The appearance of a room and its mood starts from the walls. It is often difficult to choose the right color and texture for the wallpaper, especially if the hall has non-standard dimensions. In this case, designers advise combining them, resulting in an unusual and modern interior, unique in its kind.
Pros and cons
This style of gluing wallpaper has a large number of advantages over plain painted walls:
- Firstly, this is how you can divide the space of the hall into functional zones. Brighter wallpaper can help to create a certain accent in the room, which always improves the appearance of the room.
- Secondly, it is easy to correct the "wrong" geometry of the room. If, for example, the hall is too elongated and has the shape of a carriage, then the combined wallpaper will help to adjust the room. The same can be done with a square hall.
- An excellent advantage is the ability to visually expand and "pull" the space up. This can be achieved in almost any room. Of particular importance here are the pattern and texture of the wallpaper, as well as their position on the wall, taking into account this ornament.
- It is impossible not to mention that the variegated wallpaper in the room makes it unique. It will be difficult to find such an interior, because it is unique. And, most importantly, different wallpapers in different places emphasize the dignity of the hall, making it cozy and comfortable for life.
As such, there are no disadvantages of such room decoration. However, in order to find the perfect combination, you need to look through a large number of wallpaper options, or, if your imagination fails, be guided by classic color combinations or seek help from a specialist.
In the world of decorating and decorating a room, new ideas are constantly appearing, just as in decoration there are combinations of unusual materials and colors. Design solutions in combining two or more types of wallpaper are constantly finding more and more interesting and bold shades, shapes and textures.
Today, there are basic ways to combine various wallpapers, based on which you can create a unique interior and design:
- Horizontal combination of two-tone wallpaper. As experienced room designers say, people try to avoid this option, as it resembles government agencies (hospitals, passport office, etc.). But with the right and competent combination of colors, you can achieve an incredible effect.
Often, the upper part is pasted over with lighter and more monochromatic canvases, and the lower half - with colored wallpaper with a pattern or ornament (it is also specially darkened so that the contrasting light top pulls the room up). The joint is also decorated with panels or stucco molding, it all depends on the room. It is very important to note the fact that the texture must also coincide in the direction, otherwise the space will be "torn".
- Vertical combination of wallpaper. Firstly, this view helps to stretch the room in height (this is especially necessary in houses with a low ceiling). Secondly, this is how the hall can be divided into functional zones. Thirdly, in the part of the room where there is a darker area, it is better to stick light wallpaper, so the space will become lighter and more comfortable.
- Decoration with photo wallpaper and ordinary plain wallpaper. This option is very unique and unusual. Today, high-quality photo wallpapers are created, which sometimes give the illusion of a real painted space on them. It can be a photo of a forest, a beach, some street in a large city. It is advisable to select a second simple wallpaper of a single color, which has a shade closest to the photo wallpaper, so that there is a smooth transition.
- Combination in patchwork style. This method can be called a little lurid and rustic, so it is better to use it in children's rooms. If a person is a fan of this type, then it is best to make small inserts and preferably above the recreation area. In the hall, this place belongs to the sofa area.
It is also desirable that the pieces of wallpaper be no more than 3-4 shades, and the drawings have approximately the same theme, otherwise the room will lose its homeliness and charm. To make it easier to find different wallpaper sheets, you can purchase a ready-made roll with a pattern that imitates a patchwork.
- Combine conventional classic wallpaper with framed wallpaper. This is a very simple and quick option for decorating a room, and the frames can be interchanged, depending on the mood, or you can stick a small piece of colorful and bright canvas over the work area or seating area and frame it with an elegant wooden or plaster frame, it all depends on the general theme of the hall or living room.
If the room has built-in niches or shelves in the wall, then it is interesting to update the plain interior. Designers advise to make decorative accents by pasting shelves or ledges with bright wallpaper stripes. Thus, you can update the room and add more coziness and comfort.
The combination of wallpaper in a particular room can be divided into 3 groups:
- Simple, when, for a combination, they take wallpaper in perfect and practical correspondence and beautifully alternate them in space.
