More recently, one could only dream of a separate dressing room. Today this dream is becoming a reality. You can store almost everything in it - from clothes and shoes to jewelry, accessories and household items.
The larger the room, the more functional a wardrobe can be. But even in a small-sized Khrushchev apartment, a corner of 2 sq.m. and turn it into a complete, comfortable and practical dressing room.
Features and Benefits
Before developing a design project for future housing, owners often consider using a separate dressing room in the room. This room has several functions:
- optimal sorting and high-quality storage of clothes, shoes, hats and other things;
- storage of everything you need in one place and in a free access zone;
- all things located inside are hidden from prying eyes by a door, screen, curtain (a great advantage over open shelves);
- to equip the dressing room, you can use a previously unused space (under the stairs or even a pantry);
- a wardrobe helps to hide irregularities or other flaws in the wall.
A large mirror inside the dressing room instantly turns it into a convenient place for changing and trying on.
The features of a small dressing room include the following points:
- the impossibility of installing an oversized cabinet in the room. The best option would be shelves or an open rack;
- the room can be closed with hinged or sliding doors or do without them;
- the layout should be thought out especially carefully so that a person entering the room can easily find everything he needs;
- lighting should be sufficient so that the room is not dark;
- such a room will not hold many things.
A small room, in addition to such features and disadvantages, has a number of noticeable advantages over large dressing rooms. Among them:
- Budgetary. Creating and decorating a small room will be much cheaper than arranging a large space.
- Good capacity. It all depends on a competent layout and optimal use of free space.
- Saving space in other rooms. Creating a dressing room will save on the purchase of a separate wardrobe, chest of drawers, nightstands.
- Neat appearance.
Choice of layout and location
As for the layout, the dressing room should not have a too complex geometric shape. The most optimal options:
- Corner room. This layout is perfect even for small rooms. Racks, shelves and other furniture can be arranged in the form of a triangle, trapezoid or in the form of the letter "L".
- U-shaped room. Perfect for rectangular, elongated rooms. Shelves and shelves are placed on both sides of the room, and there is also room for a large mirror.
- Linear room. Furniture is located along one wall. In this case, it is necessary to use the useful area as competently as possible so that the room does not turn out to be too elongated. This will create certain difficulties in finding the right things.
Compact room of 2 sq. m does not provide a large number of options for placing furniture and options for arranging a dressing room. Usually, the most suitable corner in the apartment is used for this.
The dressing room can be located in the hallway, bedroom, living room, children's room or even on the balcony. An ideal option is the storage room available in the apartment.
When choosing a suitable location, the following room requirements must be considered:
- Its width should be at least 1 meter, length - at least 5 meters. These are the minimum dimensions of the space in which you can arrange the necessary racks and hang shelves.
- A room with an area of 2 sq.m. it is best used specifically for storing clothes, things and accessories. Tools, inventory, household appliances will only make an already small space, turning it into an ordinary pantry.
- The issue with the ventilation device must be considered. The accumulation of large amounts of clothing in a small space (especially closed and unventilated) can lead to an unpleasant smell.
- A mirror is required. It will add light to the room and turn it into a real dressing room.
Now you can proceed directly to drawing up a design project for the future premises.
- On a schematic drawing, outline the location of racks, shelves, boxes. Don't forget about communications, lighting and ventilation.
- Conditionally divide the room into 3 zones (clothes, shoes, hats and accessories). They should all have different widths and depths.
- Mark the location of the mirror and additional light sources if necessary.
How to organize the space?
For the most optimal organization of a small space, you need to be especially careful when choosing furniture for arranging a room. Among such functional items are:
- Barbells (one or more at different levels for neat and compact placement of shirts, dresses and other clothing).
- Shelves (used for storing bed and underwear, T-shirts, shoes, bags).
- Mesh baskets.
- Special accessories (skirt, trouser, shoe).
- A pouf or small sofa for the convenience of fitting.
The middle zone is occupied by open shelves, mesh baskets, rods. The top shelf is suitable for storing hats or items that are rarely used. The lower tier is ideal for storing shoes.
Design and lighting
An important role in the arrangement of the dressing room is played by its design. For interior decoration, mainly practical, durable materials are chosen that do not "eat up" an already small space, for example, plastic, glass wallpaper, paint. Light, light colors will add light, lightness and airiness to the room.
High-quality lighting will not only allow you to quickly find the desired item of clothing, but also make the room more spacious. Small wardrobes most often do not have natural light sources, so you have to resort to artificial light. A bulky chandelier or heavy sconces are not recommended for use in dressing rooms. Better to consider the option with LED strips. If the wardrobe is supposed to have closed drawers, then local lighting systems can be used.
The main light source should be located in the center of the ceiling, and the perimeter of the room can be decorated with spotlights or LED strip.
In order to compact and beautifully place a lot of things, you do not always need a lot of space. This miniature dressing room is a perfect proof of that! 4 rods allow you to sort men's and women's clothing. The shelves are suitable for storing shoes. Closed drawers of different sizes are the ideal solution for storing bed linen, socks, underwear, T-shirts, T-shirts. Several baskets of different capacities are suitable for storing other things.
The U-shaped dressing room allows you to allocate a separate rack for storing shoes, and set aside two walls for placing clothes for the whole family. Several bars will easily cope with household clothing. Open shelves are ideal for storing bed linen or towels. Closed drawers can be used to store underwear and socks. The upper part of the structure is used as a mezzanine for storing bulky items. The shelves can be used to store jewelry and accessories boxes.
So that a small room does not seem even smaller, it is best to use metal structures to arrange it. They do not take up much space, are durable, reliable and very graceful. Transparent containers are used to store laundry. Several small rods located at different levels allow you to sort clothes by type (dresses, shirts and skirts separately).
The open sections house the shoes perfectly, and the handbags sit on the top shelf. Suitcases and travel bags "hid" on the mezzanine. Neat and tasteful! From prying eyes, the dressing room "hides" behind a thick textile curtain.