Even if you live in a small apartment, you probably want all your clothes to be laid out in their places and can be found without much effort. Designers recommend paying attention not to wardrobes, but to small dressing rooms that can accommodate an incredible amount of things.
Features and Benefits
A small dressing room is a great alternative to a closet, since it is comfortable, functional, holds a lot of clothes and shoes, thanks to its compact size it will fit even in an ordinary apartment. Its most important advantage is in spite of the fact that it allegedly “eats up” part of the space, while allowing it to free up a huge amount of space in the apartment.
You can do without cluttering up unnecessary furniture: a wardrobe, shoe cabinets (or a whole rack), a dresser for linen and more. In the dressing room, you can install an ironing board, which is usually difficult to place in an apartment so that it does not interfere.
If you design the space correctly and leave enough space, the dressing room can be used as a fitting room, so the need for mirrors in the room will also disappear.
As you can see, the apartment can really become much more spacious.
It is much easier to find the clothes you need in a small, ergonomic dressing room, if all the furniture is selected correctly, than in any closet. In this she wins even against a large dressing room, in which you can get a little lost.
A small dressing room is an excellent solution for those who love high-quality clothes from famous brands and prefer to wear one thing for at least several seasons. Unlike a wardrobe, here each piece of clothing has a place strictly allotted to it, therefore, a neatly placed dress or coat will retain its presentable appearance for a long time.
- Corner wardrobe. One of the ideal options for a small space. Most often it is a spacious corner cabinet with many compartments. Thanks to this shape, there is enough free space at the entrance, which is suitable for changing clothes and trying on.
- U-shaped. If the space you want to set aside for the dressing room is rectangular, then this is ideal. Thanks to this arrangement of the shelves, it will be convenient for you to move inside the room, and clothes hung on both sides will always be in sight.
- In one line. This is an option for those who have very little space for a dressing room. So you can convert the pantry. It differs from the previous version in that the shelves are located not on two sides, but only on one. Outwardly, it resembles a wardrobe without sliding doors.
- Built-in. The most popular option as it is highly compact. There is no space between the ceiling and the floor, no gaps between the corners. Its only drawback is that when you move it will hardly be able to be dismantled /
First you need to decide on the width of the future dressing room. If you want to use the longitudinal bar, the width must be at least 65 cm - this is the width of the hanger-hanger. If you have a large clothing size, you may need a wider hanger. If there is not very much space, you can make the hangers end-to-end, but the minimum size of the dressing room itself should still be at least 35-40 cm, otherwise you will not be able to place your shoes.
To figure out the minimum wardrobe length, you need to add together the length of all cabinets and other furniture that you plan to place under one wall.
The minimum cubic capacity of the dressing room should be 2 sq. m - 3 sq. m, but if you prefer a U-shaped layout, this option will be cramped for you, but for a corner dressing room it is a great option. Remember that we are talking about a standard room, if you want to equip a wardrobe in an attic with a sloped ceiling, you will need twice as much space.
In general, a comfortable, even a small dressing room, should start from 4 sq. m. Ideally, if you can allocate so much space, then inside it will be possible to place not only clothes, but also find a place for compact furniture and household appliances.
Since standard dressing rooms are focused on large dimensions, there are not very many ideas for arranging small dressing rooms. However, with the proper ingenuity, you can find interesting options.
The easiest and fastest way to arrange a very small room is a mobile hanger that will function as a dressing room. You can knead your shoes under the hanger, and hang handbags on the sides.This is a good option for those with few items.
You can also store clothes in the dressing room seasonally, that is, hang up those that you are currently wearing, and hide those that are not relevant at the moment in a small wardrobe or chest of drawers.
One of the main advantages of such a hanger is its compactness and mobility. If necessary, it can be easily moved around the apartment.
- If the apartment has a niche, you can use it to accommodate a built-in wardrobe. The passage can be closed with curtains or sliding doors.
- If there is very little space, let it be open, but with many shelves, lockable drawers, hangers and shelving. To make everything look harmonious, install an ottoman or a small armchair, hang a mirror.
- When equipping a dressing room in a small bedroom, place it behind the headboard. Several brackets and shelves are suitable for placing clothes that are in constant wear.
