Cactus mix is a composition of small cactus plants grown in one pallet. Many lovers of these plants are attracted by this particular form of cultivation. However, not everyone knows how to choose the right cacti in a set, how to care for such plants, how to propagate these representatives of the flora. Before you get such a green home decoration, you need to familiarize yourself with the theory of care, as well as purchase the necessary equipment. Information on all of the above issues is presented in this article.
Like any houseplant, the cactus mix has its own unique characteristics. The main ones include several points.
- To grow a "set" of plants, it is necessary to select varieties of cacti that get along well with each other. Often Dutch varieties are combined in the mix.
- The rule for maintaining such a mini-greenhouse is also the same size of all its components. Otherwise, taller cacti will shade others, causing the balance to be disturbed.
- Each cactus should be placed in a separate container (mostly small pots are used for this). It is advisable that they be made of plastic, which is mainly suitable for young cacti, or clay. The round shape of the vessels is preferable, since it is thanks to it that the air circulation in the soil improves. All containers with plants are placed close to each other in several rows, due to which a single composition is created.
- The combination of cactus varieties with other types of succulents in the same mix is undesirable. Despite the same size of plants, their climate and care needs can vary greatly, which will subsequently complicate the growth and development of these flora representatives.
- Unlike a simple cactus, mixes look very unusual and creative, since the components harmoniously complement each other and form different compositions. This green decor fits well with some interior concepts, for example, eco-style.
- It is worth counting on the flowering of plants only with proper care. For the most part, cacti bloom infrequently and only under ideal conditions for this.
- The most suitable place for a small greenhouse would be a windowsill, since a lot of light is falling on it, which is necessary for cacti. However, it is worth making sure that the plants are not too close to the radiators.
The group of cacti that make up the composition of a mini-greenhouse may include various types of mini-succulents, each of which, in addition to common features, has individual characteristics. The most popular are several types.
- Gymnokalycium Mikhanovich is a cactus with an unusual-shaped colored stem with several sharp edges. The color of this small plant can be deep green, brown or even whitish. Such a plant is grafted onto a green cactus stock.
- Espostoa is an unusual type of cactus plant. Its main feature is soft long white hairs instead of the usual spiny needles. Such an instance will successfully dilute the overall composition.
- Red ferocactus is another type of cactus that is suitable for the mix and draws attention to itself. A feature of the plant is rather long and bright needles. In this case, the size of the stem can be no more than ten centimeters. It is colored red, which is very unusual for this plant family. The cactus has massive ribs, as well as a not too developed rhizome, which grows mainly in breadth.
- Stenocactus is an interesting variety, a distinctive feature of which is the presence of many folds that form the ribs of the stem.
- Gymnocalycium Damsa is a cactus that begins to bloom at a fairly early age. It is characterized by light large buds. The plant is not demanding to care for.
- The small-flowered cactus has a flattened stem of a small height (about 7 centimeters). The ribs of such a representative of the flora are low. It blooms beautifully. White flowers at the base have a red tint.
- Andre - has an unusual structure. The dark green stem has pressed spines, and when the plant blooms, bushes with many bright yellow flowers are formed.
Thus, with the help of a variety of uniquely shaped cacti, you can make a truly atypical mini-greenhouse for every taste. The main thing is to take proper care of each of the varieties and follow the general recommendations for keeping cacti.
The nuances of growing
It is not so difficult to care for a cactus mix at home. To do this, it is enough to remember a few basic rules and timely perform procedures that provide plants with comfort.
- Pay attention to the soil. You can buy a ready-made composition for cacti, or you can make the necessary soil mixture yourself, using components such as leaf earth, peat, river sand, as well as charcoal powder. Remember that all components must be decontaminated by steam or heat treatment.
- When the active stage of the growing season begins , it is necessary to supply the soil composition with additional fertilizers, which are usually applied to the soil along with moisture during irrigation. They are sold ready-made and are specially designed for succulents and members of the cactus family. Remember to stop applying nutrients in the fall and also 30 days before the expected flowering.
- So that the plants growing in the neighborhood do not experience discomfort , it is necessary to prune the shoots in a timely manner. This must be done carefully, so it is recommended to use only sharp blades or knives.
- As the plants grow, it is necessary to replant them in a timely manner. The signal to start this procedure will be the growth of the root system to such an extent that it fills the entire pot. The new pot should be slightly larger than the previous one. During the transplanting process, do not forget to make a drainage layer 1 to 3 centimeters thick, depending on the height of the container. After completing the procedure, do not add moisture to the soil for several days, and fertilizer for 1-2 months.
- It is advisable to vary the temperature at which the mix resides throughout the year. In summer, readings from +22 to +27 degrees Celsius are permissible. In autumn, the temperature level should be lowered to +16 degrees. In winter, it should be about 10-12 degrees Celsius. Remember that the minimum allowable temperature is 7 degrees above zero.
- Watering is a very important procedure for a mini greenhouse, which is also regulated by the current season. In summer, more moisture must be applied, so the recommended frequency of watering is every other day. Better to do this in the morning. The water should be warm (about 30-40 degrees).
If the cacti are kept warm in winter, then water should be applied to the ground 1-2 times a month. If the plant is in a room with a lower temperature, then in the winter season, you can not water at all. Cacti tolerate this quite well. With the onset of spring, soil moisture should be gradually renewed.
- During the growth of cacti, high humidity will be useful. You can create it by covering the plants after watering for an hour and a half. As these representatives of the flora grow, increase the frequency of airing the mini-greenhouse.
- Despite the fact that most cacti need a lot of light, it is desirable that it be diffused. Therefore, during the midday sun, lightly shade the mini-greenhouse so that the rays shine softly.
You can propagate cacti from the mix using cut "babies" that have air roots. After cutting the shoots, you need to dry the cut site for several days so that it is covered with a thin layer of skin. After that, you need to make a wet soil mixture. It contains two components: sand and peat. Root the shoot in the soil without deeply deepening it. Place a support (a small wooden stick or stone) next to it. Cover the top with a plastic bag to create a greenhouse environment.
If you do not take care of the cactus mix in a timely manner, then there will be a risk of serious ailments.
- If the wintering conditions are not observed, the stems of the cacti are bent, and the size of the thorns decreases.
- If there is not enough light for the plants, this can lead to etiolation, in which the cactus stem will stretch out, and the green color will be discolored.
- If you sharply lower the temperature in which the mix resides, the stalks of the cacti can shrink. Therefore, carry out its gradual decrease before wintering.
- The growth of buds can stop if cold moisture is introduced into the soil after a long break. The buds turn into dried flowers and fall off.
- Control sunlight and fertilizer to prevent brown spots on cacti.
Thus, the cactus mix will be an excellent addition to your home and will delight the eye every day if you take painstaking care of each of the plants and pay attention to the changes associated with the flowering period and seasons.
See below for more details.