A rimless toilet is more popular today than a rimless toilet. It has many advantages, so modern manufacturers also offer a variety of rimless models.
Features of the device
The rimless toilet practically does not differ from the standard version. The peculiarity is hidden in a small structural change that affects the flow of water when the tank is drained. The absence of a rim, which, according to the idea, distributes the liquid around the perimeter of the entire inner space of the toilet bowl, completely washing its surface. However, this element, in addition to its purpose, has a negative effect - dirt accumulates on it and bacteria multiply.
It is possible to compensate for this feature only through careful care that takes time and effort, this should be done regularly. The rimless design solves this problem in a radical way - by changing the structure of the toilet. But this is not the only solution, you can consider another option - glazing.
Glazing hard-to-reach areas
One of the early methods of solving the problem is to cover the problem areas with a special compound to which dirt does not stick and on which bacteria do not grow. The glazed surface really does this task, but over time it degrades under the influence of cleaning agents and a brush, which makes this technique extremely short-lived. As a result, the specially coated toilet becomes a classic version and all problems return. Which puts the owners of this type of plumbing before the choice to either clean the toilet without detergent, or lose its main advantage after a few months.
Structure and working principle
It is worth noting that there is no single "correct shape" rimless toilet. This technology is under development and improvement. So, some manufacturers, having abandoned the rim, made in their toilets a minimum depression in the upper part of the product, these include such lines as: Hygienic Flush (Gustavsberg), The Gap (Roca), Pro S Rimless (Laufen) .
Other manufacturers leave the toilet bowl completely flat without any gutters, such as Rim-ex (VitrA) or Rimfree (Keramag) . In both cases, a common feature is a powerful stream of water, thoroughly washing the entire inner surface of the toilet bowl. This result is achieved by means of special channels that divide the flow into several separate ones, supplying water at a certain correct angle, and at the same time, the design prevents water from pouring out of the bowl.
All innovative technologies used in a rimless toilet have practically no effect on its cost. The method of mounting toilets on the wall using a profile, although it looks doubtful, can withstand a load of up to 500 kg. The seamless cistern, built into the wall, ensures complete absence of leaks and reduces the noise component of its work. The guarantee for the internal mechanisms of the tank from reputable manufacturers is up to 10 years, which means that you can not think about an imminent breakdown. But even in this case, the technology provides for the replacement of the insides through the technological channel of the drain button without dismantling the product.
Pros and cons
To understand the difference between rimless and rimless toilets, you need to pay attention to the specific structure of each option, since it is this that determines the presence of characteristic advantages.
Rimless products have several advantages.
- Better hygiene. The absence of a rim eliminates the problem area, which serves as a springboard for the accumulation of dirt and the growth of bacteria. The entire area of the inner surface is fully accessible, its cleaning is not complicated by any factors, which makes the toilet cleaner and safer for health. The model is very popular in places with strict sanitary requirements: hospitals, cafes and public catering, shopping and entertainment centers and other places where people gather.
- Facilitated cleaning process. The openness of the design makes it easy to access every corner, it is convenient to clean, you do not need to twist to get it with a brush or a brush under the rim, so the process is faster and less tiring. A thorough cleaning can be replaced by a thorough daily wiping of the surface with a napkin without detergent.
- Economical water consumption. The high pressure created by a more powerful pressure of water cleans the surface of the product better, therefore, 30% less liquid is required to drain, which, with a meter, translates into significant cost savings.
- Improved aesthetics. The product looks more compact and does not stand out in the interior of the bathroom.
- Safe care. The absence of large volumes of dirt adhering to the toilet bowl coating makes it possible to wash the product without chemicals containing acids.
- Similar cost. The price for a rimless product practically corresponds to the cost of a standard toilet bowl made of the same raw materials, which, with improved operational features, is a significant plus - the best product for the same money.
There are no characteristic flaws in rimless toilets, although an unscrupulous manufacturer will have more than enough of them.
