Today, your own home is not only a guarantor of security, but also a place where you can isolate yourself from the hustle and bustle of the city. However, modern multi-storey residential buildings cannot always provide good sound insulation. In order to increase the level of comfort of housing and to isolate as much as possible from extraneous noise, various types of soundproof panels are used.
Solving problems related to noise absorption is an urgent task for modern cities. This is due to the specifics of the buildings, which involves a large number of people living in multi-apartment residential complexes. This leads to the fact that noise penetrates into the dwelling not only from the street, but also through walls and interfloor ceilings from neighbors living from all sides.
That is why in recent years, many have begun to look for opportunities to minimize external sound stimuli by installing sound-insulating structures in the apartment, called panels. To make such plates, various modern materials are used, as well as products that have long been widely used in construction.
Noise-absorbing materials in the construction market are in great demand, since sound insulation problems affect not only the owners of apartments in new buildings, but also people living in houses that were built a long time ago, as well as residents of private buildings.
Experts identify two main ways that you can reduce the noise load:
- to stick ultra-thin roll materials on the walls that can reflect sound waves;
- sheathe the foundations in the dwelling with sound-absorbing products, which are available for sale in the form of porous mattresses.
But as practice shows, using together both methods of isolating an apartment or house from noise, you can get the most effective protection.
When starting to work on soundproofing premises, first of all, it is necessary to determine the centers of noise exposure in order to avoid unnecessary spending on materials that cannot cope with the problem, as well as on additional insulation of bases that do not need sound insulation.
There are several types of noise.
- Airborne noise is the most common type of noise that interferes with apartment buildings. This includes loud conversations, sounds from the TV, dog barking, and so on.
- Impact noise that arises from mechanical impact on the structural components of the house. This can be, for example, repair work, the movement of pieces of furniture.
- Structural type of sounds - it is generated in the form of vibrations and is focused in ventilation shafts or pipes.
- Acoustic noise - This is an echo that occurs in empty rooms.
It is on the basis of the type of noise available that it is necessary to select the type of material for sound insulation.
Types and composition
It is a mistake to think that the issue of the presence of extraneous noise is not such an important nuance, since the conditions of modern life in cities turn additional noise, even slightly exceeding the permissible norm, into a factor threatening a person. Since it is he who will interfere with the person to fully relax, which in the end is fraught with nervous exhaustion.
Sound insulation materials are produced on the basis of natural and synthetic raw materials, intended for installation on various types of surfaces, including walls, ceilings and floors.
They can differ in density, resistance to moisture, resistance to temperature fluctuations, as well as the method of installation.
Among the assortment of soundproof panels, it is worth highlighting several main types.
- Fiberglass and mineral wool boards. Typically, this material has a thickness of about 3 cm. Most often, this raw material forms a kind of sandwich in combination with drywall and gypsum fiber.
- Polyurethane panels , which have a second name - acoustic foam rubber. The installation of such products is carried out using ordinary glue, so it is easy to install materials of this type with your own hands. In addition, for the installation of polyurethane products, there is no need to additionally level the work surface.
- Liquid soundproofing - it is remarkable in that the way of its use is reduced to applying a dense layer to the base of the material, followed by leveling, in order to strengthen drywall sheets on top of the panel or to perform decorative finishing.
- Natural cork panels or cork foil. This type of material belongs to decorative finishing raw materials, however, due to its thickness of about 1 cm, it is used as sound insulation. When working with cork sheets, you must pay attention to the diameter of the product, which should be no more than 3 mm.
In addition, it is worth highlighting also soundproofing sheets:
- Drywall and gypsum fiber used in combination with basic sound absorbers.
- ZIPS - consisting of an inner layer, represented by a mineral filler, most often quartz sand acts as this component. Products require processing the edge by sealing it with tape, since the filler can spill out of the panels when cutting the product.
- Acoustic fiberboard and gypsum board - they are presented in the form of a layered structure containing waterproofing, mesh for reinforcement, as well as expanded polystyrene.
- Fiber-wood panels - coniferous wood is the raw material for the production of the material. Despite the fact that the products are not very thick, the products provide good sound insulation.
- Membranes that have a high level of density.
Characteristics and parameters
The decision in favor of purchasing one or another type of soundproofing panels should be based on the advantages and disadvantages of the material. Therefore, it is necessary to highlight the following features of the above products:
- The structure, which includes drywall sheets and porous material , such as mineral wool, ecowool or cellulose filler, has positive advantages - the panel provides a high level of noise protection and also creates thermal insulation for external bases. The disadvantages of the products include the complexity of the installation of products, in addition, a large amount of dust is generated during the work. Such a structure should be installed only in those rooms where square meters will allow it, since the thickness of the panels can reach 15 cm.
- Decorative products made of coniferous wood are a set of wall panels with special spikes and grooves for fastening. They are popular due to their surface, which already has a certain design, as a result of which the walls will not need additional decorative finishing. In addition, the material is made from natural raw materials and is completely safe for humans.
According to consumer reviews, this variety is perfect for installation in rooms with a large area. The disadvantage of products is their high cost.
- Plates made of polyurethane have excellent sound insulation properties, due to these features, the material is widely used in recording studios. The products are presented on the market in a standard size of 600x1200 mm with a slab thickness of no more than 15 mm. A positive feature of the product is the convenience and speed of installation, a high level of noise protection. However, the products are quite expensive.
