The times when all private houses and dachas were the same as "from a casket" are long gone. Today, facades are distinguished by a notable variety of geometric shapes, textures and shades. A wide range of offered finishing materials makes it possible to implement the most non-standard and original solutions when decorating your home, to give it a more stylish, bright and aesthetic look.
The maximum scope for imagination in this regard is provided by siding, one of the highest quality types of finishes with a large selection of textures and shades.
Nowadays, for the production of building materials, a variety of raw materials are used, ranging from stone and metal to waste products. In this regard, siding can please - the panels are made from a variety of materials, so everyone can find a modification to their taste and wallet.
Siding is a modern high-quality material, widely used for cladding private houses, summer cottages and other buildings. The main function of the panels is to protect facades from adverse atmospheric factors (humidity, temperature differences, wind, ultraviolet radiation).
There are several main types of siding: metal, wood and vinyl.
The panels are made of cold-rolled galvanized steel, pural or polyester are used as the coating. The thickness starts from 1 mm, and the width - from 55 cm.
Surfaces can be smooth or curly. Smooth panels have been in great demand in recent years, due to the ease of installation of panels in any position - both horizontally and vertically.
Metal siding has extremely high consumer characteristics:
- hygroscopic - resistant to moisture;
- does not change its physical and technical properties under conditions of temperature drops, its functionality remains unchanged at t from -50 to +80 degrees Celsius;
- does not ignite, protects walls from fire;
- wear-resistant, resistant to mechanical shock and damage;
- rodents cannot spoil this material, mold does not form in it, and fungus does not multiply;
- panels are easy to install and operate;
- made of environmentally friendly raw materials, does not emit harmful and toxic substances, does not contain radiation;
- has a long service life - more than 50 years.
The product is widely used in the construction of new buildings and the restoration of old buildings. It is equally popular in private housing construction, in the facing of commercial and public establishments.
This type of siding is also called Canadian. Its undoubted advantages include environmental friendliness - the panels are made of high quality natural wood, however, the cost of such materials, respectively, is quite high. The raw material for the production of boards is compressed wood mixed with special polymer components. The additives protect the wood from external factors, give it additional resistance to moisture and temperature extremes, make the panels durable and emphasize the natural beauty of the texture.
Main characteristics of wood siding:
- slabs are moisture resistant;
- the material is not subject to damage by insects and parasites, as well as mice and rats;
- exhibits excellent fire-resistant properties;
- have a reduced thermal conductivity, due to which it retains and retains heat inside the room;
- allows the facade to "breathe", that is, does not impede air circulation.
The disadvantages include:
- laborious installation of panels;
- the need for constant processing and cleaning as it gets dirty;
- the material does not tolerate chlorine, acid-base solutions and other agents used to clean surfaces;
- service life does not exceed 25 years.
Vinyl siding is widely used in interior decoration and exterior cladding of residential buildings, industrial buildings and retail and office premises. We can safely say that this material is the undisputed sales leader in its segment.
The reasons for this popularity are due solely to the consumer properties of siding:
- low price;
- aesthetic appearance;
- a variety of textures and shades;
- ease of fastening;
- high thermal insulation;
- ease of care and cleaning;
- environmental Safety;
- long term of use - up to 40 years.
Some manufacturers have launched the production of siding from other materials, however, they are less popular among consumers. There are ceramic and fiber cement siding on sale.
Ceramic siding is made from clays with the addition of special binders. The advantages of the material include its fire resistance and harmlessness, as well as a variety of textures that imitate brick and wood. The decrease in demand for models is associated with the appearance on the market of cheaper analogs.
Fiber cement siding is highly durable, durable and practical. However, the slabs have considerable weight, which not every structure can withstand. And the price for fiber cement is much higher than for products made from other materials.
Depending on the placement of the panels, there are also vertical, horizontal and basement siding.
There are no functional differences between horizontal and vertical slabs - they are made from the same material and are characterized by similar physical and chemical properties.
They have differences that have a significant impact on the installation of the structure.
- Various plate configurations. Installation of vertical models in a horizontal direction is possible, however, there is a possibility of water ingress between the facade and the siding.
- Vertical slabs are not equipped with special perforations to allow condensate drainage, while horizontal slabs have such perforations at the bottom of each panel.
That is why the Russian consumer most often prefers horizontal types of siding, although from the point of view of installation, the vertical is more convenient and simpler.
The basement siding is a panel made by casting, visually they imitate natural stone.
The base raw material can be any, however, there are several active components in the composition, which determine the operational parameters of the siding:
- titanium dioxide - protects against burnout under the influence of UV rays;
- modifiers - to increase strength;
- plasticizer - promotes the plasticity of the coating
- high quality resins.
Plinth panels do not require any special treatment before installation - they are easy to maintain and durable.
Choosing a color suitable for facade cladding is a rather difficult task, this is due to the large assortment of panel material presented on the shelves of building hypermarkets. There are 25 main siding colors: white, brown, white, yellow, red, beige, green, golden oak and stained, light blue, black, blue and others.
The most popular are shades of beige and smoky colors, white, light green and lemon tones are slightly behind them. Not uncommon - facades lined with light green panels.