Remember that the design of the dressing room must match the design of the room. In order not to overload the space, give preference to stylish minimalism.
You need to start by choosing the right storage system, which are divided into three types - metal frame, mesh and modular wooden.
Aluminum (metal frame) systems are very popular. They represent a frame made of a profile, complete with a set of additional elements and various accessories. They are ready-made - several standard options from well-known manufacturers, and are made to order - according to individual drawings and the wishes of the customer.
In such a wardrobe system, there are no doors, partitions and side walls. But the frame itself can have different filling - shelves, cargo, rods, baskets and much more.
The mesh system must be attached to the wall, more precisely, first a horizontal bar with vertical guides is fixed. Shelves, racks and mesh baskets are already fixed directly on it.
Another popular option is the modular system. Its disadvantage is that it is made of wood or chipboard, so its size needs to be thought out in advance, since it will no longer be possible to change it. But it is durable, reliable, has a classic appearance and contains many things.
You can buy a ready-made modular system or make it to order.
Ventilation and light
Correctly selected light in the dressing room is very important, therefore, the choice of lighting fixtures must be approached responsibly. Since there is already little space, it is worth abandoning hinged shades, which take up a lot of space and do not provide enough lighting. Give preference to spotlights that can be integrated into cabinets - they will create excellent illumination.
Another good solution is the floor lamps located along the furniture line.
Good ventilation is also important - it will avoid the formation of moisture, mold and the appearance of insects that like warm and humid places. It is good if you equip a separate ventilation system, however, this is quite an expensive pleasure that not everyone can afford. A budget option is an exhaust fan (such devices are often installed in bathrooms).
The most optimal solution is to install an air-conditioned system with an antibacterial filter. They will purify the air and remove any unpleasant odors, so your clothes will always smell nice and fresh.
Doors are an important element of a small dressing room, they do not take up much space. It is better to give preference to folding folding doors, which are the most compact. Another option is compartment doors that look very aesthetically pleasing. Their only drawback is that they are extremely difficult to install.
Both options are quite expensive if your budget is limited; instead of a door, you can use roller blinds, roller shutters or just a decorative partition.
One of the advantages of a dressing room over a wardrobe is that the interior space is fully utilized, from ceiling to floor. The brackets are placed at a height of about one and a half meters so that the clothes do not drag on the floor, but they can be easily reached. Racks for storing shoes are usually placed under them. It can also be a low wide chest of drawers with a lot of drawers. They will be able to store not only shoes, but also clothes that do not correspond to the current season.
Above there will be shelves on which you can keep blankets, blankets, bedding, suitcases and other bulky things that are not often in use.
In a small dressing room, where there is no extra space to hang all the clothes on the hangers, you can install a multi-level rack. It will allow you to place a maximum of things when folded, and the interior will look stylish and neat.
When planning an interior arrangement, do not forget about the lockers in which you can store gloves, hats, scarves, socks, underwear, and more. When equipping a small dressing room, it is better to give preference not to drawers, but to roll-out drawers. Their advantage is that the things that are stored in them are always visible, so finding one or another is not difficult.
Of course, it is better to install several closed boxes for laundry. To save space, it must be laid out vertically, twisted into small tubes. At the same time, use a special organizer divider that will keep all the laundry in order.
Hooks are also indispensable when arranging a small dressing room, since they take up a minimum of space, because they are simply attached to the wall, and you can hang anything on them - from pajamas to bags or outerwear. If you have a lot of classic trousers with arrows in your wardrobe, they need special storage. Install a special crossbar for them, where they will keep their shape well.
It is advisable to purchase identical shoe boxes that match the color of the dressing room in color.
In order not to open each box in search of the right pair, they can be beautifully signed.
You can store various trifles - sunglasses, hair accessories and jewelry - in special pocket-covers, or place them on a special rack with many hooks and closing glass doors.
Where to place?
Unfortunately, in an ordinary apartment there are not many options where you can place a dressing room.
In the pantry
A pantry is the fastest and most affordable way to create a dressing room in a Khrushchev. But before you start redeveloping, it is important to make sure that it is roomy enough. Its minimum size should be 1x1.5 meters. Even in such a limited space, you can equip enough boxes, shelves and hangers.
