A good night's sleep for any person is the key to good health and excellent mood for the whole day. However, without certain conditions, it is unlikely that you will get enough sleep. Silence, fresh air and comfortable bedding are essential. These include bed linen, a comfortable mattress, a warm blanket, and a soft pillow of a suitable size.
Today, manufacturers produce many models with a variety of fillers that have their own characteristics. The materials used to fill the pillows are either artificial or natural.
The most numerous group is synthetic fillers.
- The most economical option is a lightweight synthetic winterizer that does not cause allergic reactions. Pillows filled with padding polyester are lightweight and easy to wash. The synthetic winterizer is more suitable for decorative pillows.
- The soft hypoallergenic filler holofiber has good characteristics. Sleeping products with holofiber fibers are lightweight and perfectly machine wash. This filler is used for a wide variety of pillow sizes.
- Polyester fiber komerel is a small balls coated with silicone. The material is perfectly breathable, there is no allergy from it. Most often it is used to fill pillows intended for children (for example, size 40x60).
- Polyurethane foam with special additives or memorix is an excellent filler for orthopedic pillows. This material is distinguished by excellent breathability and memory effect.
Natural materials include fillers of both animal and plant origin.
- Down and feathers are the most common fillers made from natural materials. There are products filled only with down, and there are pillows that include both down and feather. Down and feather pillows keep heat well and absorb excess moisture, they are usually produced by manufacturers in sizes 68 × 68, 60 × 60, 50 × 70, 40 × 60 and 40 × 40.
There is an opinion that down and feather products are a favorable habitat for ticks, but many manufacturers do anti-mite treatment and ozonation to protect pillows from the effects of these pests. In addition, high-quality covers for such pillows do not allow the filler to be knocked out.
However, this filler also has a minus - it is difficult to clean. Due to the increased absorbency of this filler, it is necessary to periodically dry the pillows.
- Wool-filled pillows are most commonly found in sizes 40x80, 50x70 and 40x60. The advantage of this filler is good thermal conductivity and air permeability. They have a specific smell, they need special care.
Fillers made from natural materials of plant origin combine two qualities: they are hypoallergenic and breathable.
Excellent shape-holding latex is most often found in orthopedic pillows, which are rectangular and small in size, such as 50 × 70, 50 × 80, 45 × 80. Such a product provides the most comfortable position for the head and neck of a sleeping person.
- Recently, bamboo fiber has been gaining in popularity. A hygroscopic, wear-resistant material with an antibacterial effect, used as a filling for pillows of all sizes. Products 70 × 70 and 50 × 70 are especially popular.
- Buckwheat husk, which has a massage effect, is most often placed in small pillows. Most often these are products 40 × 60, 50 × 60 and 50 × 70. Hull pillows cannot be washed, you can only vacuum them and dry them in the sun.
What are they?
Currently, pillows can be divided into decorative items, sleep models and special orthopedic products.
Currently, manufacturers produce pillows in a variety of sizes. There are both the usual standard options and products with very specific dimensions.
- During the Soviet era, large products with a size of 70 × 70 cm were in demand. They are produced now, but they are gradually giving way to pillows with a size of 50 × 70 cm. This size is the standard for all countries of the European Union and the United States.
- In Russia, the most popular are three sizes: 70 × 70 cm, 50 × 70 cm and 60 × 60 cm. The pillowcases included in the bed linen also correspond to these sizes.
- Pillowcases 70 by 70 are included in 1.5-bed, 2-bed, family and euro sets. Pillowcases in sizes 50 by 70 are usually included in family sets and euros. Pillowcases 60 by 60 are created less often and are most often available in 1.5-bed rooms or are part of family sets and euros.
- There is a standard size for children - it is 60 × 40 cm. Currently, this size is the European standard, adopted not only in Europe, but also in Russia.
- Non-standard products include special pillows for pregnant women: 30 × 170 cm, 35 × 190 cm, 35 × 280 cm, 35 × 340 cm and many other sizes.
