Every detail is important in a harmonious interior. This applies not only to furniture and decor, but also to elements such as doors. Without these components, no modern dwelling can exist. The door leaf should be not only functional, but also attractive in order to successfully complement the existing ensemble. Often the owners want to renovate their doors, but do not know how to do it correctly. Today we will talk about how best to paint this element of the home to make it even more attractive.
It's no secret that over time, all the details in the interior wear out and gradually lose their original appearance. Better, more reliable materials age slightly more slowly, while cheaper and fake materials age much earlier. Noticing that the interior or front door to the dwelling has lost its visual appeal, many owners want to return it to its former attractiveness.
Regular painting is a good solution to this issue. Fortunately, modern manufacturers produce coatings that easily fit not only on wooden canvases, but also on metal or plastic surfaces, so the optimal paint can be selected for any material.
However, often people turn to such an update of the door structure, not because it is badly worn out and requires restoration, but in order to revive the interior a little and bring fresh colors into it.
Do not underestimate the role of the door leaf and its colors in the interior, as often such elements radically change the tone of the ensemble and give it a particular style.
Paints and varnishes are good not only for decorating and updating doors, but also for the choice of shades. Today in stores you can find mixtures of not only classic and neutral, but also the most unexpected and even acidic tones. This suggests that the modern consumer is free to shape absolutely any interior, from classics to insane avant-garde.
Many users give preference to painting doors also due to the fact that everyone can cope with this process. It is not too complicated and does not require special knowledge and skills. It is enough to know only the basic basics of painting door leaves.
Almost all types of modern interior doors are suitable for painting. High-quality wood or veneer canvases are ideal.
There are many attractive and durable hardwood models on the furniture market today, which include:
- Beech. Otherwise, this breed is called the "tree of kings" because of its unsurpassed quality and solid appearance.
- Oak. Oak doors can boast of enviable durability, reliability and a unique shade. This is especially true of the luxurious bog oak.
- Nut. This attractive wood has an interesting moire pattern and rich dark shade.
- Ash. In terms of strength, this material is comparable to oak, but it costs much less.
- Linden. This wood has a light shade and is inexpensive.
No less popular canvases from coniferous tree species, such as:
- Spruce. This material is not very durable, but it is ideal for an interior door.
- Pine. Pine canvases have a pleasant and calm color. In addition, these doors are inexpensive and attractive.
- Cedar. Cedar doors are highly reliable and resistant to mold.
- Alder. Alder doors are similar in characteristics to pine models, but they are more resistant to temperature extremes and exposure to humid air.
Also suitable for painting are hybrid products, which include a frame made of veneered or solid pine wood or an inexpensive canvas made of materials such as MDF, fiberboard or chipboard. Often such products are covered with veneer.
In addition, attractive veneered specimens can be shielded or paneled. Paneled structures are ideal for installation as a traditional piece of furniture. Conventional shield options can be used a little differently.
Due to their smooth surface, they are often used to create hidden interior paintings. Otherwise, such elements are called "invisible" doors.
You can paint not only a wooden, but also a plastic door. But if you want to achieve the most durable and attractive result, then you will have to stock up on special spray paint in cans. For example, this could be the popular Amphibolin 2000 formulation.
How to paint in the apartment with your own hands?
The choice of a suitable paint and varnish coating mainly depends on what kind of appearance of the door leaf you plan to get as a result, on the experience in such matters and, of course, on the conditions in which the painting will be done. If you are going to process a door outside the walls of a dwelling, then you need to choose an odorless finish so as not to harm the health of the people around.
There are several types of enamel paints on the market that can be used to treat the door and its components:
- Acrylic. Such paint perfectly hides any defects on the painted surface. It also protects the material from dampness and moisture, and the formation of mold. It can also be used for glass. Today, many companies produce high-quality acrylic compounds that are environmentally friendly.
- Alkyd. This composition is very similar to traditional oil paint, but has more significant protective characteristics that can last up to 4 years.
- Polyurethane. This paint is highly durable and durable. It perfectly fills the pores of natural wood, which protects it from moisture and pollution.
- Water dispersion and water emulsion. These paints are quick-drying and do not contain substances harmful to health. In addition, they do not emit a pungent odor and are durable.