Give preference to linear arrangement of furniture. Such a dressing room will resemble a wardrobe, and you can choose the required number of shelves, drawers, hooks and more.
Another good option is the L-shaped storage system, which works well for narrow and long pantries. Thanks to the convenient layout, you can also store an ironing board and a vacuum cleaner inside, and the clothes you need will be located against the far wall. The U-shaped layout is the most spacious, since the walls will be minimally involved. However, it is only suitable for large storage areas where there is ample space.
In the hall
The dressing room in the hallway is very convenient, since everything you need will always be at hand before leaving the house. At the same time, perfect order will always reign in the hall. Separately, you can set aside a place for households. inventory (mops, buckets, detergents and others). You can also place meters and alarm control panel behind the doors to hide them from prying eyes.
Most often, small dressing rooms are made in a corresponding hallway, since in the large one there is where to roam. Therefore, a built-in wardrobe is usually chosen for the role of a dressing room, which does an excellent job with this task. Another good solution is to separate the free space in the corner and fence it off with partitions. This will create a triangular or square wardrobe. In this case, the partitions can be sliding, as in a wardrobe, or deaf - from ceiling to floor, and the entrance opening will be located in the place you choose.
How to do it yourself?
As you already understood, it is not necessary to build a dressing room from scratch, you can remake it from a cluttered pantry, loggia or balcony. When equipping it, discard cabinet furniture that takes up a lot of space. Give preference to special modular designs, which do not have extra walls, but there are convenient mobile pedestals. You can position the bar in the center, and on the sides of it there are shelves, which can be partially equipped with drawers and wicker baskets.
Do not forget to leave some space at the entrance so you can move freely around the dressing room. Attach a large mirror to the door so that it does not take up precious space.
Plasterboard (chipboard or MDF board)
With certain skills, it is not difficult to mount a drywall structure:
- Cut the profile into elements of the required size using special scissors. First you need to make measurements and draw up a plan for the future design.
- For work you need a screwdriver and self-tapping screws. Install the floor profile, then install the wall and ceiling structures. Do everything as carefully as possible, otherwise you can ruin the wall covering.
- When the profile frame is ready, you need to make a two-layer plasterboard sheathing, between the sheets of which you should put insulation. Also, electrical wiring can be placed in this space.
- Prime the finished walls, then proceed to refine them. The easiest and fastest way to decorate is wallpapering, you can use decorative wood-like panels, which look more impressive and status.
Experts advise to simply paint the walls, however, for this you need to carry out a thorough putty and sanding so that they are perfectly smooth.
- It is best to put tiles on the floor, if desired, you can use linoleum, carpet or parquet. The surface should be such that it is pleasant for you to stand on it with bare feet. At the same time, it will require constant cleaning, and the carpet, in this case, is not the best solution.
It is desirable that the decoration of the walls and floor coincides with the design of the room in which it is located.
- At the end, it remains to install sliding doors and equip the dressing room inside.
A great example of a mini dressing room that takes up little space. The frame and shelves for it need to be matched to the color of the walls so that they do not stand out against their background.
- First, a frame is made from profiles that are attached to the wall. The shelves themselves can be made of wood or dark laminate.
- It is better to make the shelves for shoes mesh so that street dirt does not accumulate on them. They are attached to metal braces.
- The hanger bars are also attached to the metal braces. It should be noted here that they are quite expensive, but if you are planning a budget construction, there is an opportunity to save money. Just use pieces of a bar that are at least 0.6 cm in diameter.
- If they have an unpresentable appearance, decorate them with special tubes designed for electrical insulation. Their diameter should be larger than the bar. To shrink the tube, it is heated with a construction hair dryer.
- For the shelves, you can use regular, inexpensive laminate that can be lengthened by joining several planks together.
Video instruction on creating a mini-dressing room in the next video.
The inner content of almost all dressing rooms will be the same. The lower area is used for storing shoes and umbrellas. You can also install brackets on which to hang your pants. The middle zone is set aside for rods and boxes, where all clothes are stored - shirts, dresses, jackets. Underwear is placed in special boxes with dividers. The upper area is reserved for hats, bags and suitcases.
Arranging a dressing room is an interesting and exciting process, especially if you have a lot of clothes. You can make your wildest ideas come true by building your dream wardrobe!9 pictures