Interior doors act not only as functional elements of the furnishings, separating and isolating rooms from each other, but are also an important decorative component of the interior. One of the possibilities to diversify the environment without resorting to expensive repairs is the original design and decor of the door.
Thanks to such a simple solution, the interior will acquire individuality, which is quite difficult to achieve with ready-made store solutions.
Often the reason for decorating doors is negative changes in their appearance due to operation, when the door leaf is covered with scratches, cracks, chips and other defects. At the same time, the door itself works as it should: it closes and opens perfectly, does not jam or creak. It's a pity to change it, and it's not necessary. There are many simple and effective techniques that allow you to quickly and inexpensively reanimate old doors, giving them a second life. Let's talk about this.
In various styles
Doors are an important style-forming element of the interior. Most likely, one of the selection criteria when buying was their style. For the same reason, when planning to decorate doors, immediately decide on the style component of the future design. Consider the popular style directions:
- Classic style. The verified proportions of the doors inherent in ancient Roman and ancient Greek classicism, and the luxurious artsy decor of the paintings, typical of palace styles, and the simplest design in the neoclassical trends are considered classics. Due to their massiveness, authentic classic doors are usually associated with the interiors of country houses. In reality, however, they often decorate a variety of apartments, in line with the owners' idea of comfort. You can update their appearance in different ways.
So, the design of paneled interior doors is distinguished by the presence of a visible wooden frame, which performs a load-bearing function and curly inserts - panels. They can be glass or from sheet materials - MDF / chipboard or plywood. Relief elements can be interestingly played with mirror mosaics, and glass surfaces can be painted with acrylics.
- Minimalism and hi-tech. Among the most sought-after style directions, the leadership belongs to high-tech and minimalist designs. They are characterized by impersonality, inconspicuousness, versatility, thoughtfulness and convenience. They are combined with furnishings in any modern design and do not make claims to the most daring artistic experiments of the owners.
Having a tendency to frequently change the space, but without radical transformations, you can simply limit yourself to changing the color of the doors.
- Provence. The design in the style of gentle pastoral French country, like the scandi design, gravitates towards a light palette of shades. Therefore, in such houses and apartments, white doors are often met. You can transform their appearance with patinated finishes. There are various methods of creating a fashionable semi-antique plaque from simple patination to the use of gold, silver and bronze and complex surface treatment technology with obtaining two effects - patina + craquelure. The last two methods of coating are quite difficult to reproduce at home, but the first option can be mastered by anyone.
- Vintage. The vintage direction echoes the French country. However, vintage interiors are distinguished not by cozy lightness, but by well-groomed old-fashioned or even artificial "aged". The versatility of vintage doors allows them to fit into living spaces of any size, including open-plan spaces.
Decoupage technique is a great way to update door designs.
- Loft. The popular brutal design in the attic style allows the use of door designs in any design, but sliding door designs remain the ideal solution for such interiors. They can be used to divide large studio spaces by performing zoning. In this case, it is worthwhile to decorate the doorways in an original way.
The main thing here is to decide on the shape of the opening: in the form of a rectangle, an arch - round, ellipsoidal, trapezoidal, asymmetric, or imitation of an arch with openwork corners.
The most popular materials include PVC panels, polyurethane stucco moldings, artificial decorative stone and clinker - these are brick tiles. The design of the opening looks most effective, where the bricks are laid out by analogy with masonry. Since it is not necessary to clearly draw lines, everyone can implement this task without the involvement of specialists.
Purpose of premises
It is wrong to believe that door decor is suitable exclusively for interior structures. It is no less interesting to arrange the door of the pantry, utilitarian premises and the entrance to the hallway. When choosing a design, they start from the style orientation of the interior. It is important that the doors in the room are in harmony with the existing furnishings, and the entrance metal door does not contradict the interior design of the corridor. In addition, the dimensions of the room are taken into account, since some types of finishing materials are able to visually change the proportions of the space, and not always for the better. We'll talk about this a little later.
The most uncomplicated and simple in execution option for decorative finishing of doors is painting. You can make them monochromatic or decorate them in different colors, if you wish, also create interesting patterns.