- Powder and hammer. These options have appeared on the market relatively recently. They are not designed for wood finishes. As a rule, metal sheets are covered with them.
- Wax and oils. These specific finishes are more commonly purchased for wood finishes. They allow the material to “breathe” and have a restorative effect on damaged surfaces. However, wax coatings are not quick-drying, so it will be possible to use the treated door only after 3-4 days.
For patination fashionable these days, the following compositions are used:
- Acrylic paint in a wide range of colors.
- Bituminous, giving a dark brown tint.
- A waxy patina that can have both natural and blue-green tones.
- Shellac patina available in golden to red colors.
- Oil patina, which is rarely used in modern interiors.
To paint a door leaf, you must have the following materials and items:
- "Trestles" or other similar structures for laying the door in a suspended position;
- dry brush;
- fine fleece roller;
- special pallet for paint;
- spray gun;
- craquelure for door decoration.
Which color should you choose?
Modern manufacturers produce paints and varnishes in a variety of colors. Thanks to such a rich assortment, homeowners will be able to easily implement even the most non-trivial design ideas.
Nowadays, there are several leading trends in the color of interior door structures:
- soft and delicate shades, light notes of blue, peach, grassy, pink or lavender;
- dark dense shades of brown, cherry, blue and chocolate;
- rich and juicy shades (red, orange and yellow);
- noble tones that imitate natural wood such as wenge, oak, walnut or cedar.
In addition, many designers recommend that owners adhere to the following guidelines when choosing the right color.
- Deep and dark shades such as cherry, red walnut or dark chocolate bring luxurious and elegant notes to the living room interior.
- As for discreet light colors, they are best suited for cozy bedrooms or children's rooms, as they create a pacifying and calm atmosphere.
- If there is a beautiful white bedroom set in the room, then it is better to choose the door in a similar color scheme. It can also be supplemented with gilded panels.
- In a wooden house, solid wood canvases treated with transparent oil impregnation will look ideal.
- For a classic ensemble with antiques, you can purchase an interesting artificially aged wood model.
- As for the door frame, it should be slightly lighter or darker than the main wall decoration.
Painting technology of a new canvas
Previously untreated wood intensively absorbs moisture. If, for example, you put such a cloth in a bath without treating it with special impregnations, then it will swell pretty soon and simply stop closing reliably. This suggests that before installing and painting a wooden door, it must be properly prepared.
All work must be carried out indoors so that dust and dirt do not get on the treated canvas.
First, the door is laid without any fittings on a flat and stable surface. As a rule, at the stage of production, the blades undergo preliminary grinding, but often they still have slight roughness or protrusions, so it is worth going through it again with a sander or sandpaper.
Before painting, the canvas must be treated with a primer. First, it covers all the grooves of the canvas, and then even surfaces.
Since the structures will be in a horizontal position, drips and drops will not appear on them, and the primer will be absorbed as evenly as possible. After that, you need to let the product dry to the end and carry out a second processing.
Now you can go directly to painting the canvas. It is better to cover panel models with a roller, and paneled ones - with a narrow brush. Make sure the paint is not too thick. If its consistency is that, then it should be diluted with a solvent.
Do not decorate the door with a too thick layer of paint, since the product can only deteriorate from such actions. Depending on the coverage characteristics, 2-4 coats of paint may be required. Keep in mind that each of them must dry completely before applying the next. While the door leaf itself dries, you need to process the opening.
If a stain is chosen to finish the new canvas, then the primer does not need to be used.
Drastic color change
A previously primed and painted door can be repainted on its own at home. First you need to carry out all the necessary preparation. First of all, the old paint layer is removed. With the complete removal of the previous layers, the door can be repainted in any color, be it classic brown, white or black, as well as brighter and more colorful tones. However, in the second case, you should check how appropriate the paint will look in the room. To do this, you need to apply it on a couple of boards and attach it to the door leaf.
After these procedures, you can start repainting the door according to the algorithm:
- The canvas needs to be putty. A special compound for wooden doors can be purchased.
- Then the putty is dried.
- After that, you need to sand the surface with sandpaper.
