A good night's rest has a decisive effect on daytime performance. To have a great night's rest, you need to choose the right pillow, comfortable and comfortable. Orthopedic pillows are very popular.
The usual down and feather pillows are not conducive to healthy sleep, as they give the spine an irregular position during the night's sleep. The orthopedic pillow allows you to get rid of any discomfort. It is specially designed to promote healthy sleep. A distinctive feature of such a product is the presence of a roller. It can be of different heights, which vary from 9 to 15 centimeters.
The peculiarity of the orthopedic pillow is that it fully corresponds to the anatomical structure of the head and cervical spine.
It guarantees an even distribution of the load over the entire body and also provides excellent support for the musculoskeletal system. The pillow with orthopedic effect is designed to prevent various diseases of the spine, improve blood circulation in both the brain and spinal cord, and is also a good solution to combat insomnia.
Benefit and harm
Orthopedic pillows have pros and cons, so it's worth weighing the pros and cons to decide whether to buy such a product.
- keep their shape perfectly;
- excellent air permeability;
- keep warm well;
- they are hypoallergenic, so they are suitable even for people prone to allergic reactions;
- do not absorb foreign odors;
- easy to care for;
- do not attract dust;
- allow to reduce pain associated with various diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Some buyers note the disadvantages of orthopedic pillows, but mostly they are due to the fact that the product was not selected correctly. For example, if a person is used to sleeping on very soft or tall models, then at first they will seem uncomfortable and hard for them. The habituation process will take no more than one week. The ball-filled pillow makes unusual noises when turning over at night. This sound can be annoying at first, but over time you get used to it and stop noticing it at all.
There are no special contraindications for choosing an orthopedic pillow, but you should be careful when choosing sleeping accessories for babies.
Most experts say that pillows with synthetic winterizer or feather filling are harmful to newborns. The latest options for orthopedic pillows can be used for children from a very young age.
An orthopedic pillow is useful for a child, as it contributes to the correct formation of the curves of the spine, reduces the load on the neck muscles, and also ensures a healthy and sound sleep. The filler of orthopedic pillows is always hypoallergenic and safe for the baby's health.
Modern manufacturers offer a wide variety of orthopedic pillows, which differ in size, shape, filler and even purpose.
In general, all orthopedic pillows can be divided into several categories:
- products for sleeping - are an integral part of bedding. They are great for correct spine positioning and are versatile;
- decorative models - decorate the interior, add coziness and beauty to the design;
- non-standard options - designed for a variety of purposes.
The head models are specially designed to ensure the correct position of the head and cervical spine during a night's rest. They can be used in complex therapy during the treatment of vertebral displacement.
The back cushion is an ideal choice for a workplace, for traveling in a car. It allows you to feel the maximum level of comfort, as it reduces stress and provides excellent back support.
The seating options have a hole in the middle. In appearance, such a product has much in common with a lifebuoy. This pillow will become indispensable during the rehabilitation period after childbirth or surgery.
The models "Memori" are very popular because they have a memory effect. This option ideally takes the shape of the body and does not require getting used to. It is ideal for sleeping on your stomach. Memory Foam is used as a filler. It perfectly follows the contours of the body, and also reacts to pressure and heat.
A great alternative to a pillow is a roller, which is mainly used for daytime rest. It is characterized by a cylindrical shape. Depending on the chosen filler, the roller can be of different hardness.
The classic model is distinguished by the choice of filler. This option is usually made from pure feathers, bird fluff, or synthetic fillers such as holofiber or synthetic winterizer are used.
Modern manufacturers of orthopedic pillows offer a wide range of models for adults and children, taking into account age characteristics. The differences are in size, choice of fillers, elasticity and rigidity of products:
- The pillow for a teenager is designed taking into account the anatomical and physiological characteristics, which ensures the formation of correct posture and correct development of the cervical spine. Orthopedic pillows are suitable for relaxing the whole body as well as providing a comfortable position for the shoulder joint.
- For sleeping on your side, a model with a shoulder notch is a good choice . Experts recommend using this option for people of dense build. For cervical osteochondrosis, an orthopedic pillow is required. It perfectly helps against snoring, since the cushion under the neck allows you to take the correct position during sleep, relax your muscles.
- Models with a cooling effect are an excellent solution for the hot season, since they have a gel as a filler, the temperature of which is several degrees lower than the temperature of the human body.