- Average, in this case, the range of selected canvases can have a contrasting combination, that is, the colors may not correspond to each other, but thanks to this, it turns out to zone and divide the room.
- Difficult, here the selection is carried out not from two colors, but from at least three.
To make the repair in the hall perfect, and not have to redo it, you should adhere to certain rules that will help prevent mistakes. This also applies to wallpaper. It should be noted that today there is a wide variety of materials from which they are made. And not always some go well with others.
Depending on the material of manufacture, wallpapers are divided into several types:
- Paper. They come in single layer (simplex) and two layer (duplex). In most cases, they are smooth, without a relief pattern, which makes them almost universal when combined with other types of wallpaper. If two-layer products were chosen, then you need to select a different type of wallpaper with the same sheet thickness, otherwise at the junction one layer will stick out and stand out.
- Non-woven are considered more durable. By its structure, it is a non-woven paper base with the addition of fabric fibers, so they are ideally combined with both the above-mentioned wallpapers and textile ones.
- Vinyl canvases are considered a multi-layered hybrid. Its base can be paper or non-woven, and on top they are covered with a layer of foamed vinyl. By their texture, they are smooth and embossed. Due to their structure, they can be easily combined with paper wallpaper, textile or photo wallpaper, the most important thing is not to forget about the thickness, if there is a visible difference, then the joints can be decorated.
- Glass fiber appeared on the market of building and finishing materials in the XX century. They are made from special fiberglass. They are unique in their characteristics: they can be washed, they hide unevenness on the wall surface well. Due to their density and weighted look, it is better to combine them with the same wallpaper or vinyl.
- Liquid wallpaper is an interesting and unusual look. They are made from cellulose, which, when combined with water, is converted into a sticky mass, and this, in turn, is applied with a spatula to the wall. They can be combined with almost all types of wallpaper, as they can be used to make a relief texture on the wall or absolutely smooth.
- Textile wallpapers are considered one of the most elegant. Their base is made of the same paper, and the front part is made of linen, cotton, velor and even silk. Their appearance does not allow them to be combined with cheap and nondescript wallpaper rolls. For example, fabric canvases will be poorly combined with liquid wallpaper, the gloss and sophistication that expensive silk or linen wallpaper sheets give will be lost. They are best combined with fiberglass, vinyl or quality paper materials.
- Metallic wallpapers can be classified as expensive. They are produced by applying a thin layer of metal (most often aluminum) on a paper base. They harmonize with few of their fellows. Like the above, they should also not be combined with liquid or plain paper wallpaper. The wall "companion" must also match them in its characteristics.
- Cork is one of the most environmentally friendly and natural wallpapers. They are made from cork oak bark, so they are very pleasant to look and feel. It is difficult to combine them with something, so it is better to make small vertical inserts, and let the rest of the wall surface be covered with ordinary matte paper or non-woven wallpaper.
Particular attention should be paid not only to the material, but also to the texture of the combined rolls.
By its quality characteristics, wallpaper can be fibrous, porous, bubbly, as well as imitate the texture of other natural materials, for example, wood, metal, sand, etc. , but, as a rule, it can be rather boring and monotonous. It should be noted that not every texture is suitable for another, there are also rules of combination here.
- When gluing, it is desirable that the texture "goes" in one direction, if it is obvious, otherwise the room will be uncomfortable. Or the stripes should be lined up in such a way that a certain pattern is built due to the texture, which will only add beauty.
- Do not confuse concepts such as texture and texture. The texture can also be different. It can be imitation of plaster, glossy surface, imitation of real canvas or wool.
- In a room with a small area, glossy and matte wallpaper will be very well combined. But a small part should be given under the reflective surface, most often this is the wall opposite the window, so that the light diffuses around the room. In any case, you can experiment using the probes that come from any wallpaper roll store.
How to match colors?
It may seem that it is very simple to choose the options for the right combination of wallpaper for the hall or bedroom, and the decision will come as soon as the person looking for it is in the store. It's not quite that simple. The choice, first of all, should come from the size of the room and its functional purpose. Do not forget that with the help of color you can visually expand the space, eliminate its shortcomings, and also control the mood.