Rimless toilets are subdivided according to the specifics of their location and installation, there are two types with specific features.
- Floor - standing - such options are characterized by a standard installation, are relatively more cumbersome, often equipped with a bidet and microlift;
- Suspended - presented in more popular versions, mounted on the wall using special fasteners, a tank is built into them. Such models take up less space, are equipped with a reliable suspension system that can withstand a load of up to 500 kg. The solidity of the tank ensures no leaks, a long period of operation, and also reduces the noise of its operation, such a monoblock is quite practical.
It is worth paying attention to the compact model with an oblique outlet , which can be equipped with motion sensors that raise the lid when a person enters the room. Sometimes they have additional compartments in which various detergents and fragrances are placed, used when draining.
Today, buyers can choose from a wall-mounted, side-mounted or back-to-wall option. It all depends on personal preference.
Overview of manufacturers and models
When buying a certain product, you can trust the label or the will of chance, but purchasing products from a well-established manufacturer will be more reliable. Today, several companies are in high demand on the sanitary ware market.
- VitrA. This company manufactures sanitary ware and related products for bathrooms. It equips rimless toilets with the Rim-ex flush system, which is well suited for use in toilets in shopping centers, hospitals and other public places. Also, the vast majority of models are equipped with a special compartment for detergent washed with water when draining.
- Roca. This sanitary ware manufacturer has a rich history as it has been operating since 1929. The products are in demand among luxury hotels, Olympic venues, and places where quality plays a major role.
- TOTO. This company manufactures toilets using modern technologies and innovations, and uses the Tornado Flush multi-flow flush system, which improves flushing of the toilet bowl throughout the entire area. The company uses eWater + technology designed to kill harmful bacteria. In addition, toilets are equipped with motion sensors that open the toilet lid when a person approaches.
- Am. Pm. The company offers a line of rimless products ranging from mid-range to luxury, combining clever shapes to save space. They have excellent design and comfortable operation. For the production, only high-quality ceramic raw materials are used that meet European standards.
- Cersanit. It is a Polish manufacturer of sanitary ware with a moderate price policy. Rimless toilets feature practicality and a versatile, discreet design. All Cersanit products are manufactured according to European quality standards and are fully certified. Cersanit toilets are similar to the Ideal Standard brand.
The rating of manufacturers of quality products also includes companies from Germany and Switzerland.
Each manufacturer tries to highlight the range of its products with certain unique features: an innovative flush system, design, economical water consumption, the best price-quality ratio. Among the wide variety, there are several models from trusted manufacturers.
- The Roca Gap A346477000 is a wall -hung rimless toilet with a modern, versatile design. It fits perfectly into almost any bathroom style. The Gap line is distinguished by the presence of a variety of additional functions that make it easier to use and make it more comfortable. The dimensions of the product are 30x34x54 cm, the approximate cost is 6600 rubles.
- Cersanit Carina Clean On is a wall-hung cone-shaped toilet, distinguished by the presence of a microlift, a pleasant uniform white color, which universally fits into the interior of bathrooms, executed according to modern style trends. The set includes a seat made of duroplast with an antiseptic effect, allowing you to save on related products. The model has an excellent ratio of affordable price and good European quality. The approximate cost of the product is 7200 rubles.
- Villeroy & Boch Omnia Architectura DirectFlush is a rimless wall-mounted toilet. The product from a company with more than 250 years of history is distinguished by well-thought-out ergonomics and the verified DirectFlush flushing system, which thoroughly cleans every area. The dimensions of the toilet are 33x37x53 cm, the approximate price is 10,000 rubles.
- Laufen Pro S 8.2096.1 is a model of a rimless wall -hung toilet from a Swiss manufacturer that stands out for its high quality. Its operation is optimized using a special technology that reduces water consumption. The dimensions of the product are 34x36x53 cm. The approximate cost is 12,000 rubles.
