Nowadays, practical, original, exclusive things made by hand are of greater interest than expensive household items of mass industrial production. Decorating your home provides tremendous opportunities for realizing the most unusual fantasies, but quite often there are not enough financial resources for this. Unconventional use of wallpaper as curtains will help solve the problem of decorating windows.
Wallpaper can be the basis for creating curtains from circles, as well as Roman, roller blinds or blinds.
- Curtains made of circles are more decorative than functional. They give the room a festive and airy look. They are good for an oriental interior style, for use in children's areas.
- Roman shades are ideal for antique, classic, country and modern styles.
- Roller blinds are more strict, they suit absolutely any style.
Do it yourself
To make paper curtains for windows, you will need paraffin, cardboard, glue, a hole punch or scissors, thread, twine, a small saucepan (bowl) and a paint brush.
- Cut out the cardboard and measure out pieces of wallpaper of the same size. With a brush, apply heated paraffin wax to the cardboard sheets, and while it is not frozen, glue the wallpaper to the cardboard. For a more even and reliable fastening, the workpiece should be ironed with an iron. It is advisable to do this through the fabric. Then we do the same on the back of the cardboard: apply paraffin, glue the wallpaper, smooth it out.
- Cut out circles of arbitrary sizes from the prepared material (from 2 cm in diameter). This can be done with scissors or a hole punch designed for large holes. The resulting circles are strung on curtain threads of the desired length. We distribute the mugs evenly along the entire length and fix them with glue. We attach threads with circles to the common base-cornice.
- Colored paper can also be used in combination with wallpaper. Contrasting or, conversely, matching in tone.
Thick vinyl wallpaper is best for this.
- In addition to wallpaper, you will need scissors, a ruler, glue, tape, decorative cord, awl, buttons or decorative stoppers.
- We measure the window, add another quarter of the length to the desired length of the future curtains (it will hide in the folds).
- The sheets of wallpaper should be folded into an accordion (at least 3-4 cm), using pencil markings and making bends with a ruler. Ugly folds will ruin the appearance of the product.
- It is recommended to glue the first folds to give strength.
- In the folds in the center of the panel, we make neat equidistant holes through which the cord will pass. So that they do not lose their shape, we strengthen them with scotch tape.
- We draw a decorative cord through the holes, tying it with a knot at the top, the bottom limiter can be an ordinary button or some kind of decorative thing. The lace is brought out to the outside and locked so that it can easily adjust the height.
- Such curtains are fixed to the frame with double-sided tape.
- The lower part of the cloth is bent in half, and one part is fastened oppositely to the other, like a fluffed peacock's tail.
- we take wooden blocks with a section of 3x3 cm and a length equal to the dimensions of the window, fasten them with corners and self-tapping screws;
- we cut out even ribbons from paper or vinyl wallpaper, adding 4 cm to the length of the frame;
- in the upper part of the panel we tighten the self-tapping screws, leaving them under-tightened by 5-10 mm;
- we fix the cornice on the ceiling, make holes in it corresponding to the size of the caps of the screws;
- by fixing the screws in the holes, slightly move the panel to the side.
The advantage of the roller blind is that it fits snugly against the window, providing maximum shading of the room.
In the manufacture of such curtains, the wallpaper does not fold into an accordion, they are simply rolled up into a tight roll. No need to make holes for fixing cords.
- Manufacturing begins with determining the size of the window. At the same time, the desired length is multiplied by 2 and another ¼ of the length is added to it for future pockets: the wallpaper will fold in half and acquire density and a two-sided attractive appearance.
- The wallpaper folded in half is glued with glue or double-sided tape. At the ends, the wallpaper is folded in the form of pockets. It is better to use a stapler for this.
- We put weighting materials in the resulting pockets - thin wooden or plastic strips. The tape is attached to the hidden side of the top pocket and runs down on both sides.
- We fix the resulting blinds in the upper part of the frame, if necessary, open the window, turn the curtain up with a roll and grab it on both sides with a tape going down.
If you want to make your home unique, these curtains are the most affordable option for transforming your home. Very little time will be spent on their manufacture. You can involve children in such creative work and create unique and exclusive products together with them.
It should be borne in mind that folds of paper wallpaper are preserved even when the curtains are lowered: any pattern seems to be refracted. Therefore, you should not use wallpaper with images of people, animals, fabulous creatures. For this, geometric patterns, marine themes, floral prints are better suited.
Wallpaper curtains are original window decorations, they can be used not only in living quarters, but also on glazed loggias and balconies. Due to high humidity and fumes, paper curtains are undesirable for use in the kitchen. The cheapness of the product allows you to change such curtains without any problems, depending on the changing interior of the home, the season or even the mood. Solar shades will add brightness to the sensations, and discreet tones will soothe.
Such a cheap and at the same time original window decoration is easy to change, allows you to show inspiration and realize in practice the most unexpected fantasies.
Detailed instructions for creating blinds from wallpaper are in the video below.