If you can't choose companion wallpaper, then it is better to turn to the colors of the most successful combinations of shades that have been prepared for a long time and have wide access:
- According to experts, the most versatile combinations are shades of beige and brown. Light pistachio is in harmony with orange or light orange, pink with maroon or mahogany, violet with silver or noble gray.
- The light tones of the walls are beautifully combined with bright and juicy colors such as red, emerald, turquoise.
- Masters advise even to use wallpaper of approximately the same color scheme, where one canvas differs from another by 3-4 tones colder or warmer. This option is ideal for classic-style apartments, where clumsy and flashy details are not allowed.
Each color has its own meaning and, as mentioned earlier, the mood that will determine the emotional state of the person in this room.
and s interior:
- For example, poppy or blood red are colors that carry aggression, passion and emancipation. Therefore, the design masters advise to use wallpaper in these shades with small inserts and combine with more calm and relaxing colors.
- Sunny yellow, pure yellow is a palette of carelessness and joy. Color can be combined with many shades, it helps to expand the space, and also just cheer up.
- The next color is orange. It is considered one of the most successful for a hall or living room. It disposes to communication and positive thinking.
- From time immemorial, white has been considered a shading and universal color. You can't get too carried away with it, but alternating with bright wallpaper can and should be. It will help to dilute an overly bright room, as well as indicate the merits of the room.
- Green has always helped people relax. He will bring his unique comfort and sense of security to the interior. It is worth noting the fact that this color tends to narrow the space, so wallpaper strips should be glued to large sections of the walls, otherwise they can reduce an already small living room or bedroom.
- The blue tint has similar parameters. But it also helps you focus and improves productivity.
- Shades of purple will help to add mystery, originality and romance to the apartment. It is very often recommended for the guest room, as it disposes to friendly communication.
- Black should not be avoided when choosing a pair for wallpaper. Of course, you shouldn't take too much of it, but it will add clarity and elegance to the room.
The advantage of combining wallpaper is very obvious - with their help you can correct the imperfections of the space, as well as highlight its best sides. This also applies to the size of the room, since correctly selected wallpaper canvases can increase and improve the space, and, conversely, visually narrow and make it uncomfortable:
- If the owner of the room is not constrained by its small size, but, on the contrary, has a large space, then here you can safely experiment with the direction of the wallpaper, their color and texture. Here you have the opportunity to try bright and bold colors that can make the hall the nucleus of an apartment or house.
- Things are a little more problematic with the selection in a small room or living room. Here you need to consider both the color palette and the direction of the texture and pattern of the wallpaper. The smaller the room, the lighter the colors should be. This will help expand the visual space.
Here, vertically pasted wallpaper with a tone-on-tone color or two that are different from each other can be perfect. It will not break the room that much.
- In a narrow rectangular hall, it is also not easy to visually expand the space. Here, first of all, it is necessary to work with longer opposite walls. Vertical canvases of wallpaper will help narrow the sides that are too elongated, and horizontal ones will increase the small ones.
- Do not forget that there are practically square halls and living rooms. It is better to choose only vertical direction and alternation here, otherwise the horizontal arrangement will make the room even more compressed. Also, masters advise one wall to be accentuated, that is, it will be on it contrasting inserts of wallpaper. This will help divide the space into zones.
- If the room is small, low and has "dark" corners, then the choice should fall only on light wallpaper with a vertical pattern and location on the walls.
- There are apartments with sloping or rounded walls, which makes the room unusual and romantic. Here, because of the non-standard size, you can also beautifully beat the room with combined wallpaper. For a semicircular wall, a horizontal arrangement and a combination of wallpaper are best suited, since usually windows are located in this part.
What to combine with?
To make the hall comfortable and cozy, it is necessary to maintain a balance in the interior due to the external decoration and filling of the room.