Pastel colors are usually preferred when decorating summer cottages and country houses ; such panels are much cheaper than their colored counterparts. In elite housing construction, materials of rich shades are used that do not fade over time - they are much more durable.
The tint palette is directly related to the material from which the panels are made
For example, the basement material imitates wood and natural stone; it most often has neutral gray and brown tones. If the panel reproduces the texture of natural sandstone, the siding will be amber or bronze. Also available in ivory.
The palette of tones of metal and vinyl siding is much wider - these products are presented in all the variety of colors and shades, from soft pastel to bright and saturated.
Which shade to prefer is a matter of taste and personal wishes of the property owner.
Designers give some general tips that shouldn't be overlooked:
- siding of light shades visually increases the size of the building, so it is optimal for houses with a small area;
- if shrubs grow near houses, also give preference to light shades of white, cream or sand. These shades look great with foliage and flowering branches;
- slabs of dark shades make the structure less noticeable, give a strict look and visually reduce its dimensions;
- do not use dark green or brown colors when there are trees near the house, the building will be lost against their background;
- shades of gray and blue tones, as well as brick-red give the facade a gloomy look, so designers recommend combining them with light elements - cornices, platbands and corners;
- dark shades are optimal for accents;
- color panels will add novelty and freshness to the cladding, such houses attract attention, however, it is not recommended to use more than one bright shade in the facades;
- in buildings with complex architecture, it is worth resorting to panels of a single color, and decorate all kinds of ledges and corners with white - this simple technique will allow you to level the massiveness of the building, make it as airy and elegant as possible;
- houses of a simple, unpretentious form are better to be revetted with multi-colored panels, they will give the structure a spectacular and stylish look, emphasize the good taste of their owners;
- buildings designed in a classic style require pastel shades of a warm or cold color palette; white will also look good;
- country houses or country-style buildings will be harmonious if they are revetted with panels that imitate the color and texture of wood or natural stone;
- but for a building in the Art Nouveau or hi-tech style, saturated shades of light green, purple, red and emerald in combination with white or beige are suitable.
Experts recommend using no more than 2-3 panel colors for facades. The most used combinations are light top + dark bottom, dark top + light bottom and tone-on-tone.
Light colors go well with additions of dark colors , when choosing a similar design, it is worth laying out corners and doors in gray or brown, finishing windows and all kinds of spotlights, and also decorating a terrace, balcony or a garage attached to the building to match.
And vice versa: dark slabs must be combined with light components.
It is important to correctly match the color of the facade to the shade of the roof.
- If the roof is blue , then light models will be optimal for siding, and the choice can be stopped in both warm and cold shades. It will be very stylish if all decorative elements are also decorated in blue tones. Keep in mind that the tonality of blue in different parts of the facade must match;
- The standard brown roofing will be matched with light chocolate, cream and beige panels. Light green facing materials will look bold, but stylish; when buying components, you should dwell on the same brown tones;
- Green roof - here you need to pay attention to the panels in white or light gray, and you can complete this with green additional elements. However, components in the shades of the facade will also look good;
- Cherry roof is one of the most “versatile” shades. It looks great with a wide variety of colors with the exception of blue, green and turquoise. You should also not use a brown tone, the building will look gloomy and sloppy;
- Light roof - this option is not common, but it is found in practice. Bright colors of siding will be good with it: shades of lemon, peach or kiwi will add freshness to the house and fill it with the feeling of spring, sun and warmth.
Tip: In reality, the colors and shades may not coincide with those presented in the catalogs and brochures of the manufacturer, and the combination of shades may turn out to be far from what is expected. To avoid this, it is better to use special programs that will show exactly how the cladding of different shades on the facade will look. This will allow you to quickly and easily select the main color of the material, as well as select harmonious complementary elements. It is worth noting that these programs will only be useful in cases where traditional cladding is expected. If the owner of the building plans to use several shades, then the service is not suitable. In this situation, you should contact a representative of the manufacturing company for help or familiarize yourself with a typical table of color matching parameters.
Tips & Tricks
When buying siding, think about how it will impress your guests. By choosing a new shade, you can change how people feel when they see a building.
White is perceived positively by people, it makes a favorable impression and looks advantageous against the background of flowers and plants. However, the panels quickly get dirty, which can significantly degrade the appearance.
For most people, gray is a symbol of sadness and mild longing. Therefore, even in the most modern and stylish design, it can cause a mood break. But if you decide to decorate the house in graphite shades, make sure that the building stands out from the rest of the yard structures.
Brown tones have always been considered a symbol of modesty. They are optimal for home owners who prefer a simple style without any sophistication and originality.
Yellow is a joyful color that evokes extremely positive emotions. This makes siding of these shades popular and in demand. However, do not forget that the color of the façade must match the tone of the roof.
Another point to look out for when choosing siding is the ability of a dark color to absorb heat. If the home is in direct sunlight, dark tones require protective coatings. Otherwise, thermal deformations cannot be avoided - this will significantly increase the cost of all facade cladding works.
Houses decorated with light siding look very nice.
With the right combination of different shades and panel combinations, dark siding gives a building a stylish and impeccable look.
The vibrant hues bring a fresh twist to the decor and the feeling of spring all year round.
For what color siding is, see the next video.