Not a single car enthusiast can do without an equipped garage space. Do-it-yourself shelves and shelving systems can provide a comfortable arrangement of tools and parts and quick access to them.
Before starting work, you should familiarize yourself with the basic requirements for a homemade design:
Reliability. Shelves and racks must be strong, as they are designed to store heavy loads, under which the boards should not bend.
Minimum area. The design must be compact as the main space is not intended for storage.
Availability. The rack should occupy a place that has open access.
It is also recommended to set an adjustment for the mountings, as the tool sometimes needs an individual height for optimal storage.
At the same time, experts suggest adhering to established standards:
The optimal shelf width should not exceed a meter.
It is better to store large items on the lower tiers so that in case of unforeseen circumstances they do not cause damage by falling from a low height. This arrangement is necessary for security reasons.
The height of the shelves in the upper tiers is usually adjustable from 25 to 60 cm, for the lower tiers it does not exceed a meter.
The depth calculation is relevant for multi-level structures and usually reaches 45 cm.
Taking into account all the parameters, you can safely start making shelves with your own hands.
Varieties and purpose
Professionals recommend that you carefully consider all the details for making shelves and shelves with your own hands, this also applies to the type of construction.
It is necessary to take into account the parameters of the garage, the funds and the purpose of the future construction.
Most items are needed to store tools or parts of various sizes.
At the same time, there are several types of classification, the first of which says about the design features:
Open. Needed for quick access to a certain thing. The open type of shelves is divided into wall and hanging ones. Wooden or metal bases are suspended on the wall with the help of corners, the fastening of which can be dismantled or permanent. Previously, special anchors must be installed on the wall to hold the entire structure.
- Closed. Designs are used to eliminate the loss of small items.
It is recommended to divide into cells for certain types of tools or small parts. For example, it is possible to sort out different types of screws.
Wood or metal are used as common materials. In rare cases, the structure can be made of plastic. However, based on practice, the implementation of a combined type design would be an ideal option.
The following assembly options are suitable for making yourself:
Removable or movable. The shelves form a rack with wheels on the lower tier. The mobile base will ensure optimal load distribution.
- Permanent. The shelving system is designed for specific areas that must be pre-allocated. To do this, initially you should create drawings that involve dividing the garage into several parts. Standard includes disposable assembly and securing of one piece with brackets.
- Collapsible products. They are convenient in that they can be expanded and easily dismantled in case of replacement or renovation of the premises. The height and number of shelves can be adjusted, and it is also possible to rearrange the shelves to a new location.
- Attic shelf. Hanging shelves are made of a corner and a metal profile that serves as a base. The entire structure is usually attached to the ceiling or beams, thereby saving space in the garage compartment. For fastening, you will need to install special hooks, they need to be driven in or welded to the ceiling beams. Thus, they can be easily detached if necessary.
- Rotating products. These structures are not designed for storing large items. Their main advantage is that they save time to find the right parts. For example, screws or nuts.
- Homemade tool shields. The shelves are suspended from a sturdy back wall, which is secured to the wall using anchors. Hooks or small stands can be installed on the shield for mobile access to any item.
When choosing a product, one should start from the parameters of the room. It is also necessary to remember that the more - the better, more spacious and more convenient.
There is no need to save on the size of the shelves, because high-rise structures will not take up a large area anyway.
Choice of materials
Before making your own shelves and racks, you must choose the right material. This question arises before the owner of the garage quite acutely and can often cause confusion, because the construction market is replete with a wide selection of proposals.
There are options:
- mixed - are a combination of two or more materials to build a single structure.
Experts suggest starting from the intended purpose of operation. For example, a garage shelf or shelving system for holding heavy tools must be sturdy. Therefore, such structures must be made of boards or metal.
Particleboard is not suitable as a material, as it is relatively light and wears out quickly enough.
Unlike wood, metal is a more expensive material. However, metal structures justify the investment in durability and long-term operation. Metal racks can carry a lot of weight and can store tools and parts of various sizes.
Usually metal shelves are made from steel or stainless steel plates welded together. This method of production allows the sheet metal to withstand the weight of the keys and wheels, exerting great pressure, and not suffer in a fire.
The disadvantages include only the fact that the metal corrodes in conditions of high humidity. The modification of the product is carried out using a special anti-rust compound. However, if the structure is made of stainless material, it is recommended to carry out wet cleaning only from time to time.
Wood is a material that does not require additional welding and is easy to process. Wooden boards can be adjusted to the required size by removing the excess part.