In this regard, the masters are advised to combine both wallpaper and interior items with each other:
- The simplest and safest way is to combine two different wallpaper with pieces of furniture. Combined wallpaper with a corner sofa or a regular one will look beautiful. Very often, the hall has plain light wallpapers without a special pattern and texture, which play a background role, and with the help of bright canvases with a pattern or pattern, the space is divided into zones. As a rule, there are few such inserts and the room will look dull and faded if they do not find a color response in the sofa and armchair.
- To add coziness and harmony, pillows are used with the same bright print as on the accent wallpaper, or they are sewn to order from a material that is very close in color and laid out on a neutral-colored armchair or a small sofa.
- A very beautiful and unusual option would be to arrange the wallpaper with a baguette. Thanks to him, you can decorate the joints between two combined canvases. It looks especially impressive when placed horizontally. With decorative borders, the interior also looks neater and more complete.
When placed vertically, their use will also be beautiful and harmonious. But most often baguettes are used as a frame for framing vertical decorative inserts. It turns out that pictures were hung in the room. Both plastic and wooden baguettes are already suitable here.
It is best to use a plaster or plastic molding. They are lightweight and can be easily attached to the wall.
- Do not forget about household items, which can also be beautifully combined with wallpaper and complement the interior. If, for example, wallpaper of a light or beige color was selected for the hall, and black or dark serve as a contrast, then a designer wall clock with the same palette of colors, where the dial is white, and the hands and numbers are black and they have a body with lines that alternate colors.
- Table lamps or floor lamps can be used as color filling. The color of the lampshade or body should match (or have a shade several tones warmer or colder) with bright wallpaper inserts.
- In the case when there is an overlap of the colors of the walls and interior items, but there is no desired comfort, small accessories will help. On the table, you can put decorative candles, which are also combined in color with wallpaper, indoor flowers, and, finally, decorative vases, and they can be both floor and table.
- The most important thing is not to overload the room, but fill it only with the necessary and small trifles for comfort, then you will get a truly beautiful and comfortable place to live.
Today, in the world of home decor and decoration, there is a wide variety of options for how to improve and update the interior of a room. This also applies to wallpaper for the walls. Today, stores are full of rolls made in different themes and styles, since plain and boring wallpapers are no longer interesting to anyone.
When making them, manufacturers always try to adhere to a certain style or direction:
- The most common and frequently bought style is the classic . For the simplified and standard directions, light or pastel shades are characteristic; they should have warm colors, without any bright elements. The material from which the wallpaper is made is also very important. For their production only natural raw materials and components should be taken.
- The next classic style is Baroque . Such wallpapers are very beautiful, it is not for nothing that this type of material adorned the bedrooms of kings and queens. Their peculiarity, first of all, is that they must necessarily have an ornate ornament, unusual patterns, or they must have a natural motif - leaves, flowers, wreaths, etc. The color palette is very diverse and majestic.
You can find bright blue shades, emerald, burgundy, red. The presence of gold-plated elements or silver-plated inserts is also required. It is worth noting that such wallpapers are not suitable for small or narrow rooms, since they, first of all, should show the wealth and wealth of the owner, so in a small room they will look ridiculous.
- Perhaps the most delicate and sublime classical style is Rococo . It is also called a feminine style, since all patterns are very simple and graceful, without much symmetry and geometry. Light pink, pastel and light colors are characteristic. For their production, vinyl or fabric is mainly taken.
- The Provence style is a bit similar in theme to the Rococo . He also carries notes of romance and "airiness". These wallpaper canvases have repeating natural patterns or themes. The color scheme is also close to the above type. In addition to delicate shades of rose and beige, ash green, blue, light purple, mustard are used.
- The next style is Empire . It is quite strict and is preferable for "male" premises. The color palette is dominated by red, purple, brown shades. Its distinguishing feature is its high cost and rigor. In this regard, for the manufacture of such wallpaper is taken mainly from fabric or materials that imitate it. In their structure, they should be monochromatic or have a medium-sized pattern.