You can distinguish not only the length and width of this product for sleeping, but also the value responsible for comfort - this is the height. It depends on the type of filler and packing density. As a rule, this value varies between 6-16 cm.
Throw pillows come in a variety of sizes. They are designed to decorate the interior of a room. Generally, the length and width of the pillows are the same. The most popular sizes are 40 by 40, 50 by 50, 45 by 45.
Do not forget about the existence of orthopedic pillows. These types are created specifically for the prevention of certain diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Some are designed for sleeping on your back, others for sleeping on your side, while others relieve snoring. There are products that are not placed under the head, but, for example, under the lower back. They are intended for people who spend a lot of time either at the computer or behind the wheel of a car.
Pillows can be of different lengths and heights - depending on the purpose.
The length varies between 40-80 cm, and the width of these products is in the range of 30-50 cm. These intervals are close to standard values.
Do not forget that there is such a value as height, which depends on the type of filler. As a rule, it varies in the range of 6-16 cm. The average height of such products is in the range of 10-14 cm. Height from 8 to 11 cm, as a rule, is intended for people of large build. A height from 10-14 cm is most convenient for people whose height is above 165 cm, and a 13-16 cm pillow is suitable for people who are less than 165 cm tall.
Square and rectangular shapes are traditional options and are considered the most suitable for sleeping. A square or rectangular pillow is time-tested and fits the vast majority of people. For square products, the length is always equal to the width. Rectangular sleep products have different widths and lengths.
Particularly popular are narrow rectangular products. With a rectangular shape, putting your shoulders on the pillow will not work, and this is good, since only the head and neck should be on the pillow. Therefore, the size 50 × 70 is optimal from a physiological point of view.
Orthopedic pillows are also available, which have a variety of shapes, degrees of rigidity and location of bends.
Products with protrusions and recesses are anatomical options.
The protrusion is in the neck area and a special notch is in the head area. This unusual shape ensures a pleasant and healthy sleep - thanks to the natural position of the head and neck. It must be remembered that such products do not cure diseases, but only ensure the correct position of the spine.
Pillows are also available in the shape of a roller, horseshoe and circle. The roller and horseshoe are portable options and allow a person to relax during the flight, relieve muscle tension during long bus tours and long car trips. These options are not suitable for daily use.
The round shape is not very convenient as a permanent sleep item. This pillow is more suitable as a decorative decoration.
Sleeping pillow size chart
Everyone can choose a product to their liking. Each country has its own pillow sizes. The most popular are the sizes of pillows adopted in three countries.
You will learn more about how to choose the right pillow in the following video.
Tips for choosing
The head, neck and shoulders need good support, so the pillow should do this well. When choosing it, one should take into account the shape, size and rigidity. For each person, these indicators differ and depend on the position of the body during sleep, physique, size and shape of the berth.
Depending on the posture taken during the night's rest, you need to purchase products of different shapes.
- For those who like to sleep on their side, it is better to choose a pillow with a height of about 16 cm. In this position, the high side of the product will ensure the correct position of the neck - without excessive bending. For those who like to spend most of their sleep on their stomach or on their back, a flat version is suitable.
- For people with broad shoulders, it is better to choose a large fluffy pillow with a size of at least 50x70. The height of the product is selected according to the width of the shoulders. The best option is when the height of the product is equal to the shoulder width.
In addition, the size of the bed must be taken into account.
- A small pillow is suitable for a round crib - 40 × 60. As a rule, the size of the pillow corresponds to the size of the berth.
- For a large double bed, two products are chosen. Before making a purchase, it is better to find out the width of the mattress and (based on the value obtained) to purchase products whose total width will not exceed the size of the berth. For a single bed 80 cm wide, all pillows will generally work.
- If you wish, you can buy a pillow according to an individual size , because manufacturers offer a variety of options. But it must be remembered that due to the non-standard size of the product, you will either have to alter the pillowcases or buy additional pillowcases of the required size. This option is not for everyone.
Today the assortment of manufactured products is very wide, and you can choose a pillow not only for a bed, but also for any sleeping place, including a gas carpet.