Alkyd enamel is one of the most popular types of paints and varnishes, which boasts versatility and durability. Due to its unique properties, this material can even be used for exterior decoration of premises.
Alkyd enamel appeared relatively recently and in a short period of time was able to gain popularity, displacing other types of paint and varnish coatings. This product is distinguished by its versatility, due to which it is actively used not only for interior work (floor and wall decoration), but also for exterior renovation.
The defining difference between alkyd and acrylic enamel is resistance to mechanical damage, as well as the ability to perfectly resist abrasion. Even after many years, the surface finished with alkyd enamel continues to retain its attractive appearance.
Thus, one of the main features of this type of enamel is its impressive elasticity and durability. The material takes a minimum amount of time to dry , so it can be used in any room.
Another advantage of this type of paintwork is that it does not turn yellow over time and does not lose its original color.
The unique characteristics of alkyd enamel make it possible to use it during outdoor work, since the material is not afraid of the influence of rain and snow, temperature changes and sun rays. The product contains state-of-the-art ingredients that provide reliable protection of the material against the corrosion process.
It is because of this that it is actively used for finishing metal, as well as wooden objects.
Among the most popular options are the following varieties:
- Fast drying . In most cases, it includes driers and various solvents. Thanks to this, the drying process takes a minimum amount of time, which makes alkyd enamel an ideal solution for interior decoration.
- Melamine alkyd . The peculiarity of this material is that this variety boasts impressive adhesion, therefore melamine alkyd types are used to paint metal.
- Alkyd-urethane . It is a mixture of pigments and targeted additives, which also include special desiccants.
Alkyd enamel is obtained by mixing alkyd varnish and special solvents. However, other components can also be added to the paint composition: to give a certain color, to provide resistance to corrosion, and other additives.
If it is necessary to ensure the resistance of the material to various fungal infections and prevent the development of mold, then antiseptics are added to the product.
It should be noted that, like most other paints and varnishes, enamel, with prolonged disuse, can lose its properties and change its consistency, which can be returned only by adding a special solvent.
As the main constituent substance in such enamel, alkyd varnish is used, which can be of two types:
- Pentaphthalic is a special resin composition to which glycerin and natural oils are added. The main advantage of such a component is that it boasts of its resistance to water.
- Glyphtal . The composition is characterized by a high drying rate, which varies from 24 to 6 hours.
A huge number of alkyd enamels are presented on the modern market, which differ in their active ingredients, characteristics, features of use and other points. Each brand of enamel has its own letter code, which, first of all, indicates which components are part of the material, as well as what it can be used for.
Among the most popular types, the following varieties can be noted:
- An enamel that is suitable for outdoor use. The composition of this material includes unique components that provide reliable protection against external factors.
- For indoor use. These types dry much faster: this process usually takes about a day.
- Temporary enamel, also called conservation enamel.
- An enamel that boasts moisture and water resistance.
- With the presence of special components. For example, an insect repellent coating is common.
- Resistant to electrical conductivity.
- Heat resistant. They are actively used for finishing industrial premises. They boast resistance to too high or low temperatures.
- In recent years, aerosol enamel, which is an opaque glassy composition in a can, has been very popular on the market.
A similar mixture is applied by spraying, which allows the composition to be used in the most inaccessible areas of the surface, where it cannot be reached with a roller or brush.
Depending on the classification of alkyd enamel, the following varieties can be distinguished:
- GF-230 . This material is based on glyphthal components, so it is used for interior decoration. In addition, GF-230 cannot be used outdoors. Among the advantages can be noted a huge selection of colors and ease of application.
- PF-115 . The unique properties of such enamel make it possible to use it for exterior decoration of buildings and facades, for painting both wooden and metal surfaces.
It is necessary to apply PF-115 in two layers, and the drying process takes about 30 hours.
- PF-223 . In most cases, it is used for finishing painting of battery radiators. There are 18 colors in total. Such a composition is diluted using a solvent. It can give off a rather peculiar odor during drying.
- Matte . They are famous for their greater resistance to the influence of water and cleaning agents. The material does not lose its properties even at extremely high temperatures.
The covering ability of the material ensures its economical consumption.
There are certain consumption rates of alkyd enamel per square meter of the painted surface.
In the process of calculating the rate per 1 m2, the following factors should be taken into account:
- the viscosity of the substance - the thicker the substance, the more liquid it can be diluted;
- surface quality and number of layers;
- what work is being done: internal or external.
On average, the consumption of alkyd enamel per 1 m2 is about 110-130 g. In this case, it is imperative to take into account some important points. For example, if a metal surface is painted, the amount of material consumed can increase significantly. The use of enamel indoors will be more than for painting metal outside.
Outside painting during bad weather conditions can also lead to a significant increase in paint consumption. In order to ensure greater efficiency of the enamel, it can be thinned with white spirit, solvent and other solvents .
Before applying each subsequent layer, the previous one must be allowed 24 hours to dry completely.
There are a huge number of manufacturers on the modern market who produce high-quality and reliable alkyd enamels. A wide range of products allows each person to find the best option for construction or decoration. Below are the most popular manufacturers of these products.
Tikkurila Miranol is considered one of the market leaders. The range of the company includes enamels for metal surfaces and wood products, universal options that are distinguished by ease of application and excellent distribution over the surface. The company is one of the few to offer high-impact alkyd enamels that are a good solution for painting tools or bicycles, for example. The main advantage of Tikkurila Miranol is the availability of a huge selection of colors and colors.
"Express". The company specializes in the production of modified enamels, which are intended for the finishing of steel elements. Most of the products include special additives in their composition that provide reliable protection against corrosion, which makes Express enamels an excellent solution for painting metal surfaces.
"Lacra". The company offers high quality alkyd enamels based on alkyd varnish. Among the advantages are unique decorative properties, excellent adhesion to the surface and ease of application. In addition, the materials are renowned for their resistance to water and atmospheric precipitation.
Thanks to their versatility, alkyd enamels can be applied to almost any surface. For interior decoration, this material is actively used for painting radiators. However, it must be ensured that the product is able to withstand high temperatures so that the coating does not crack during the heating season.
You can also use this type of paintwork for painting wood products. It should be borne in mind that the enamel dries on such a coating for at least 30 hours . Also, the material is too viscous, so it is best to thin it with a solvent.
Thus, alkyd enamel is an excellent finishing material, which is famous for its durability, reliability and affordable price.
In the following video, you will learn about the advantages of alkyd enamels over other types of paints.