When installing or assembling various parts made of polymers or metal-plastic, there is a need to connect them with glue. The presence of additional holes will make the joint more vulnerable to fracture or other mechanical stress. Cyanoacrylate glue is one of the best options.
Features of the composition
Any cyanoacrylate two-component adhesive consists of copolymers. They have a high level of adhesion to absolutely any surfaces. Each manufacturer has its own composition of glue, the manufacturing features of which are kept secret. All adhesives perfectly hold surfaces together and are also characterized by a long service life.
Each adhesive is based on cyanoacrylate and acid derivatives , which can make up 99% of the total content. For additional properties, plasticizers and thickeners are added.
This composition begins to set only when exposed to weak alkali or ordinary water - this is one of the basic principles of working with cyanoacrylates. With a very thin layer, the setting process can also take place without moisture.
Properties and specifications
Today, cyanoacrylate glue is produced by many well-known companies. Their main property is high adhesion to a large number of surfaces: wood, glass, metal, plastic, rubber. It is also worth noting that such compositions are absolutely not subject to the influence of water, oils, gasoline or various alcohols.
Cyanoacrylate adhesive works well with gaps less than 0.1 mm. It can be used for gluing tight surfaces. However, there are high viscosity formulations that are suitable for working with gaps of about 0.25 mm, while their consumption per m² is about 300 g. If it is necessary to close a large gap, usually Cosmofen or CA-4 is used.
The technical characteristics of cyanoacrylate glue determine the scope of its use.
- Condition. It is a dense mass with a high degree of viscosity. Many options are transparent.
- Packaging. It is sold in a fully sealed container. The package contains instructions for use with a description of precautions.
- Solidification. At room temperature and low humidity, the curing process takes place within a few seconds. When the humidity rises, this process is carried out almost instantly.
- Temperature range. All one-component and two-component cyanoacrylate compounds can withstand temperatures from -60 to +80 degrees. Special heat-resistant compounds are capable of not losing their qualities even at temperatures of +250 degrees.
When considering cyanoacrylates, one must also indicate their advantages and disadvantages.
The positive aspects include:
- very fast solidification (within a few seconds);
- reliable grip of the connected elements;
- fixing different materials among themselves;
- ease of use;
- invisible seams;
- the ability to use on porous, inclined planes;
- there is no need for lengthy surface preparation.
You also need to know about the cons:
- difficulty working at high temperatures;
- cannot be used to join Teflon or silicone surfaces;
- not suitable for gluing parts that will subsequently have a large fracture load;
- large gaps cannot be filled with such glue.
Scope of application
Cyanoacrylate glue is produced with various additives - plasticizers.
Thanks to them, several main uses of such glue can be distinguished.
- In everyday life, cyanoacrylate compounds are irreplaceable. Almost every owner has this glue. The use of different formulations often depends on the situation and the material, although universal adhesives are usually present at home.
- In cosmetology, it is used for eyelash extension. Usually, formulations with an increased amount of acrylic are used, since they do not harm the nails, they are also easily removed using organic solvents.
- In dentistry, special compounds are used that are designed for gluing extremely small chips.
- For insulating wires or making perfect connections.
Studying the building materials market, one can see that there are a large number of enterprises that produce cyanoacrylates. It is worth paying attention to the most popular models.
- Pronto CA-4 - this adhesive is a ready-to-use product with high viscosity and versatility. It does not require the addition of any compounds to improve properties.
- Interbond is a cyanoacrylate bicomponent formulation used on MDF, chipboard, rubber or leather. It provides moisture and heat resistance to the connection. It can be used as a regular adhesive in a 400 ml package, or with cyanoacryate in a 20 g or 100 ml package. The glue has a high flash point and sets within 5–7 seconds. During storage, avoid sudden changes in temperature and direct sunlight.
- Permabond 791 - This cyanoacrylate compound is used for bonding various elastic and rigid surfaces. It cures within seconds, often referred to as "second" glue. The transparency of the composition allows its use when working with glass surfaces. Also, this glue is liquid, which allows it to be conveniently applied, and this is very important for fast curing. It provides sufficient water resistance.
- Cosmofen is the most common adhesive in this category. The manufacturer offers a large selection of universal and specialized structural compounds. Its consumption is small enough that you can always have a small bottle of Cosmofen at home. With proper use and maintenance, the product can be stored open for a month.
How can you dissolve?
When working with cyanoacrylates, there is a possibility that the adhesive will get on surfaces that are not involved in the bonding process. Most often this happens due to an unprepared workplace. A tool has not yet been invented that allows you to dilute the glue to further remove it without damaging the surface. You cannot wash off the glue from the surface.
The main method is mechanical. Working with a sharp knife must be done very carefully, otherwise you will remove the glue and damage the integrity of the surface.
If the glue comes in contact with your skin, don't look for a cleaner or solvent. The glue cannot be wiped off or washed off, as it will be removed along with the skin.
The best way is to wait a little until the glue starts to peel off, only then can you start removing it.
Tips & Tricks
When working with cyanoacrylate glue, you should adhere to personal safety rules. All work should be carried out only in a well-ventilated area, because glue fumes are very toxic. Do not allow this substance to come into contact with the skin and mucous membranes.
Before using, you must study the instructions, because different compositions are designed for working with certain surfaces. It also indicates the terms of operation, storage conditions and features of work.
Cyanoacrylate adhesives are an excellent find and a way out of difficult situations where the fastening must be strong and invisible.
Such compositions quickly seize and adhere almost any surface to each other.
For information on how to quickly remove glue from the skin, see the next video.