What if you have too many books, various home accessories, travel souvenirs, but no place for them? After all, the scale of an apartment or house does not always allow you to purchase large furniture, where it would be possible to place all household items. The way out of this situation is quite simple - plasterboard shelves. They are easy to make with your own hands. You can create products of any shape and size, depending on how many accessories you need to place on them.
Features and advantages of the material
Drywall is an excellent material for assembling shelves, although many believe that it is not at all durable. GKL can be used in rooms with high levels of humidity and flammability. Drywall is perfect for children's rooms, it is one of the safest materials.
Shelves are a great alternative to oversized furniture, such as a wardrobe or shelving. In addition, they are roomy enough, you can put books, vases, dishes and even electronics on them. These shelves have many advantages:
- GKL has a very attractive price, which cannot be said, for example, about plywood sheets or wood.
- No special qualifications or special tools are required to work with this material. It is easy to cut and drill. Any paint perfectly fits on it.
- GKL shelves are harmless to human health and pets.
- This material is quite lightweight and easy to process.
- Drywall is a designer's dream. This material allows you to bring to life the most extraordinary ideas. It can be used to build not only shelves, but also arches, various figures to decorate the ceiling and walls.
- These shelves are especially well suited for books and perfectly support their weight without deforming under stress.
- Luminaires can be built into plasterboard structures. This is a practical and beautiful solution that will visually make the room brighter and more spacious.
- In a drywall kitchen, you can build a bar counter with shelves built into it, on which you can place all the dishes and other kitchen utensils.
- Do-it-yourself drywall shelves will help you save on the purchase of large-sized furniture.
- Open-type gypsum plasterboard structures are an excellent solution for small-sized premises. They will not take up much space, but they will allow you to functionally place all things.
- Plasterboard shelves can be installed in a house or apartment, and even in utility rooms.
- They are versatile and comfortable. You can put almost any things there to facilitate access to them.
Different tasks - different designs
Drywall is not in vain considered one of the most versatile materials. It can be used in renovation work not only to create partitions and ceilings, but also to create an exclusive interior. Shelves for various purposes can be made of drywall. Thus, they will help to conveniently place any interior items.
Under the TV
There are many options for placing a TV in a room. You can buy a special bedside table for TV, hang it on the wall on brackets, or make a drywall shelf for it. The last option is called a niche. With its help you can hide wires and sockets. The screen placed in this way will perfectly fit into the surrounding space and decorate the interior.
You can build a drywall niche with little or no cost, without any special skills . Around the niche with the TV, you can make additional shelves to place a stereo system, various decorative accessories and books, photographs, paintings on them, decorating a hall or another room.
Plasterboard shelves for books are under the greatest stress. If you are worried about their strength, you can create a reinforced frame from a metal profile. In the future, you can also add spacers and buttresses for maximum reliability.
Bookshelves come in a variety of designs, shapes and sizes. If they will be in the library where you spend time reading, you can build in the backlight in them.
Under the sink
Plasterboard shelves under the sink for the bathroom and kitchen are popular nowadays. As a rule, in many apartments the bathrooms are rather small, but loaded with plumbing. Often, kitchens also have a small area, but they have a lot of furniture and equipment, there is also a sink. One of the most successful ways to take up space in these rooms is to make a shelf under the sink.
You can use the free space under the sink wisely. If the sink is in the corner, then you can supplement it with plasterboard corner shelves. They will take up little space, such shelves are always practical.
Interesting design solutions
If you want to make your room brighter and more comfortable, you can make a backlit drywall shelf. However, it is not customary to install it near the window. With this backlight, you can make even the darkest corner of the room brighter. It can also be installed in a small bedroom and children's room.
Backlighting can perform a variety of tasks , for example, illuminate significant objects placed on shelves, mirrors. It can also replace a night light and become an integral part of an interesting interior. As a backlight, you can use an LED cord or a tape with a transformer.
They are presented in a huge number of colors and have different saturations. There are even convenient remote control options.
With plasterboard shelves, you can easily diversify the design of your living room. Wall shelves and niches look especially modern and harmonious in such rooms. The niche can be decorated with special chrome pipes, which are pre-coated with paint. This design will be able to fit into any design and will definitely emphasize all its advantages. In addition, it can be pasted over with natural or artificial stone, decorated with plaster or unusual glass, which will attract attention in the interior.
Such solutions in the interior:
- depending on their shape and size, they can visually expand or lengthen the space;
- will help make the room truly unique and inimitable;
- perfectly replace larger pieces of furniture, for example, wardrobes or massive cabinets.
It is customary to place original vases, electronics, decorative flowers and other elements on such shelves that will help complement the interior.
In the hallway and corridor, a rack with drywall shelves will look aesthetically pleasing. It can be made functional and still save a lot of space. The rack can be located opposite or near the front door. Decorative elements are placed there, because when they come to you, guests enter the hallway. The first impression of what you see, as a rule, forms an idea of the interior of the apartment as a whole.
