In the interior, every little thing should not only fit perfectly into the interior, but also fulfill its function. A beautiful but uncomfortable curtain rod will hardly make life easier. Therefore, before buying it is necessary to obtain comprehensive information about this piece of furniture.
The choice should be made very responsibly. Since this is a functional accessory, it should not only fit in style, color scheme and size to the overall design of the room, but also should be simple and easy to use. There are a huge number of all kinds of designs on sale. Let's take a closer look at them.
Curtain rods have a wide classification. They differ in the method of fastening, materials used, appearance, configuration, number of rows.
By configuration, the following types are distinguished:
Round or barbell
A round profile or bar is used as an element holding the curtains. They are more durable than others, however, in the case of particularly heavy curtains, they sag. In this case, the pipe is divided into two and a third bracket is added - the structure becomes rigid, easier to repair and dismantle.
In round cornices, depending on the shape, number and location of pipes, several types are distinguished:
- Corner. The L-shaped bar is used here. Vertical reinforcement is used to increase strength. Most often, such curtain rods are purchased for bathrooms.
- Arched. Eaves in the form of a semi-oval.
- Several pipes. Various pipe positions are used. Vertical, horizontal, diagonal.
- Cornices "cafe". Curtains and tulle are put directly on the pipes through special holes.
- Sliding curtain rods feature a bar, the length of which can be adjusted using the inner bar - pushing it in or out.
- On sale there are so-called type-setting rod curtain rods. They allow you to select all the elements of the console to your individual preferences.
- Easy to install. The ability to install yourself.
- A wide range of materials, colors and textures.
- Versatility. Suitable for any style.
- High load-bearing capacity. Suitable for heavy curtains.
- Long service life.
- It is impossible to move the curtain along the entire length of the structure due to the presence of brackets.
Unlike sucker-rod, a string is used as a supporting element. Naturally, the strength and bearing capacity of such cornices is noticeably lower. It is recommended to use them for tulles and light curtains, for example, in the kitchen, balcony or bathroom. The advantage of such cornices is the presence of light effects and the effect of airiness. Tulle seems to float in the air. And the ease in moving the curtains along the string makes it possible to install a sliding mechanism.
- The design takes up little space and is easy to transport.
- The effect of floating in the air.
- Various string tensioning systems.
- Design for precious metals: silver, gold, copper, platinum.
- The length of the cornice can be more than 5 meters.
- The presence of several cables corresponds to the multi-row.
- You can place the cornice not only near the window, but also between the walls. Used to create an airy effect when the cable is not pulled parallel to the wall.
- Not suitable for heavy fabrics.
- Steel is subject to corrosion.
Profile or rail
They are flat profiles with roller tracks inside. Due to the presence of pivoting elements, a variety of shapes can be made. Profile cornices are perfect for canopies around beds, as well as for creating a broken line of curtains. For lovers of lambrequins using tulle and curtains, triple modifications are perfect.
- The presence of several rows.
- Small size and weight.
Profile, covered with a baguette. The latter can be of various shapes, colors and sizes - square, semicircular. In the case of using several rows, the first has a Velcro strip for a lambrequin.
- Luxurious exterior.
- A baguette will help hide various flaws due to a fairly wide bar.
- Can be used for various arches, bay windows.
- As standard, only used in luxury interiors.
Depending on the number of guides, there are:
- single row;
- double row;
Special attention should be paid to the type of curtain fabric mounts:
- Hooks. For profile cornices, they are made transparent.
- Magnetic clips. They can also perform a decorative function due to a wide range of colors and shapes.
- Eyelets. An element that reinforces the edges of the holes for threading.
- On fabric hinges.
In addition to sliding mechanisms, there are also lifting ones, they allow you to lower and raise the curtains using a special mechanism. Perfect for French, English curtains.
When choosing, take into account the weight of the material from which the curtains are made. For example, curtains made of dense material that do not allow sunlight to pass through the bedroom are usually chosen. Here it is better to opt for pipe eaves with three brackets. Such structures have sufficient strength. Eaves with a turn will effectively close the space between the wall and the curtain.
For tapestry, which is gaining its popularity, as an interior item, the cornice will be the easiest and most convenient way to hang it. Trumpet cornices in the desired style and strings are also suitable. Filament curtains or muslin can be hung on different structures and in different ways. The simplest of them, perhaps, will be hanging the threads directly on the pipe.
If you sew the threads to the curtain tape, then the choice becomes much wider - profile and baguette cornices are suitable here, filament curtains on a string cornice will look great.
The LED lighting of the cornice, which creates the effect of curtains floating in the air, has become a special chic. Cornice lighting will only look good on ceiling cornices. Particularly interesting is the variant of hidden illuminated cornices.
