. Consider a few eye-catching ensembles that feature these original sets.
At the entrance to newly opened establishments, in most cases, garlands of balloons are installed, displayed in the form of high and rounded arches. Such decorations attract more attention if they are made of colorful balls. For example, it can be harmonious combinations of white and blue, turquoise and silver, white and orange, gold and red and many other colors.
Garlands of balloons made especially for children's parties look especially tender and cute. As a rule, materials of calm and "sweet" colors such as purple, pink, white, turquoise or pale yellow are used for such events. Such designs can be made in the form of arches, complemented by large flowers of contrasting colors (from balls), or shiny balls in the form of stars - there are a lot of options. In this case, decorations in the "Rainbow" style, combining all the colors of the rainbow spectrum, will be appropriate.
Balloons make very interesting and beautiful (asymmetrical or curved) decorations. Often they are located in special photo zones and photo studios. These designs most often combine 2, 3 or more colors. Beautiful colorful arches are sometimes built for children's parties, complementing them with various thematic props. For example, a product made of different-sized balls of pink, white, mint, blue, scarlet and yellow colors will be in harmony with the figures of beautiful pink flamingos.
The balls make very interesting floor decorations. For example, it can be tall flowers with green balls below and pink (petals) on top. It is better to supplement the center of improvised buds with small red balls.
Fashionable rattan garlands with illumination in the shape of a heart will be a great addition to a romantic and mysterious interior. A white-blue (or three-color white-blue-purple) rattan garland on a dense white rope will be a wonderful decoration for a light room in discreet colors.
For information on how to make garlands of balloons with your own hands, see the next video.