However, this type of material also has significant disadvantages:
- with high humidity in the room, the tree begins to swell, thereby losing its original shape and collapsing from the inside;
- wood is an organic material that is susceptible to rotting through the formation of molds;
- the material has a low resistance to high temperatures. In the event of a fire, the fire will easily transfer to the wooden structure.
It is quite easy to avoid some unpleasant consequences - you just need to cover the surface of the product with varnish or special paint. It is important to remember that this procedure should be carried out from time to time, updating an obsolete layer.
For the manufacture of boards, various types of wood are taken as a basis: oak, pine, ash.
Different materials require a special set of tools:
- Metal structures need welding assistance and a secluded spot free of flammable materials to get started. The parts of the metal frame can be fixed to each other using bolts and special angles.
- Wooden structures will not go far without self-tapping screws, a screwdriver and a drill. Wood products can also be held together with special glue.
- Combined designs require special preparation. To cut structural parts, you will need a grinder or a hacksaw, since usually the metal component acts as a skeleton.
- Both wooden and metal materials that do not have anti-corrosion properties must be coated with special compounds. For example, wood will require varnish, and metal will require an anti-rust solution.
Fixing the finished product to the wall is carried out by means of brackets and dowels, which can be driven in with precise hammer blows. An alternative to brackets are special anchors, which can be purchased in any construction market. With their help, it will be easier to dismantle the structure if necessary.
Further, when attaching wooden blocks to the wall for a stationary shelving system, level assistance will be required to level the boards and control the parallelism of the shelves relative to each other.
For ceiling materials, it is necessary to additionally purchase studs or iron hangers.
How can you do it?
At the preparation stage, you should focus on the height of the intended product. If the garage has low ceilings, then racks should be made that will not leave even a millimeter of free space under the ceiling surface.
Before starting work, you need to measure the width and height of the shelves. The lower tiers should be roomy for bulky items, while the upper ones should be lower so as not to sag and save space. This principle guarantees the stability of the structure.
A simpler option is a wooden shelf. Most garage owners choose the most affordable and simple method of making a do-it-yourself shelving system using wooden planks.
The choice is due to the advantages of a wooden structure:
- affordable price. Metal is valued much higher in the construction market than wood;
- quick and easy assembly method eliminates the need for a welding machine;
- natural material is much more environmentally friendly;
- the tree is strong enough and is not inferior in reliability to metal structures;
- long service life.
The material must be strong, which implies a choice in favor of hard rocks. For example, oak is perfect for making shelving, both in terms of strength and style. Vertical boards are made with a section of 10x5 cm, and not only wooden bars, but also chipboard sheets can act as shelves.
It is possible to prevent the risk of fire and extend the service life by treating all parts with an antiseptic before assembling the structure. Further, on the vertical bars, it is necessary to mark the shelves, which can be attached to the supporting racks with self-tapping screws or special glue.
However, the most relevant option is fixing by means of corners.
After assembly, it is necessary to carefully coat the entire structure with colorless varnish. These manipulations are necessary to prevent swelling and damage to the structure of the tree by mold in conditions of constant humidity.
After drying, it is necessary to install the structure in a specific place. In order to increase stability, the racking system is fixed to the garage wall using dowels and metal brackets.
A successful combination of wood and metal - wooden shelves equipped with a metal skeleton.
The best and most popular option is a steel frame with wooden shelves. Materials will cost much more, but make up for the loss of funds with obvious advantages. They are resistant to moisture and fire, requiring no replacement for decades. Wood "makes it easier" to hit the wallet, as it costs much less steel.
The base will require profiles or steel pipes up to 5 cm wide, which are attached with transverse components using metal corners up to 30 mm in size. These parameters are taken with the calculation of shelves up to 2.5 cm wide.
It is more practical to fix the corners with bolts, because such a system will be easier to dismantle to change the height of the shelves. A welding option is also possible, but it is not rational.
Shelves are made of plywood or chipboard sheets, after having measured their parameters. However, the width should not be less than one and a half centimeters, since the shelves must be strong and strong in order to fulfill their main function and not sag under heavy weight over time.
The assembly must be carried out in a free area, clearly following the instructions:
- metal parts are divided by a grinder according to preliminary calculations and room parameters;
- on vertical supports mark the future location of the shelves;
- the corners are carefully screwed or welded to the vertical frame. In this case, it is necessary to strictly observe the markings so that the multi-tiered product does not warp;
- in the event that a material is purchased that is unstable to rust, all metal parts are covered with a special anti-corrosion compound;
- cut out shelves are applied across the structure, cutting off excess parts;
- then it is necessary to grind and varnish the wooden components;
- firmly attach the wood to the metal with self-tapping screws.