- Now we apply a layer of primer, oil or wax (you can choose fireproof materials).
- Doors need to be painted from the top corner.
- Small elements are painted with a brush.
- The paint should only be applied in the direction of the wood grain.
Now you need to let the canvas dry completely. It is desirable that it be in a horizontal position.
How to remove old paint?
To soften the previous paint layers, you can apply a chemical wash coat and let it soak into the surface. This job can take about 2 hours. After a while, the old paint will begin to bubble and move away from the door. It can be qualitatively removed with a spatula until the canvas is completely cleaned.
Also, to remove the old paint, it can be warmed up with a building hair dryer and removed with a spatula. As long as the finish is well heated it remains as soft as possible and much easier to remove.
Both of these methods can be used. Especially often this method is used in order to clean oil paint applied in many layers.
You can degrease a wooden door with a metal brush and fine or coarse sandpaper. In especially difficult cases, a plane or aggressive chemical compositions are used. Plastic models are degreased with acetone and white spirit.
How quickly to putty?
Putty is the final stage of preparing the door for painting and does not take much time. Depending on the condition of the canvas, it can be filled in whole or in part. After that, you need to wait until the composition is completely dry and you should go over the door with sandpaper (over the entire surface or in separate areas). There is no need to rush here so as not to harm the canvas.
If you want to paint a door using two different colors, such as contrasting black and white, then you first need to apply a base coat. In this case, white. After that, you should wait for it to dry completely and process those areas that will be painted in a different shade. Also, as you work, you can glue certain surfaces with adhesive tape so that paint of a different color does not get on them.
After drying and processing the base layer, you can re-stick the tapes on it and start painting the previously closed areas in black.
Making a semi-antique door
If you like vintage style and antique look, then the door can be decorated with patina.
This procedure takes place in several stages:
- first, the surface of the door is processed with an iron brush;
- then a white primer is applied;
- after it dries, a gray patina is applied;
- its top layer will need to be removed with a sanding bar;
- at the end, you need to apply at least two layers of enamel.
Various elements can be used to decorate a repainted door, for example:
- patterned compositions applied using stencils;
- you can add a dermantine, leather or woven patch;
- aged craquelure;
- metal or glass inserts.
Original options for the interior design of the room
Doors in the loft style interior can be painted in both pastel and dark shades. Deaf black canvases in such ensembles will also look good, especially if they are set against a background of neutral-colored laminate and walls decorated with decorative bricks.
Provence style doors should not be too dark and gloomy. Milky, beige, cream or ivory paint will look best on such canvases. Such designs should overlap with the soft and delicate colors of the good-natured Provencal style.
Doors in classic ensembles can also be painted in dark or light colors. The main thing is to rely on the main interior palette. For example, in a room with soft peach walls, a milky door decorated with orange stencil patterns will organically look. In more subdued environments, made in chocolate or caramel colors, doors painted in dense dark brown shades will organically look.
Lovers of bright solutions can paint the doors in the room in the most unexpected and juicy colors. For example, in a room with muted blue-gray walls and a dark brown floor, a yellow door will act as a bright accent.
However, colors do not have to contrast noticeably with each other to create an original and fresh ensemble. So, a simple wooden door, painted in deep blue, will look attractive in a room with dull blue walls and dark blue curtains. In such conditions, a bright door will revive the entire ensemble and will organically stand out against its background.
A door in a bright room with bright furniture can be repainted in neutral gray. For example, it can have white walls, a brown laminate floor and a red leather seating area. It is not recommended to install such canvases in interiors of a similar shade.
Blue door leaves will also look spectacular in snow-white rooms. This combination is especially appropriate in a nautical style. If you complete the space with a striped armchair and decorative elements in the form of boats and "treasure maps", then the ensemble will turn out to be very interesting and original.
In a room with coffee-colored walls and a dark floor, you can install a tall wooden door, painted and dense turquoise. Such a colorful combination will look unusual and cozy.
A canvas covered with white paint will look organic in almost any interior. It can be either a dark or a snow-white room. In the second case, you can avoid the fusion of the canvas with the decoration using an accent wall.
In this video you will find step by step instructions for painting the door.