For the living room and hall, due to the huge number of styles, a baguette is suitable.
The airiness of curtains on a string is perfect for curtains on a balcony or loggia. However, in the case of a double-glazed window on the balcony or even the kitchen, you can do without a cornice at all.Roller and roman blinds are gaining popularity; if they are used, you can do without drilling.
It is much more difficult to choose a curtain rod for a roof window than a regular one. A roof window is understood to be a tilted, oblique or trapezoidal window. For windows of this type, round and rail options are best suited. The main problem is fixing the canvas. In the case of slanted windows, the curtains will hang in the middle of the room, not performing their function. And with a sloped top, they will simply roll down to the bottom edge.
On sloped windows, in the case of round cornices, a second additional rod is assumed. It is installed on the lower edge of the window. The length of the fabric is chosen so that it does not adjoin the window and does not sag strongly enough. With this technique, designers often create very interesting airy compositions.
If the window has a non-standard shape , for example, triangular, the profile can repeat it, which will add zest to the interior. Also, flexible profiles are suitable for windows with a sloping top, as they have a fixed leaf.
The windows in the corner often become a headache for the hostess. Curtains should not only hide flaws, but also emphasize advantages. Solving this problem in the context of several windows, located in a non-standard way, becomes difficult. In such cases, curtain rods must be selected flexible or with special connecting elements.
When choosing, take into account the geometric features of the space.
Design and decor
The design is very different. Decorative elements are arrowheads, baguettes, stained glass rods and carved designs on them. Let's take a look at several trendy styles.
Wall-mounted pipe cornices are perfect for the Provence style. Wooden, decorated in antique style, they will add comfort and warmth to the room. For "country" it is also better to consider the option of round cornices, only in this case, pay attention to the dark massive options. They must be combined with other wooden design elements.
For the high-tech style common today, metal string curtain rods are suitable. They will bring severity and asceticism to the interior. The loft style is a more filled interior, although the curtains are not given special attention.
Use a profile to avoid crowding your interior. In addition, the backlighting will be very useful.
Cornices are most often made from the following materials:
- Wood. An irreplaceable and most environmentally friendly material for living quarters. Timeless classics and elegance, plus high durability and reliability.
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Low cost and original design brighten up the low strength of plastic curtain rods. The main advantage is the flexibility of the final product.
- Metal. The most commonly used materials are aluminum and brass. Metal fits perfectly into a modern, strict, discreet style. You can decorate it with bright curtain fasteners or an exquisite tip.
- Forged. The highlight of the interior, the cherry on the cake, the key element of the interior - instantly attracts the eye. They have a high cost, as they are made to order based on the wishes of the customer. They perfectly emphasize the richness and luxury of the interior.
- Glass. Cornices made of glass completely are exotic. However, glass is widely used in the manufacture of tips and various accessories. Unusual and artfully crafted glass tips highlight the uniqueness of the interior.
The main parameter of the eaves is the length. To calculate it, you must first decide on the type of installation, which depends on the style of the room and its features. Installation types:
- Across the entire width of the wall. In this case, the length of the product will be slightly less than the width of the wall. Consider the length of additional parts such as handpieces. This installation method is used in narrow elongated rooms to visually increase the space of the room.
- Fit to window width. The length of the cornice should be 30-40 cm longer in relation to the window, if a thick fabric for curtains is used, then by 50-60 cm. The stock will allow you to open the window completely.
In the case of pipe curtain rods, note the following.
- Please note that regardless of the installation method, there must be a distance between the ceiling and the window for the bracket . If it is not there, you can install them along the edges of the window.
- When choosing the length of the bracket, pay attention to the presence of batteries, pipes, a protruding window sill. They should not touch the curtains.
- Number of brackets. There should be no more than two meters between the brackets. This means that for cornices less than 2 meters, two brackets are suitable, for 3-meter cornices - 3 brackets, for 5-meter cornices - 4. In this case, the pipe will not sag and spoil the overall appearance of the interior.
- Pipe diameter. For forged products, the minimum diameter is 16 mm, for wooden and plastic rods - 28 mm. These sizes are suitable for light to medium-weight curtains. For mini-windows, pipes with a diameter of 1 cm are produced.In other cases, it is worth either increasing the number of brackets, or buying a cornice with a pipe of a larger diameter.
Profile cornices have a maximum length of more than 3 meters. The width varies depending on the number of rows, so for a two-row tire - 8 cm, a three-row tire 8.7 cm.
Before buying a curtain rod, take a tape measure and measure the following parameters:
- Window width.
