A beautiful and functional shed, built near a private house, will protect the surrounding area from the scorching sun, heavy rain and snow. In addition to their direct function, such buildings have a decorative component.
Even an inexperienced craftsman, having the necessary tools and materials, can erect a simple and reliable shed near the house in just a couple of days. Such structures are very functional, while they do not clutter up the adjacent territory. Shelter structures in the courtyard of private estates usually have a simple structure, consisting of a frame, several supports and a covering.
When choosing a location suitable for installing a canopy in the yard, it is important to calculate and find out the total structure area, configuration and height.
The roofing of products can vary in configuration, therefore, these structures are conventionally divided into certain groups. They are of the following types.
- Single slope. This is the simplest and most convenient option for self-production. In the process of work, the master must choose the most convenient material for the roof, be able to calculate the angle of inclination. To increase security, it is advisable to place such models directly near the house, otherwise the structure will not be sufficiently protected in strong winds.
- Gable. These models have several advantages. The presence of a gable roof will evenly distribute the load in the form of snow, protect against slanting rain. This option is more complicated in the arrangement, as it requires an accurate calculation of the angle of inclination.
- Arched. Such models have aesthetic and performance properties. The most convenient option for an arched roof is polycarbonate.
The choice usually depends on the preferences of the owner of the estate, the availability of the necessary materials and tools, as well as the experience of the master.
Sheds are usually located in areas with high traffic. They can be positioned over stairs or steps, adapted for grapes or taken out into the backyard.
The use of such structures is diverse. They are used over the parking lot, to cover the play areas, pool or shower, and also as a safe cover over the porch.
- Canopies in the form of a visor are used to shelter the surrounding area from bad weather conditions. This is a great option for protecting steps and thresholds from freezing in winter, which will help prevent falls and injuries.
- The extension model allows you to place comfortable wicker furniture, a barbecue grill, a swing under it. It is customary to make such shelters in the same style as the house, using similar materials and colors. Usually, the structure of such a canopy is quite dimensional, so one side of it is attached to the wall of the building, and the other is placed on supports. But there are also stationary canopies that have supports on each side, or mixed models. Such structures have many advantages. You can walk under the canopy at any time of the year without fear of rain or heavy snowfall.
- Gazebo awnings are the most popular options for homeowners. Such gazebos can be of various shapes and types. Most often, you can see round and square models, there are also models in the form of a polyhedron. Structures can be open or semi-closed. Open gazebos usually have a support and roof, while semi-enclosed models have side walls. The best place to place such structures is in picturesque green areas or hills.
- Models placed over playgrounds are also very popular. If there are small children in the house, they will be able to play outside on swings, in sandboxes, on horizontal bars and slides in any weather. At the same time, the structure itself will additionally protect the playground from the negative effects of temperatures and humidity, which will extend the service life of such products.
- A canopy placed above the pool will make it possible to use it, regardless of the weather. Such structures can be stationary or collapsible.
- Another type of such structures are awnings , which are awnings made of dense fabric on a retractable structure. Typically used for balconies, windows, terraces and gazebos as protection from the scorching sun. Their advantage is the ability to adjust the amount of opening.
If you have a car, a canopy in the yard will protect it from bad weather conditions and the scorching sun. This option is very convenient in cases of arrival of guests or in the absence of a garage in the house.
What is the best to make?
Canopies can be divided into separate types depending on the choice of material. For the construction of awnings, use:
- corrugated board and metal;
- fabrics and other materials at hand.
The choice of material depends on the availability of this or that material, as well as on the ability to work with it.
A correctly selected design of the structure will allow it to fit in the best way into the overall architectural composition of the estate. Modern materials allow you to build different types of awnings in different styles, for example, hi-tech or rustic.
In addition to common materials, straw and clay products can be used in the design. As a decoration of structures, they use grapevine, weaving plants, bushes. Deciduous or coniferous trees and ornamental shrubs planted along the perimeter of the gazebo will help create a cozy look.
Carving, forging, decorative grilles are used to decorate the frame and roof. Their choice will make it possible to decorate the structure, visually make it lighter and more delicate, while clearly marking its boundaries.
The presence of curtains will make the gazebo comfortable and cozy. For these purposes, a patterned fabric with water-repellent properties, tulle or a multi-colored awning is ideal. Additional elements make the design organic, linking the structure itself with the surrounding natural landscape. For these purposes, they use LED lighting, decorative lamps and lanterns, flower beds.
When starting work on erecting a canopy with your own hands, you should decide on its functional load. This can be a place for a pleasant pastime or cooking on the grill, a shelter for a playground or pool, a parking lot. It is also important to think about what this structure will be - it can be a free-standing canopy, a mobile version or an extension to the house.