Paints with interesting effects for metal, leather or marble will help to emphasize the volume of protrusions and the originality of the design of decorative overlays on embossed door leaves.
Regardless of the method chosen, the doors are removed and placed in a horizontal position - it is more convenient to work with the paint and it will lie more evenly, without forming ugly smudges. Preparation involves cleaning the surface from old paint, sanding and priming. Glass inserts are pasted over with masking tape. With a simple one-tone painting, everything is clear.
But when several colors are used, they first paint the background areas, letting them dry out, after which they begin to design decorative elements and moldings with contrasting shades. To create a simple geometric pattern - striped, diamond-shaped, combined with masking tape, the desired areas are delimited, and then painted over.
Decorating doors with more complex floral or fantasy patterns involves the use of stencils.
Features of painting with acrylic
Glass painting is performed using acrylic paints. Since a stained-glass window is being created, it is impossible to do without stencils and decorative mastic to form a contour with an imitation of a metal frame. To decorate the glass surface with stained glass paints, the canvas must be placed horizontally. You can use ready-made stencils or your own production.
How to decorate?
The following several methods are suitable for updating old doors in cases where you have to deal not with a couple of scratches that are easily masked with butterfly stickers, but with an orderly worn canvas. That is, it already needs global transformations.
Decoupage technique allows you to create unique stylish vintage pieces. Various household items are decorated with original themes, using cut paper pictures, napkins, decoupage cards, and fabric. Although you can decorate any surface: glass, leather, plastic, plywood, but it is on wood that decoupage trim looks most impressive.
To decorate a door:
- The surface is prepared - cleaned, sanded and primed with a white / transparent emulsion
- They make blanks from napkins and stick them according to a planned scheme.
- The composition is allowed to dry and varnished in several layers. Before applying each layer of varnish, they are passed over the door leaf with an emery cloth to make it more smooth.
Such doors will organically complement any interior, making it unique and memorable.
The decor of openings with artificial stone looks most attractive in spacious rooms. With all the advantages of decorative stone, it “eats up” space. For a country house, this option is ideal, while in an apartment the implementation of such a door frame will be successful only if the interior is kept in the tendencies of minimalism. That is, the furniture ensemble is formed from a minimum number of furnishings.
This decision is also justified when it is necessary to hide the inaccuracies of finishing. They can be easily hidden by placing a stone around the door block, capturing problem areas.
In terms of aesthetics, this option is one of the most advantageous, because the texture of the stone looks very beautiful. A variety of colors allows you to choose an option for any interior.
If the wallpaper decor option is definitely not suitable for the entrance doors, then it is quite suitable for decorating the elements of the interior space. The advantage of this method is efficiency, and the disadvantage is fragility due to the rapid wear of the material itself, which leads to the inevitable loss of its original appearance. Even if you glue the door leaf with washable wallpaper, which is designed for a certain amount of wet treatments, you will still not be able to admire the results of your work for a long time.
So, you can use:
- Wall wallpaper. If you need the doors to be monochromatic, use wallpaper of one type, and to compose a complex composition - several. The main thing is to keep the color balance, then the design will turn out to be harmonious.
- Photo wallpaper. Modern types of photowall-paper please with high quality images, accurate and problem-free joining of canvases with each other. Thanks to special photo wallpapers, the size of which is equal to the standard size of the door structure, and its design does not imply glass inserts and moldings, finishing takes a minimum of time.
- Liquid wallpaper. With their help, you can interestingly decorate doors, creating beautiful, unique patterns. The advantages of this method lie in the originality of the design and the simplicity of pasting the doors with standard roll wallpaper, and the disadvantage - it is absolutely unacceptable for rooms with high humidity - kitchens and bathrooms.
Regardless of the type of wallpaper used, the door surface will need to be prepared before pasting, which means cleaning old paint, filling cracks, sanding and degreasing the door leaf.
With this convenient and extremely effective method, even those who are far from fine art can become the owner of exclusive interior doors. And all thanks to the stencil - a truly ingenious invention that allows you to realize yourself as a painter without being such.