- Not many manufacturers offer pillows with magnets , but they can be purchased if desired. The peculiarity of the magnetic model is that it is equipped with magnets that affect the human body. This model improves metabolism, produces a light massage of the cervical spine, thereby reducing the load, and also improving blood circulation.
- For people prone to allergies, manufacturers offer hypoallergenic pillows . They are made from natural materials, therefore they have a beneficial effect on the body and do not cause allergic manifestations.
- The model looks original in the form of a male shoulder. This option will definitely appeal to the fair sex. You will be able to lie on your shoulder, feel warmth and comfort.
- Another original decision of the designers was a pillow in the shape of a bone . It is small in size, so you can take it with you on the road. It will allow you to sit as comfortably as possible on the seat, relax and unwind.
- Particular attention is drawn to the unique orthopedic transforming pillow , which is suitable for pregnant women and babies. First, it can be used by a pregnant woman for a comfortable position of the abdomen, and then this product will become a good pillow for a newborn. It is easily transformed and is also characterized by ease of use.
Materials and fillers
Manufacturers use a variety of fillers and materials in the manufacture of orthopedic pillows. Foam and gel are in great demand as a filler:
- Polyurethane foam is characterized by airiness, lightness, softness and elasticity. It provides excellent heat transfer. Today, many of the pillow models are made of memory foam. This filler perfectly remembers its shape, and after just a few seconds it returns to its original position. The foam can be of natural or synthetic origin.
Models made of polyurethane foam are characterized by a porous structure that perfectly adapts to the desired shape. Memory foam is an excellent choice when making orthopedic pillows.
- Latex foam models are in great demand . It is ideal for the production of bedding. The latex pillow is characterized by hypoallergenicity, elasticity and long service life. Products made from natural latex attract attention with properties such as bactericidal, breathability, wear resistance and hygroscopicity.
- Consumers are wary of orthopedic gel pillows , but don't be afraid of this filler as it provides coziness and comfort. The indisputable advantage of the gel pillow is "climate control". Among the variety of models with technogel, you can find great options with a cooling effect, which provide maximum comfort in the hot season.
- Pillows of buckwheat husks are now beginning to conquer the attention of the buyer due to the elasticity. Husk has good properties, as it provides micro-massage, excellent moisture removal and good air permeability. But this filler requires careful maintenance, which consists in frequent drying and airing. Not all customers like the smell of the product and the sound of the filler.
- The silicone pillow has orthopedic properties due to its structure. It quickly recovers its shape, is easy to care for and has good breathability. It is worth giving preference to silicone in the form of balls, since this option has a longer service life.
- Modern manufacturers often use additional impregnations to relax and calm the body. Models with aloe vera have a beneficial effect on the entire body. This pillow contains a huge amount of microcapsules. Upon contact with the body, they begin to open, while releasing useful substances. Aloe vera pillows are characterized by anti-inflammatory action, promote rapid wound healing.
Height, width and length are very important parameters of an orthopedic pillow. A large pillow does not always guarantee comfort and convenience. The dimensions of the product must fit your body.
For people with wide shoulders, options with dimensions of 70x70 cm or 50x70 cm are suitable, and for girls and women of a fragile physique, a pillow 60 cm long will be an excellent choice. Children's models also have appropriate sizes.
For the smallest, options with dimensions of 20x30 cm are usually selected; for school-age children, a 40x60 cm pillow is an excellent choice.
The height of the pillow should be chosen depending on your favorite sleeping position. For people who prefer to sleep on their side, the 10 cm height option is suitable. It is better to give preference to pillows with bolsters on the sides, since this arrangement will prevent the head from rolling off the pillow. If you like to sleep on your back, then the product should be of a lower height, for example, 6 cm and with a mandatory depression in the center.
Modern orthopedic pillows are presented in various shapes, among which the most common is rectangular. They are characterized by an unusual shape: a bulge at the edges and a depression in the middle. This unusual design is perfect for a good sleep.
This shape prevents deformation of the spine, relieves tension in the neck and shoulder muscles, and promotes good blood circulation.
Today pillows are presented not only for head positioning. An excellent solution for people with ankle or knee problems is the bagel model. This shape will allow you to find the most comfortable place for your leg. A round model is suitable for seating. Under the back, the triangular option is a good choice.