- Awe from AM. PM is a deluxe rimless wall-hung toilet, beautifully designed with practicality and comfort in mind. The toilet is made of high quality ceramics, the dimensions of the product are 33x36.5x56 cm, the approximate cost is $ 710.
Tips for choosing
The features of the environment and the process of operating a rimless toilet are similar to the classical model. Most of the important points that you need to pay attention to when choosing a particular product are quite standard.
- Raw materials from which the toilet bowl is made. It has one of the primary values and affects many features of the product:
- strength - awkward movements from time to time touch the plumbing, a fragile product can crack and become an irrecoverable waste of money;
- evenness and smoothness - the homogeneity of the ceramic mixture affects the formation of defects on the surface of the toilet bowls: dents, bulges, as well as roughness, which contributes to the accumulation of dirt and further negative processes;
- color and its uniformity - the most attractive are porcelain and metal products.
- Location option. Despite the many advantages of a wall-hung toilet (it takes up less space, works quieter, does not stand out in the bathroom interior), some people are confused by the system of its suspension on the profile, which seems superficially unreliable. In this case, the classic floor-standing rimless toilet will satisfy the needs.
- Flush system. The manufacture of this part should be of especially high quality, it is recommended to test the product at the stand, if this option is not available in the store, you should inquire about information on the Internet: the manufacturer's reputation, user reviews.
- Additional functionality. Depending on the model, various equipment may be offered, which directly affects the final cost.
Small fasteners (dowels, bolts) can be supplied with the toilet or they must be purchased separately. Since the toilet is a sanitary product, it cannot be exchanged or returned, so it is important to choose the right model right away. It is recommended to choose slowly, taking into account all the listed criteria, and also think about additional points inherent in a particular situation.
If the choice settled on the corner option, then you should definitely monitor how it washes away. This function must be configured correctly initially.
The innovativeness of the rimless toilet affected not only the flush system, but also the installation of its wall-hung version, while the floor-standing version is installed using standard technology. For both types, the sewer and water supply pipes are used the same as before. The fastening system has a certain specificity, which, in the absence of experience, makes the installation difficult, therefore it would be more expedient to pay for the help of the master, especially considering that the product will be in a suspended state.
Installing a rimless wall-hung toilet according to a manufacturer-specific method guarantees reliable operation throughout its entire service life.
- Niche preparation. In addition to the fastening mechanism, the tank will be mounted in the wall. First, you need to equip a niche 100 cm high, 60 cm wide and 15–20 cm deep, depending on the thickness of the tank. It is necessary to supply the drain in the place where the corresponding hole in the toilet bowl will be. Immediately you need to take into account the correct slope of the sewer, which is 2 cm per 1 meter of length.
- Profile installation. First, the frame is mounted with fasteners to the floor and wall. Anchors with a diameter of 1 cm are suitable for these purposes. When installing, you need to use a level to correct the correct perpendicularity of the structure to the floor and wall. Despite the presence of adjusting rods for leveling the bowl on the profile itself, its installation should be as even as possible. As a standard, the toilet is placed about 40 cm above the floor.
- Water supply. For these purposes, it is better to use polymer pipes, for example, polypropylene or other synthetic material.
- Sewer drain. A bowl is connected to a pre-located drain; a corrugated pipe can be used for connection. Then you need to check the quality of the connection by draining the water, carefully inspect the connection for leaks. The bowl is dismantled for further work.
- Niche finishing. You can use waterproof drywall or other material to seal the hole. The gypsum board is especially convenient to mount on an existing profile, while often the instructions for the product contain cutting sheets for this operation.
- Decorative cladding. Often, tiles are used in this place, you can place it so that the seam of the drywall sheet coincides with the seam of the tile. If necessary, the panel can be opened only by removing the seamless tile adhesive.
- Bowl assembly. After finishing and drying, the bowl is fixed on special studs.
For the advantages and disadvantages of rimless toilets, see the following video.