Today, rarely any interior, like the landscape, does without expressive and spectacular accessories. One of them can rightfully be called a floor vase. In order for it to look stylish and harmonious in the designated place, it is not at all necessary to buy a finished product. It is quite possible to do it yourself, which will be discussed in this article.
Choice of size and shape
Floor vases can be of different sizes: high, medium height and width, large and moderate size. The parameters of a floor vase depend on a number of factors. One of the key is the design of the surrounding space. For example, the dimensions may depend on the footage of a particular room, because the smaller it is, the smaller the vase itself should be. If this fact is not taken into account, the accessory can look too bulky in the interior, thereby upsetting the visual balance.
The height of the product can vary in the range from 40 to 90 cm. It is selected taking into account the height of the walls and the spaciousness of the room, since an accessory too high can visually make the height of the walls smaller, which is unacceptable. The width is selected based on their own preferences, as well as the form available for the manufacture. In addition, it may also depend on the chosen style, which should match the interior design.
The shape of a floor vase can be conventionally round, square, triangular. Each type has its own nuances, for example, a rounded shape is considered the most harmonious for pouring into different stylistic directions of design. It can be made using bottles or even three- and five-liter glass jars. The papier-mâché technique is also suitable for this.
The square floor vase is good for modern interior designs. The basic form for its manufacture can be an ordinary cardboard box. Variants of a triangular shape are somewhat more difficult to do, since it is less common to choose such shapes. Products of this type are often made from improvised raw materials or various constituent elements (for example, newspaper tubes).
You can make a do-it-yourself floor vase from junk material, improvised tools and even ordinary dishes. Craftsmen make such accessories not only from three-liter cans and papier-mâché, but also from plumbing pipes, plaster, twine, linoleum. To make it stand out against the background of the interior, and also harmoniously fit into it, it is better for a beginner to choose to create a variant of a symmetrical rounded type. It is important to consider: the product looks better against the general background if its shade does not match the color of the flooring, furniture and wall cladding.
From a three-liter can
Such work is notable for the fact that without drawing skills, it allows you to get a product with an imitation of artistic painting. In addition to a can, to make a vase, you will need decoupage napkins, acrylic paints, brushes, twine and special glue, as well as the necessary decorating accessories (selected at will). The method of making such a floor vase consists of several successive steps:
- the surface of the can is degreased and covered with white acrylic paint;
- after it dries, twine (or tape) is wound around the neck;
- prepare decorative elements (cut from napkins);
- they are glued, spreading with a brush, creating a pattern, ornament or other composition;
- after they dry, a transparent acrylic varnish is applied on top.
The decor looks beautiful in gold and bronze, and for such a creation of a vase, it is enough to use a contour gel, drawing a simple drawing for them. If you cover such a product with dark paint on top and spray gilding in places with a sponge, such a vase will look expensive.
Out of the box with a beautiful shape
Such vases look quite unusual in the interior, they are very effects, but they are suitable mainly for modern style, as well as landscape compositions. To make it, you need a box (mold), gypsum (cement), a container for forming the inner space and a cling film to make it easier to remove the vase from the base:
- gypsum is mixed with water until smooth, achieving the consistency of thick sour cream;
- it is poured into the box in a small layer;
- put a smaller container inside, setting it in the center;
- add the mixture to the desired level;
- when the composition is completely dry, the vase is removed from the mold;
- processed with fine sandpaper and decorated.
If you want to give a pattern to such a product, you can do this with spray paint and lace braid. The braid is tightly attached to the base, paint is sprayed over it. If you want more chic, you can add a little silver or gold by applying it with a sponge.
From a plumbing pipe
For such a product, not only the usual improvised materials are sometimes used, but even nylon stockings and knitted fabrics. The design of the future vase depends on the type of product itself, its material and shape. Options with kinks are more suitable for decorating the landscape and summer cottages. Products with a straight cylindrical shape are relevant for city apartments.
The best material for the job is plastic and metal plumbing pipes. They can be pasted over with various decor (including even cereals), or you can give them a relief pattern. For example, you can make a plastic trio of pipes of different heights by cutting off their top at an angle. The bottom of such vases is made of cardboard, although, if desired and the appropriate skills, you can weld it to the metal.
A nylon stocking can be put on each pipe, forming folds. The surface is impregnated with glue on top and wait until it is completely dry. After the base is created, they start decorating the vases, covering each of them with special paint in cans.
The color is chosen based on the peculiarities of the color solutions of a particular room in which the accessory will stand. It only remains to add a little gilding or even glitter - and the unique decor is ready.