- Sound insulating membranes are a new generation material, its thickness is about 35 mm, so that the products can be easily combined with other heat and sound insulating raw materials. Diaphragms are very easy to install and are flexible and can bend at a certain angle. Despite their small thickness and flexibility, such products create a high-quality and reliable barrier that prevents the passage of sound. The disadvantages of products are also its high cost.
- Wall cork panels are distinguished by their excellent appearance, they do not require the use of specific technologies during installation, since they are simply glued to the base. Most often, products have a minimum thickness. The disadvantages include the soundproofing properties of the material, which, in comparison with other soundproofing materials, have lower rates.
- Sandwich panels include fiberglass material sandwiched between two gypsum sheets. As practice shows, these products provide a high level of noise insulation indoors, and they are also easy to install. But it is worth considering the rather impressive thickness of the panels, which is very important for small apartments and houses.
There are quite a lot of materials for noise insulation of residential premises, in addition, they are represented on the market by a huge number of domestic and foreign manufacturers.
Domestic manufacturer "MaxForte" specializes in the implementation of innovative noise protection materials. Among the line of products presented, the following products stand out - "EcoPanel", "ShumoIzol", Standart. All presented products are safe for humans, therefore they are approved for use in civil and industrial construction.
Soundproof panels from the LLC Rus Korda company are presented by multilayer products. Fiberglass is used as a soundproofing layer, and the outer layer is made of spunboard. Materials vary in thickness. The advantage of the panels is flexibility and elasticity, which allows the products to be used for fastening to various beams and ceilings. The material does not burn and provides an additional level of thermal insulation.
Soundproofing membranes Tecsound from the Spanish manufacturer Texsa can be used as a separate material to absorb noise or in combination with other sound insulators. This material is recommended for soundproofing floors.
In addition, the PhoneStar brand of noise insulation materials can be distinguished , which is a durable panel, the outer layer of which is made of pressed corrugated board.
Knauf sound insulation belongs to the elite class of materials, since it has high quality characteristics. Knauf soundproofing compares favorably with other materials in ease of installation and long service life. The most demanded product of the German concern is the "New Acoustic" Knauf.
In addition to the above manufacturers, it is worth noting the products of the following companies - "Quiet House", "TechnoNICOL", Acoustic Group, Isoplaat, Ruspanel.
How to choose?
The main criterion on the basis of which the soundproofing material will be purchased, in addition to the type of noise, is the financial component. It is not necessary to purchase expensive panels, because, having carefully studied the issue, you can choose an inexpensive, but reliable and effective material. A very important point is the principle of assembling products, because fixing some products will require the involvement of professional builders, which is fraught with additional costs.
The maximum preservation of the usable floor space will play an important role in the selection of products. But giving preference to thin materials, you can make a mistake, since some products will provide high-quality sound insulation only in combination with other products.
Sound insulation principles
It is impossible to speak with confidence about the high level of efficiency of this or that soundproofing product, highlighting one leader. This is due to the need for an integrated approach to sound insulation, where the principles of suppression of various types of noise are important.
The principle of airborne noise absorption is possible due to this type of sound-insulating structure - "massive-absorption-massive". That is, the main sound wave will be taken over by the first solid surface, which will be quite difficult to vibrate.
Then the wave of noise will be partially absorbed by the soft, porous or fibrous inner material. And the last layer will act as an additional barrier that will take over the remnants of the noise wave, which will minimize noise transmission.
A slightly different approach is used to create protection against impact noise. In this case, you will need raw materials with a high viscosity. The most acceptable solution to the issue will be a product called texound. Regardless of the minimum thickness, this mineral-based material perfectly absorbs vibration.
How to organize yourself?
The choice of the best option for soundproofing panels should be carried out taking into account the architectural features of the house. An important role is played by the layout, the number of rooms, the material from which the foundations are made in the room, as well as the external finish. Some products, for example, SIP panels, already provide sound insulation as an independent material.
To create maximum self-made noise insulation, you should take care of sealing all cracks and gaps in walls and other foundations. For such work, voids in the flooring are closed, as well as all existing cracks at the joints. For work, a sound-absorbing sealant is usually used.
For cladding surfaces with acoustic panels, a number of preparatory work should be carried out, which include the elimination of old peeling finishes, disconnecting electrical networks, and dismantling the baseboard.
The cladding technology is the laying of sheets face down on the wall. The fixation of the products takes place with the help of adhesive pads, which can be applied only after priming the surfaces. You also need to glue the panel itself, and then press it with effort against the wall. When installing products, it is necessary to leave small gaps between the sheets. After finishing work with panels, they are treated with putty.
Work with sheets of drywall and mineral wool involves the installation of cotton wool to the surface, followed by sheathing with sheets of drywall. First of all, the construction of the lathing for the sheets of gypsum board is carried out, the material is attached to it, the filler is installed inside such a panel.
It is possible to perform soundproofing of a living space when using a frame wall. The main product of this design is lumber. Mineral wool is usually located between the racks, then drywall sheets are laid in two layers. This option is necessary for residential premises located near high noise sources.
Do-it-yourself floor soundproofing can be done when laying mineral wool under the floorboard close to the logs.
Ceilings are insulated by arranging a suspended structure. Any sound-insulating material can be placed in the formed cavities. To save the height of the ceilings, you can mount small cavities in which cotton wool is laid, sheathing the structure with a double layer of drywall.
In the next video, you will find advice from professionals on soundproofing the walls of ZIPS panels.