It is imperative to find out what the height of the building will be, because the arrangement of the structure directly depends on this.
In addition, you should choose the right material for the future structure, find out how to sheathe and cover it. When calculating the required amount of material, it is advisable to make a stock because of the likelihood of unforeseen situations.
Lighting plays an important role. All these nuances must be taken into account in order to carry out the work correctly. Having found out all the points of interest, they begin to draw up a drawing.
In addition, the master must:
- prepare the necessary tools;
- level the surface and prepare the soil;
- install and concreted the supports of the structure and install longitudinal beams between them;
- make flooring;
- mount the base and fix it to the roof.
Using the necessary materials and carrying out the work in a certain order, the owner of a private house will be able to quickly build an original and convenient building on his site.
Getting started on the construction of a canopy in the yard, it is necessary to carry out preparatory work, which consists in clearing the selected area for the structure and marking the dimensions. For these purposes, pegs with a cord are suitable.
Earthworks are carried out by arranging a pit of a selected size and shape for the foundation. For the structure to serve longer, it is necessary to lay a solid foundation. To do this, it is enough to cover the layer with sand and crushed stone 10-15 cm high. Reinforcement is laid on top, supports are installed, the pit is poured with concrete.
The choice of traditional materials for the roof will provide reliable protection from precipitation, will contribute to the long service life of this coating.
It is better to use the following materials for the roof.
- Polycarbonate. It is considered the most reliable and convenient to use.
- Slate. The use of sheet slate will reduce material costs, since this option is considered more economical. Its disadvantage is that the slate is quite heavy, and it is difficult to work alone with it.
- Decking. This material is considered similar to the previous version, but has a lower weight, while the corrugated board is easy to install.
- Bituminous roofing. This flooring is lightweight and is laid on a solid base. The disadvantages include the fact that the seams need heat treatment, which is carried out directly on the roof.
- Metal tiles. A durable and durable material is often used for covering terraces and gazebos. It is not difficult to work with metal tiles, as they cut well, but at the same time they do not bend.
Also used for such structures:
- flexible shingles;
- acrylic, polyester or PVC cloth;
- impact resistant glass;
The main element of such structures is the frame. The service life of the structure directly depends on its reliability. Most often, frames are made of metal, since they are durable, resistant to moisture, and easy to install. After the installation of the supporting columns, they are fixed. Using a level and a plumb line, check the correct position.
Wood frames are also quite common. The advantage lies in the availability of the material, ease of assembly and the presence of a beautiful structure of the material itself. Models made of wood are slightly inferior to metal frames in terms of durability and strength due to damage and decay of wood. The use of special impregnations and antiseptics allows you to extend the life of wooden products.
Quite often you can see combined options for frame systems, in which the supports are made of metal, and other elements are made of wood.
Frames made of stone or brick are also popular. But such elements are quite heavy and require considerable material investments. Their advantage is that they can withstand significant loads, do not rot or rust.
As final work, possible shortcomings are cleaned up, and electricity is installed, if required by the circuit. The light under the canopy will carry not only a lighting function, but also a decorative one. Beautiful lamps and sconces, original lamps will instantly transform the space.
The final step is to check the reliability of the structure itself. When choosing profile pipes for construction, it is better to prime and paint them. Wooden structures are treated with wax and antiseptics. The final protective oil layer will provide the wood coatings with moisture resistance and strength.
Additional decorative elements play an important role in the design of the structure. For decoration, you can use artificial or live plants, planted in tubs, planting pockets or flower beds. It is advisable to attach a trellis to the wall adjacent to the house and pull a wire for climbing perennials.
When installing a canopy, it is advisable to choose the color of the material that will be in harmony with the existing structures. In the presence of forged objects in the design, it is better to support this composition and include forged elements in the frame of the structure.
There are many beautiful examples showing how to decorate a structure.
- Forged models will perfectly match the stone or brick wall of the house.
- Carved wood gratings are suitable for eco-style awnings.
- LED lights installed around the perimeter or in the center of the building will help to give airiness.
- Weaving plants and flowerpots will decorate the structure and give it a touch of elegance.
- Original flower arrangements and clay products will help to give a cozy look to the gazebo.
- Installing a barbecue or shashlik maker under a canopy will allow you to cook delicious dishes there. In such a gazebo it is pleasant to spend an evening with friends, play with children. It is worth setting up a barbecue and barbecue under a canopy. If space permits, a decorative waterfall or fountain can be installed here.
- A convenient carport can be a worthy alternative to a garage.
For information on how to make a forged canopy in the courtyard of a private house, see the next video.