From a paper tube from linoleum
This product can be used for dry branches. It is simple to create it: you need the pipe itself (you can buy it at a hardware store), twine or rope thread, some cardboard, a thermal gun with glue and a saw to cut the pipe. The manufacturing technique is as follows:
- the required amount is cut from the pipe, having previously determined the height of the vase;
- take thick cardboard and, putting a pipe on it, circle it, and then cut out the bottom;
- having glued the bottom to the future vase, they decorate it using a rope thread or twine;
- a thread is wrapped around the vase from bottom to top, gluing to the base with hot glue (other adhesives can also be used);
- tightly wrapping the product to the very top, cut the thread;
- for stability, put a little paper or small stones inside.
Made of thick cardboard and cardboard tube
To create a Greek vase, you will need old newspapers, a cardboard tube, and some large boxes that you can get from the store. You will have to cut out the base of the vase from them, so it is advisable to take boxes of approximately the same size (it makes no sense to glue them). This option for making a floor vase is more laborious, but the look of the finished product will delight not only the owners of the house: such a product will be a rather bright and memorable interior accent. Such a masterpiece is created using the following technology:
- correlate the height of the pipe, the desired height and the size of the existing boxes (everything should be the same);
- cut out a vase template, circle the workpieces around it, cut out and fold in half;
- when there are enough of them, they are pasted over a cardboard tube (it will look like an accordion);
- after they tear the newspapers into pieces, soak them with PVA glue and create the base of the vase, pasting it from top to bottom in several layers, trying to make the shape even;
- after the newspaper, you can stick several layers of toilet paper;
- when it dries, the surface is covered with dark paint;
- an ornament is drawn with contour gel or special contour paint;
- you can cover the vase with another thin layer of paint on top, and then mark the embossed pattern with bronze or gold paint.
To make a vase look expensive, you need to make it as carefully as possible, paying attention to the neck and bottom. When covering, it is important to paint them as well, the lines of the drawing should be even, and with the ornament - identical.
Decorating the finished product
Decorating a finished accessory will require knowledge of basic stylistic skills, without which it is difficult to make it appropriate in a particular interior. Today, fashion trends are aimed at combining laconicism and functionality. The decor should be minimal, it is important that, despite the apparent simplicity, the product looks status, effective and professional, as if it were purchased in an expensive store. Therefore, you need to be especially careful about decorating.
Depending on the type of material used and the technique for making a floor vase for its decoration, you can use:
- mosaics, including homemade ones from multi-colored tiles and mirrors;
- flat buttons of different sizes and shapes;
- coarse salt;
- cereals, sunflower and pumpkin seeds;
- dry branches of different lengths and curvatures;
- branch cuts;
- bark of trees;
- newspaper tubes;
- stationery rubber bands;
- bracelets made of beads on a rubber thread;
- decorative fabric;
- kraft paper;
- textiles with embossed texture;
- rope thread;
- acrylic paints, including in the form of a spray;
- contour and stained glass paints;
- shells of various shapes and sizes;
- napkins for decoupage;
- acrylic glue;
- newspapers and magazines;
- cardboard and white paper;
- bamboo rods and wheat ears;
- self-adhesive decor.
In the skillful hands of a stylist, even an ordinary glass jar or bottle can become a work of art. Moreover, its decor, as a rule, does not take much time. Someone simply puts a deep container inside the can, and fills the entire inner space with small sweets or even various cereals, alternating it in layers. A more interesting solution is to put on a glass container knitted with lace or bundles of cloth (or even a cut off sleeve from a knitted sweater). Due to such "clothes" the product can add a certain amount of home comfort to the interior.
Variants of use in the interior
The floor vase can be placed in different rooms as well as in different places. For instance:
- it looks harmoniously below from the side of the stairs;
- no less expressive is her presence in the living room next to a set of upholstered furniture, where everyone will pay attention to her;
- you can put an original accessory near a small cabinet and a chair;
- the neighborhood of a floor vase with a bedside or other compact table is appropriate;
- a beautiful vase, which is part of the compositional decor, can stand near the chest of drawers, on which there are accessories of smaller sizes, but of the same design;
- you can put not one, but three vases, placing them near the wall with paintings;
- you can decorate with an extraordinary vase or even two space near the panoramic window;
- you can fill in the accessory the place of the ledge by the fireplace or by the window.
There can be many options for using a floor vase in the interior. The specific place, as a rule, dictates the very layout of the room. This is a niche place, part of a ledge, a place on the side of a closet, in the corner of a home library, a video zone, and even a hallway.
The main thing is that it stands out, you need to choose the right color before starting work. For example, a white vase needs contrast and is lost against the background of a white wall cladding.
For information on how to make a do-it-yourself floor vase from scratch, see the next video.