Having built a plasterboard wall, you can decorate it with a decorative stone , build in lighting, and add various small shelves. The size of the wall must be selected based on the height of the ceiling and the width of the corridor, then the structure will look harmonious. It can become a unique art object, especially if it is painted with paints or decorated with fabric.
Plasterboard shelves for the kitchen can be used not only as a functional element for storing dishes and other kitchen utensils, but also become an excellent decorative addition to your design. Plasterboard shelves are combined with other materials such as wood or glass. The surface of these shelves can be covered with wallpaper.
You can also lay tiles or small decorative tiles on the surface of the shelves. These shelves will look good in a bathroom or toilet. But before applying these materials to drywall, it must be carefully primed, taking into account the level of humidity in these rooms. Otherwise, the tile may not fix properly.
Creation of drawings
Before making drywall shelves with your own hands, you need to consider the step-by-step instructions. It is better to make the drawings of the future design yourself, so that it is easier to implement them when creating shelves. It is recommended to take into account all the nuances at the stage of creating a draft version so that you do not face any unpleasant moments during the final installation.
To make sure that you have chosen the right place for the shelf, the drawing can be transferred to whatman paper and attached to the place of further attachment. This is important when the shelf will be located next to the doors. So you can assure yourself that the structure will not interfere with the passage.
A well-done drawing will help you understand whether you have chosen the right place for placement, calculate how much material you need, and also avoid inconsistencies during the installation process. Thanks to the blueprints, you can build the perfect shelf.
There are several rules for making a good drawing.
- You should immediately choose the design of the shelf or niche. You need to think about whether there will be partitions inside the structure, calculate the number of all the necessary elements, decide what shape it will be: angular or semicircular.
- It is better to make a small sketch of the finished shelf. Thanks to the sketch, it will be much easier to determine the size and location of the future shelf.
- It is also important to choose in advance a place in the room for the future design, for this you need to take into account the interior of the room.
- On the drawing it is necessary to project the dimensions of the room to scale.
- All shelf dimensions must be specified: depth, width and height.
- If you want to make a backlit shelf, then you need to mark on the drawing in the places where it will be located.
- When creating a drawing, you need to take into account the thickness of the gypsum board and the metal frame.
Beautiful examples in the interior
If you have a rather small kitchen, then plasterboard niches will be an excellent design for it, which will help save space in the room and create an interesting design.
Plasterboard shelves are also great for a kitchen or dining room. They will replace massive hanging cabinets, you can place dishes on them or decorate them with decorative accessories.
An interesting and original option is the creation of shelves from gypsum plasterboard in the wall that separates the kitchen and dining room. There they look harmonious and therefore will be appropriate.
You can also fill the corner with shelves. This option looks especially good if there will be a corner sofa and a table. The shelf above them can be decorated with a lamp.
Low shelves are suitable for a children's room. So the child can easily reach any shelf. There you can place textbooks, school supplies. Shelves in nurseries are decorated with LED strip and soft toys. It is desirable to make a box for the tape, it will greatly simplify the installation and will not let it overheat.
Recently, it has been fashionable to combine columns and shelves from gypsum plasterboard. This design can serve as a kind of zoning, for example, to separate the living room and dining room. On such shelves, you can place various items for the home or interesting decorative items for decoration.
In the living room, instead of a large TV stand, you can make a niche, which will noticeably increase the space in the room. For a niche made of such a material, unlike a wooden one, no special care is required. In addition, it looks compact.
Plasterboard shelves and niches look interesting in the bathroom. They allow you to save the maximum amount of free space while it is limited in such premises. They can be placed both above the bathroom and above the sink, and even under these plumbing elements.
Plasterboard shelves in the bathroom can be decorated with bright mosaic tiles or adhesive tape. There you can place towels, hygiene items and scented candles. This design looks beautiful and elegant.
It is now popular to use shelves in the bedroom instead of bedside tables. Such drywall shelves can be placed both above the bed and on the side of it. You can decorate them in different ways, focusing on the overall design of the room. Family photos, portraits, souvenirs, decorative vases and flowers will be appropriate here.
Niches and shelves in the hallway and corridor look beautiful and stylish. For example, if you integrate a backlight into a niche, this will help greatly increase the space. Due to the illumination, you can significantly expand a narrow corridor or a small hallway. In this case, the shelves are not too deep.
Thanks to the use of such a solution, you can revive the interior of any hall and hallway. A plasterboard niche is thus able not only to help emphasize the decor of the room, but also to hide various defects in the corridor or hallway, for example, uneven walls. You can beautifully decorate plasterboard niches using simple paints to match the general color of the corridor or decorate them with decorative putty, artificial stone, decorative glass, artificial brick.
An interesting effect can be produced by spot lighting in niches. It will fill the room with additional light and expand it.
For information on how to make a drywall shelf, see the next video.