- Distance from the wall to the curtains, including batteries, pipes.
- Distance from side walls to window.
- Distance from ceiling to window.
The cornice should not only fit into the overall interior of the room, but also emphasize the curtains favorably. In this regard, the question arises of what to focus on when choosing. There are several guidelines.
A safe and convenient option is to match the color of the cornice to the color of the walls. In this case, it will merge with the main color and will not attract much attention to itself. Especially suitable for bright and interesting curtains in design.
If you need to stretch the room, add heights to it, choose the cornices in the color of the curtains. This will not only change the volume of the room, but also smooth out the interior overflowing with details.
A very common option is cornices in the color of the ceiling. Here you can pay attention to transparent options. They do not draw attention to themselves and fit perfectly into the overall design.
For lovers of risky decisions, cornices are suitable, contrasting with the main finish. Let's consider some options.
- A classic combination, although the interior is very bright - white and black.
- Light beige and cream tones against rich shades of dark chocolate, wenge, walnut and cherry.
- For dark shades of walls (black, purple, burgundy, brown), as well as for rich green and red, cornices for metal are perfect - silver, gold, bronze, brass.
Eaves include the following components:
- A pipe, string or tire is the element that supports the curtain.
- Fittings - tips, plank.
- Functional elements - side caps, corner rounding.
- Fasteners for eaves - eaves brackets, holders.
- Fasteners for curtains - hooks, rings.
Additionally, you can purchase a stick for sliding the curtains, grips or clothespins for the cornice, they are relevant for static fastening of curtains, for example, for an inclined window, a deliter.
At the place of attachment of the cornices, two types are distinguished: those mounted on the ceiling - they are called ceiling and those attached to the wall - wall.
Wall cornices are a very common option. The element to support the curtain is attached to the wall with two brackets, sometimes three if heavy curtain fabric is to be used. Due to their prevalence and popularity, wall cornices are found in any design, so you can choose the right option for any interior.
- Easy to install. Possibility of self-assembly.
- Wide range of.
- Versatility. Suitable for different stylistic directions.
- High load-bearing capacity. Suitable for curtains made of dense, heavy fabrics.
- Neutral relationship with stretch ceilings.
- Traces on the walls after dismantling.
- Visually reduce space.
- Not suitable for flimsy walls.
- An accurate calculation is required when choosing a design.
They are less common, but they have their own merits. Due to the tight fit of the material to the ceiling cornice, excellent heat and light insulation is achieved. In the case of an arched tip at the console, windows can be completely excluded from the convection process in the room. that is, cold air from the windows will practically not enter the room.
- Visual enlargement of the room. The curtains fall from ceiling to floor.
- The unlimited number of anchoring points allows the correct distribution of the load, and therefore allows the use of even the heaviest curtains.
- The presence of several rows. Allows you to use lambrequins and tulle in conjunction with curtains.
- The ability to install complex geometric lines, repeating the elements of the interior due to the presence of angular details.
- Can be installed anywhere on the ceiling, which allows the use of curtains not only on windows.
- Conflict with a stretch ceiling. If available, specialists are needed to install the cornice.
- The ceiling must be sufficiently strong and level.
How to choose?
Fashion also exists in the world of curtains. Minimalism is in vogue now. Designers prefer airy monochromatic curtains on a string or baguette cornice. However, the classics are out of fashion, which is why the universal pipe curtain rods are still popular. Wooden options are elite. Very effective and often exclusive versions of forged cornices can be found in the best interiors.
Profile designs, as mentioned above, are perfect for the implementation of non-standard and unusual ideas. Manufacturers of the best furniture houses in Spain, France, Germany and Italy will satisfy any, even the most demanding buyer. The most popular are German and Italian manufacturers.
When buying, follow these rules:
- Consider the load-bearing capacity. Pay attention to the weight of the curtains and, based on this indicator, select the cornice. For heavy, dense curtains, a ceiling mount is better.
- Choose the most suitable fastening for the curtain fabric. They should move freely and not damage the fabric.
- Pay attention to the presence of a battery, pipes and a protruding part of the window sill.
Accommodation options in the interior
Let's consider the most interesting design solutions.
The photo shows an unusual pipe cornice. The metal adds austerity and austerity to the interior, and the contrasting gray color only attracts attention.
The advantages of window profiles are shown here. The ability to create different geometric paths allows you to divide the space into different zones without the use of walls and screens. In the niche, you can build in the backlighting, which will add weightlessness to the curtains.
The baguette, made in the same color as the cotton curtains, perfectly emphasizes the whiteness and weightlessness of the tulle.
How to choose a curtain rod for curtains, see the next video