At the end of the work, the entire structure is attached to the wall. Brackets with dowels are ideal for this purpose.
The fixed storage system is a racking structure that is assembled on site and then attached to the wall. In some cases, such an installation is much more practical and is much easier to implement with mobile systems.
The assembly algorithm is carried out in six stages:
- the marking is done directly on the wall, in which holes are immediately drilled and dowels are screwed in;
- a metal or wooden frame is cut according to pre-verified drawings and installed parallel to each other;
- distant wooden beams are screwed to the wall according to the markings, strictly adjusting the even position using a level;
- the skeleton of the structure is attached to each other in width using horizontal corners;
- the front (front) parts are connected to horizontal beams on which the shelves will be located;
- the last to attach the vertical supports and place wooden shelves in the previously developed grooves.
Thanks to the efforts expended, you can get a stable structure that will serve for many years. However, such a structure has a drawback - in the event of repair or replacement of the garage interior, it will not be easy to dismantle the sturdy structure.
For storing tools and various parts, the shelving system is almost indispensable.
The only design requirement is that the shelves do not sag under heavy pressure.
To create a wooden product, you will need to follow the standard parameters:
- for the upper tiers, it is required to maintain a height of 30 to 50 cm;
- the width of the shelves should correspond to the size of 1.5 m for safety reasons, thereby contributing to the stability of the structure;
- the optimal niche depth is 50 cm.
The preparatory stage for self-production is a clearly verified drawing and an approximate design. The next step is to create a frame and vertical supports from beams with a section of 10x10 cm.
A polished wooden board or piece of plywood is suitable as material for the shelf. The racks are attached to the transverse frame by means of corners, and the manufactured boards to the frames using self-tapping screws. At the end of the manipulation, it is necessary to completely varnish the entire structure and attach it to the wall.
The metal structure is heavy, which affects its storage conditions. The exerted load requires durable material for the shelves, which implies the purchase and construction of a metal shelving system. To connect the component parts, a welding machine is required.
However, the first stage is the creation of a drawing, which is a diagram of the product and its dimensions. Following the calculations, it is necessary to make a strong frame that must withstand heavy loads.
To reduce the cost of the product, you can use wooden materials that will replace the shelves. However, when using them, it is recommended to cover the non-metallic parts with a fire retardant in order to avoid the unpleasant consequences of fire. The thickness of the supporting structure must not be less than 2.5 cm.
The final stage is the coating of the structure with a refractory compound, as well as installation in a pre-prepared place.
Space saving - hanging shelves. Such structures are not in contact with the floor and are initially divided into wall and ceiling:
Wall-mounted are open and closed structures. In the latter case, they have a back wall, which is firmly attached to the wall with dowels. Alternatively, the entire suspension structure is anchored, making the product easy to dismantle.
- Ceiling structures do not take up space in the garage as they are suspended from the ceiling using hooks. The hooks are welded or fastened to the ceiling with steel studs. However, ceiling shelves cannot store fragile items as they are rather wobbly. This type of hanging product is designed to save space and quickly access the parts you need.
The shakiness of the structure can be eliminated by fixing it to corners, one part of which is attached to the wall, and the other to hooks or pins.
Homemade shelves will not only provide comfortable access to tools, but also help to put things in order by sorting things in their places. A rational and creative approach to business will not only save money, but also provide the garage with stylish and modern interior objects.
Examples of garage equipment
If there is free space in the garage, you can not only store things, but also operate it as a small workshop. To do this, you can purchase additional devices, for example, a workbench. It is a table equipped with latches and technical devices, comfortable for repairing various household items. For a workbench, they usually equip a special shelf-shield for open access to tools.
Embedding the cabinet into the shelving system can be a creative idea.
This method will not only allow you to neatly place things, but also serve as a closed storage that can be locked if necessary.
High humidity spoils the racks and shelves made of steel and wood. Unprotected elements are quickly destroyed. To eliminate this disadvantage of the room, you can equip the garage with a ventilation system.
When arranging a garage, professionals recommend starting from your own needs and funds. Despite the fact that making shelves and shelves for a garage with your own hands will take a lot of time and effort, the result is worth the money and effort. Buying finished products will not bring such pride as making an interior with your own hands.
For information on how to make shelves in the garage with your own hands, see the next video.