- Oriental can be called a very interesting and unusual style . It is sophisticated, minimalistic and at the same time unique and beautiful. It is characterized by such colors as black, yellow, pistachio, mustard, red, carrot, sky blue. Oriental-style wallpapers are characterized by ornaments in the form of a dragon, a snake, a stylized monkey or a tiger.
- For modern interiors, Art Nouveau wallpaper is very often used . There is a combination of natural ornaments with straight lines. The color scheme is very common, without any frills: white, gray, black, violet, blue. They are made from completely different materials (vinyl, paper, fabric).
- Minimalism can be called one of the most strict and restrained styles . Canvases in this direction are made in a muted color scheme, without frills and unnecessary pretentiousness. Most often, this is a plain wallpaper without patterns, and if it is, it is simple and almost invisible and does not distract attention.
- Art-deco is a modern and non-standard style in high demand on the market . Wall canvases are characterized by a rich variety of both geometric, ethnic and chaotic patterns. In this regard, the drawing often has a 3D effect, which allows you to expand the space. As for the color palette, the colors can be completely different, but most often they use black, white, cream, complex shades of red, yellow, blue.
- The patchwork style can be called an innovative and non-standard direction in the production of wallpaper . Initially, this direction was intended for fabric products created from patches, therefore, wallpaper fabrics imitate patchwork sewing. This is a very cozy and "warm" look, which is suitable for both the hall and the bedroom. The most important thing is not to overdo it, wallpapers are most often designed for small areas to create an atmosphere.
They are characterized by floral ornaments, patterns that repeat the knitting and structure of the fabric. This wallpaper is full of colors that give the room a homely charm and simplicity.
- At the turn of the 20th and 21st centuries, the loft style appeared . The designers were able to embody it on the wallpaper. Its characteristic feature is imitation of an attic space, a workshop or an old dilapidated house. Therefore, the ornament of brickwork, wall plaster, etc. is often found. Very often, these wallpapers repeat the texture of metal, plastic or glass.
Beautiful ideas in the interior
Unusual and non-standard combinations of wallpaper in the design of a living room, bedroom or kitchen are becoming more and more popular these days. To facilitate the task of combining wallpaper, there are already certain standards developed by designers as an example of decoration for a room in a "Khrushchev" or a larger hall (18 sq. M.). But you can also independently design the hall of the apartment, guided only by your own inspiration.
This option is a very successful combination of wall wallpaper. Light monophonic ones separate the area for working at the table, and purple ones, with a beautiful leaf pattern in the form of a panel, "invite" to the recreation area. It is worth noting the successful selection of pillows for the sofa and the flower, which are in harmony in color and fill the room with comfort.
Unusual combination of photo wallpaper with simple material. Thanks to the hyper-realism of the wallpaper, the room expands in volume, and is also filled with the romance of the morning forest. The second wallpaper is also well-chosen; it has a pleasant monochromatic pistachio color, which is in harmony with the "forest", and also does not "break" the living room into separate rooms.
The interior of this room is based on symmetry. The vertical wallpaper inserts with irises are clearly lined up with the sofa and armchair. Moreover, the chair perfectly matches the color of the stems, and the sofa - with flower petals and a background wall covering. The result is a cozy and comfortable room for receiving guests or spending the evening watching the TV with loved ones.
Analyzing the combination of wallpaper in this version, we can say that the room has a modern interior. White wallpaper in combination with a small insert of a canvas with a small geometric pattern makes the room unusual and interesting. This decision will most likely be appreciated by the younger generation, since there is no comfort familiar to everyone.
It may seem that the room is gloomy, due to the monochromatic combination of shades on the sofa and walls. But in the evening, with a lit fireplace, the living room will be filled with warmth and comfort. Thanks to the fine pattern, the fireplace area turns into the main accent of the room, where the whole family wants to gather.
To dilute a plain and boring room, it is not always necessary to paste over most of the room, you can do as in this example. The living room has a pleasant monochrome blueberry color, it was diluted with pink wallpaper with floral patterns, which, firstly, refresh the room, and secondly, make it more habitable and cozy. This effect is greatly complemented by bright pillows and an armchair.
How to choose wallpaper for the hall, see the next video.