For babies, the butterfly-shaped model is an excellent choice. This option is ideal for newborns. The butterfly allows you to cope with many problems, for example, with the diagnosis of torticollis. It will come in handy with decreased or increased tone of the neck muscles, as well as with an uneven head.
Rating of the top best sleep models
Orthopedic pillows are produced in many countries of the world - in China, Sweden, Switzerland, Finland, Denmark and, of course, in Russia:
- Italian manufacturers produce orthopedic pillows, known in many countries around the world. These include companies such as Sealy, MaterLux, Vefer and Magniflex . They use extremely safe, natural fillers to ensure excellent quality and care for your health. The peculiarity of pillows from Italy is that they have a wave-like bend. Different heights allow everyone to choose the most comfortable height for a comfortable positioning of the cervical spine.
- German models from Breckle are in great demand . They are made from natural, environmentally friendly materials, therefore, they are considered the best in the world. But pillows from Germany also have a drawback - a high price.
- Products from Thailand are very popular. The renowned company Patex offers a variety of natural latex orthopedic pillows.
- The Finnish Familon pillows are ideal for people who are prone to allergies.
The online store "Medtekhnika" is quite popular among Russian stores. It offers excellent quality orthopedic pillows at an affordable price.
What is the difference between an orthopedic pillow and anatomical pillow?
The orthopedic pillow provides the most comfortable position for a healthy sleep. It can be used to shape the spine correctly, making it ideal for children and adolescents.
The anatomical model is designed to adapt to the shape of the body. For example, if a person lies down on such a pillow, then it completely fills all the bulges and depressions. It can be used both for everyday sleep and in cases where the orthopedic model will cause discomfort. For example, for sleeping with a bandage on the head or with a cast on the shoulder.
The difference between an orthopedic and anatomical pillow is that the orthopedic model provides the most comfortable and correct position during rest, and the anatomical model does not hold its shape, so the head can roll off of it.
The orthopedic pillow is hypoallergenic, protected from the development of various microorganisms. Down and feather models require careful maintenance so that various microbes do not get into them.
How to sleep on an orthopedic pillow correctly?
The product is intended for the head, so only the head should be placed on the pillow, and the shoulders should be lower. In order for the position of the head to be correct, it is worth following the instructions. The high part of the product should be in the neck area. You need to lie down in such a way that the head and neck are at the same level with the body. If you like lying on your back, then you should use the lower part of the product.
Tips for choosing
The variety of orthopedic pillows significantly complicates the selection process, since it is very difficult to find the ideal option for your wishes and preferences. To select the most comfortable options, you should adhere to several recommendations:
- To correctly determine the size, you need to take into account the width of the shoulders, because not only the head is located on the pillow, but also the neck and shoulders.
- You should adhere to the basic selection parameters for a specific person. For example, some prefer hard models, while others prefer soft ones. This criterion depends mainly on the composition of the product.
- The width of the pillow directly depends on the width of the shoulders. The wider the shoulders, the larger the orthopedic pillow should be.
- For those who like to sleep on their stomachs, products of a small height should be selected. The soft model is the optimal solution for sleeping on your stomach.
- A rectangular pillow is a universal shape, but you can choose another shape. Her choice is completely individual.
- The main element of the orthopedic pillow is the roller. If it is difficult to choose its size, then it is better to purchase a model with a small roller. If necessary, you can put something under the product. If the roller is high, then it will no longer be possible to reduce its height.
- If after sleep there is a feeling of comfort and lightness, then the pillow is chosen correctly. She definitely acts as a guarantor of healthy sleep.
- You should buy orthopedic pillows in specialized stores, as there professionals will help you choose the perfect option.
- Premium products are expensive, but remember that price should not be the determining factor in choosing a product.
- It is also important to pay attention to the material of the cover, since high-quality pillows are presented in covers made of beautiful and pleasant materials that provide excellent breathability.
Many buyers of orthopedic pillows are satisfied with their choice. Excellent quality, naturalness, hypoallergenicity and long service life are among the main advantages of the products. If you choose the right model, then everyone can enjoy a healthy and sound sleep.
Modern manufacturers from around the world offer a wide range of models. Customers like the variety of sizes, shapes, fillers. Some models are designed for specific purposes. You can easily choose models for both baby and adult.
What other problems an orthopedic pillow can solve, see the next video.