Polymer-based adhesive mixtures are indispensable in many construction work: they perfectly hold a wide variety of materials. This article will take a closer look at the pros and cons of such tools.
Polymer-based adhesive solutions are widely used both in everyday life and in professional construction.
First of all, such a tool has earned its popularity with its ability to firmly hold together almost any materials and versatility in application.
Even those objects that, it would seem, can only be connected with screws or nails, are able to hold together polymer glue.
By its structure, this type of glue is a gel-like plastic mass, which includes polymers and additional components.
The advantages of polymer blends are as follows:
- a high level of adhesion with almost all possible materials;
- fast drying;
- instant fastening of various products;
- high strength of the created bond;
- low consumption;
- ease of application;
- wide scope;
- moisture resistance;
- resistance to temperature fluctuations.
The main disadvantage of the adhesive polymer mixture is the toxicity of some formulations. When working with such products, precautions must be taken. In the case of interior work, the room must be well ventilated.
Adhesive polymer mixtures differ among themselves in some components that are part of their composition.
All modern formulations are divided into three main groups.
- Adhesives based on urea-formaldehyde resins, polyurethane and epoxy resin.
- Water-based mixtures. This glue can be thinned with water. This group includes PVA and bustilate (synthetic latex wallpaper adhesive).
- Compounds that can be diluted with organic solvents. This type includes nitrocellulose (nitroclays), rubber glue and a mixture based on perchlorovinyl resin.
Depending on the technical characteristics of a particular type of polymer glue, its scope is determined.
Let's consider the main types.
- Indoor mixes. Used for cladding various surfaces.
- Outdoor adhesives. This group includes compounds that are highly resistant to environmental influences and low temperatures. For outdoor use, only waterproof mixtures are suitable.
- Universal mixes. Such a composition is suitable for bonding most types of materials and can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Mounting mortar. Differs in high performance characteristics. With this glue, even massive products can be glued to various surfaces.
- Glue "Liquid nails". The composition is characterized by low consumption and fast drying. Bonds a wide variety of materials together quickly and reliably.
- Mix "Cold welding". It is a transparent gel-like mass. The peculiarity of this modification lies in the fact that with the help of such a tool, you can accurately and imperceptibly connect the chipped pieces of the object with its base.
Scope of application
The polymer-based adhesive can be used for both minor construction work and full renovation. A wide range of such mixtures will allow you to choose the right modification for any task.
The advantages of polymer-based glue are known to many car owners. Some mix modifications do an excellent job of car glass repair. A transparent solution, when solidified, forms an imperceptible compound. A slight layer of glue in this case will have the same refractive indices of light as glass. This allows you to perfectly mask cracks on the surface.
For interior work, a water-soluble group of polymer compounds is most often used. Such mixtures are less toxic.
Indoors, polymer glue is used for the following purposes:
- installation of parquet boards;
- facing of various surfaces with tiles (mixtures based on epoxy resin are excellent for tiles);
- fastening drywall sheets;
- minor repairs of various household items and furniture;
- creation and fastening of decorative elements;
- fixing the ceiling covering.
Polymer-based mixes also work well with the exterior of buildings. Mounting adhesive can fix even large items. The Liquid Nails mix does an excellent job of fixing materials such as plastics, metals, wood, drywall, ceramic tiles.
For roofing works, a special bitumen-polymer adhesive mixture is produced. The glue is a black paste-like mass. This composition is highly resistant to weathering and elasticity.
Most modern manufacturers of building mixtures produce a line of polymer adhesives. The products of different companies differ in technical characteristics and quality.
When studying the characteristics of a product, it should be remembered that high-quality polymer glue should have the following qualities:
- high rates of elasticity;
- good electrical and thermal conductivity;
- fire resistance;
- a high degree of adhesion (adhesion) and the ability to firmly bond various surfaces to each other.
Before choosing the appropriate type of polymer-based solution, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the most famous manufacturers and study the reviews on their products.
The Polish company Dragon specializes in the production of construction chemicals and adhesive mixtures. This company has been supplying high quality products to the construction market since 1972.
The universal polymer-based Dragon glue is very popular in the Russian market. This composition can be used for both interior and exterior decoration. The mixture is resistant to water and temperature extremes. The time for complete setting of the bonded surfaces is thirty minutes.
Customer reviews of this product are in most cases extremely positive.
Consumers highlight the following advantages of Dragon glue:
- short drying time;
- high quality;
- effective bonding of a wide variety of materials;
- affordable price.
The disadvantages include a weak but unpleasant smell of the mixture.
The Hercules-Siberia company specializes in the production of dry mixes for construction work. The most modern foreign technologies and high quality raw materials are used in the production of products.
The company produces two modifications of polymer-based glue:
Both types of mixes are available in dry form. The maximum volume of a bag with a free-flowing mixture is 25 kg. The universal compound can be used not only for bonding various surfaces, but also for eliminating minor irregularities in walls and floors. Superpolymer modification is excellent for cladding various surfaces of tiles. It can be used for heated floors.
The products manufactured under the Axton trademark are manufactured for the Leroy Merlin chain of stores. Axton polymer-based adhesive has the highest performance characteristics. Such mixtures are used in the manufacture of metal structures, finishing and installation work, as well as for sealing joints.
The Bostik company is one of the world leaders in the production of adhesive mixtures. The company produces compounds intended for both domestic needs and the field of professional construction. All Bostik products comply with international quality standards.
The polymer adhesive Polylex from the manufacturer Bostik is distinguished by a high degree of adhesion. The mixture can be used to bond materials such as ceramic tiles, paper, various types of fabrics, wood-laminated board, linoleum, plastic.
It is necessary to apply polymer-based glue only on a well-cleaned and degreased surface. Otherwise, the consumption of glue may increase significantly, and there will be no guarantee of reliable and high-quality bonding of materials. If the surface to be treated is operated in high humidity conditions, then, if possible, it should be primed.
The adhesive mixture is distributed over the prepared dry substrate. It is important to ensure that the adhesive is applied evenly and in a small layer to avoid dripping. The fastened parts of the products or materials are tightly pressed against each other and kept for the time indicated on the packaging of the composition.
Some modifications of polymer glue contain toxic substances. It is necessary to work with such material in a well-ventilated area. It is recommended to wear gloves on your hands, and to protect the respiratory tract with a respirator.
Polymer glue in action - in the video below.