You can get hold of suitable stencils both in an ordinary building hypermarket and in a specialized store, where a variety of patterns on floral and animalistic themes, drawings of hieroglyphs, geometric shapes, abstract ornaments and much, much more are offered. The decorating process boils down to applying a stencil to the prepared canvas, followed by applying paint.
The advantages are obvious - speed, simplicity and accessibility to everyone.
You can stylishly decorate the entrance or interior door with bright mosaic compositions from ceramic tiles. An alternative to ceramics can be wood, veneer, or finished glass mosaics. These materials are lighter, which eliminates the heavy load on the door block, as can be the case with tiles, which still weigh a lot.
This option is great for door designs with a mirror.
Moreover, in addition to the door itself, you can also trim the slopes, highlighting them with an original pattern. You can decorate the door leaf both completely and partially, placing the patterns symmetrically or vice versa, asymmetrically, which always looks very stylish.
Another interesting option is the finishing of paneled doors with polyurethane or foam moldings in the form of overhead volumetric strips. Their use allows you to imitate stucco molding. Decorative elements are fixed to the canvas with liquid nails. Contrasting moldings is a popular design technique that is universally applicable to bohemian boudoir designs and austere classic living rooms. Although the black and white duet is considered an interior classic, it has already become boring.
New favorites of designers are pairs of green and white, yellow and blue, blue and red.
Refining the old canvas
It's never too late to get rid of an old or damaged door, although sometimes it is much more profitable to restore it than to buy a new one. In the same "stalinkas" there are real handmade rarities with unique decor or specimens from a valuable array. If you refine such a door, then the interior will only benefit from this.
And replacing doors in "Khrushchev" is generally a costly occupation, since dismantling a door block entails many hidden problems. We will have to build up walls, make noise insulation, and often transfer communications. Therefore, it is worth considering once again whether you are ready for such a turn of events. It is much cheaper and easier to decorate the doors.
- The doors are removed from their hinges and placed on a flat base.
- The surface is treated with sandpaper - first fine-grained, then coarse-grained or with a grinder, until the door leaf becomes perfectly smooth.
Then the method of decoration is chosen. It is still better to entrust the decor of antique doors to masters who are familiar with the subtleties of working with wood of different species.
Transformation of the door using the decoupage technique, see the next video.
Doors are the face of the house, and their design largely reflects the character of the owners. Therefore, it is so important that the design of the doors is interesting and creates a welcoming atmosphere. Boring, faceless door designs deprive the interior of the main thing - individuality.
Ideas for the design of doors and openings in the interior of different rooms:
- Artistic painting transforms ordinary doors into real works of art. Light-colored door panels with fine hand-painted look look amazing, however, and they are worth it. If you are good at drawing, you can easily reproduce such scenes or create your own unique pattern.
- The possibilities of photo wallpaper in the interior are very extensive due to the creation of realistic paintings with stunning color reproduction. Thus, perspective views visually adjust the proportions of rooms, 3D abstractions add volume and emphasize the depth of the architecture of the space, and scenes from the fantasy world make the interior more expressive. Appreciate how beautiful these doors look.
- The combined decor of the doors is interesting: decoration of openings with stone and mosaic of the canvas itself, painting in combination with stucco elements painted in the same tone, painting and decor from rivets.
- Doors decorated with fabrics, leatherette or in the fashionable patchwork technique look advantageous in a variety of styles - from shabby chic to retro.
- Decorating doors with all kinds of stickers has a lot of advantages - they are inexpensive, they hide defects well and do not leave marks on the canvas.
- Monochromatic coloring of doors allows you to place accents in monochrome interiors, if you use contrasting colors, or vice versa, to support the color scheme of the situation by decorating the canvas with one of the consonant shades.
- The entrance doors of private houses, on which themed wreaths, asymmetrical and cascading flower arrangements, fruit still lifes and fairy-tale characters, flaunt, are a sign of a hospitable home, where an atmosphere of warmth and comfort reigns.