Many people choose a mesh as a fence for the site. This option has many advantages. It is presented in a wide variety. Before installing a mesh fence around your house, you need to carefully study all the nuances of such a design, as well as the rules for its installation. Only after familiarizing yourself with the characteristic features of all models of the assortment, you can choose the ideal fence for your site.
Features: advantages and disadvantages
As with any fence base, the mesh construction has its own characteristics. Among them, one can distinguish both positive and negative characteristics. The benefits of a mesh include:
- ease of acquisition. It can be found in almost any building supermarket, where a large selection of these products is presented.
- The design is easy to install yourself. The installation takes only a few days, and if you do not work alone, then the structure can be installed even within a day.
- An important advantage is the low cost of the mesh. Compared to stone or brick fences, metal or plastic mesh has a much more affordable price. Its installation does not require the purchase of additional materials and equipment, which helps to avoid the cost of tools.
- The fence is air-permeable. On a site with such a fence, it is fresh and cool at any time of the year.
- In addition to air, the mesh also transmits light rays. This feature is very useful for plants on the site.
- Due to its non-monolithic construction, the fence creates the optical effect of expanding the space on the site. It does not reduce the area visually, but on the contrary, adds spaciousness to the atmosphere.
- A fence of this type does not require preliminary installation of the foundation. This feature helps to save energy, time and money.
- An important quality of the net is its low weight. It is easy to carry from place to place, transport. Even for fencing a large area, all materials can be conveyed independently without harming health.
- The surface of such a structure is almost impossible to tear
The disadvantages of mesh material include the following:
- the mesh, in comparison with stone or wood, is unstable to strong natural disasters. In the event of an earthquake or hurricane, such a fence will not be able to stand in an even position for a long time.
- The protective function of such a fence is weakened. Uninvited guests will be able to enter your site simply by climbing over the fence.
- The mesh fence does not provide absolute privacy. Neighbors or passers-by can watch what is happening in your garden.
- The mesh weave is unstable to temperature extremes. Since the material is not monolithic, it is more susceptible to thermal influences.
- The quality of the product is also affected by excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays.
- A thin mesh can be easily bent or deformed by mechanical action.
- A fence made of this material requires careful maintenance. The fence needs to be refurbished from time to time in order for it to function normally.
- Compared to other materials, the mesh does not have a high level of aesthetics and attractiveness.
- Most of the materials from which a fence can be made are not resistant to excessive moisture.
Mesh fences are not represented by a couple of models. They are classified according to several characteristics into a fairly large number of species.
According to the design and materials, fences include the following types:
- chain-link mesh is a very common type for a fence, which is a wicker option. It was invented back in the 19th century, like the machine for making it. The cells of the structure can have different sizes: from 0.25 to 0.7 cm. You need to choose the size, taking into account several factors:
- Fine mesh poorly transmits light to the area. Its purchase is justified if there is no vegetable garden. For summer cottages where landings are made, it is most optimal to choose models with a cell size from 0.4 to 0.6 cm.
- It is important that the sectional fence is able to resist impacts. Larger cells are more resistant to mechanical stress. It is optimal to choose them for playgrounds;
- wire, sometimes PVC coated;
- galvanized wire with polymer coating;
- stainless steel;
- soft iron wire.
There are the following types of mesh, depending on the coverage:
- the galvanized fence is equipped with a special zinc layer that prevents the appearance of rust as a result of environmental influences.
- A non-galvanized product is installed for painting. Such material must be painted immediately after installation. It is quite cheap, but more susceptible to negative influences and corrosion.
- A more expensive option is a plastic-coated chain-link mesh. Plastic most effectively protects the fence from various influences, makes the product durable, while making it more expensive.
The chain-link mesh has a number of advantages, thanks to which most buyers prefer it:
- Affordable price;
- the possibility of reusing the dismantled structure;
- suitable for fencing various types of sites, not just summer cottages;
- it is easy to install;
- such a net is sold in rolls, it is easy to complete and calculate the desired size.
- the chain-link mesh is quite resistant to temperature rises, it can withstand even very high rates.
Welded steel mesh is used for many purposes. It is of two types:
- construction consisting of squares.
The diameter of the wire from which the product is made varies within 0.3-0.5 cm. At the intersection, the rods are welded to each other for greater reliability. If additional reinforced layers for the floor or walls are created from the reinforcement mesh, then structures with square cells are used for other purposes, which affects their shape and size.
- For the fencing of the territories where animals will be, roll structures are used , which must have a clear uniform cell shape, be equipped with high-strength joints between the rods and have a high resistance to corrosion due to galvanizing. The correct geometry of the compartments will help not to harm pets and to avoid the spread of debris and droppings outside the enclosure. Strength is especially important, because among animals there are those who like to somehow influence the fence: butting, kicking, and so on.
- For fencing summer cottages, stadiums or industrial enterprises, such types of welded mesh are used, which are sold in layers. The area of the squares is usually 10x15 cm. The structure always lets in a lot of light, but it is more durable than the chain-link mesh. The fence is equipped with stiffeners, which give it additional strength, clear outlines and provide a higher level of protection of the land.
- Welded technology is carried out in two ways. One of them involves preliminary galvanizing. In the process of welding at the joints, the galvanized steel can peel off, which sometimes leads to subsequent corrosion in these places. If galvanizing is done after welding, then such a fence is more resistant to environmental influences. To ensure greater resistance of structures to impacts, an additional polymer layer is applied. The undoubted advantages of a welded product are its strength and reliability. It will last for a long time, because it is more resistant to deformation, since the structure is rigid. The relief of the surface on which the hedge is placed can be anything.
A fence of this type is equipped with special protrusions that complicate penetration into the site. In case of damage to the product, the situation can be easily corrected by replacing the damaged layer with a new one. Welded products are installed as a modular fence in areas around the cottages. The difference between this fence is that it consists of a set of elements. Sections, panels and various fasteners are supplied in a set, which significantly speeds up the process of installing a fence.
The plastic fence consists of interwoven extruded fibers with a polymer bond. It is used for the following purposes:
- as a garden trellis. Such a plastic fence is convenient for individual flower beds, beds or garden areas.
- As the main fence of the site. The product often has the same design as the chain-link, but has its own advantages.
- As an emergency structure, it is convenient to use plastic products covered with a layer of paint that reflects light.
The advantages of plastic mesh fencing are:
- possibility of installation without additional attributes;
- extreme lightness of design and ease of carrying;
- color variety of products;
- lack of corrosion and, as a result, resistance of polymeric materials to environmental influences;
- long service life, which often exceeds a decade;
- if there is a risk of injury during the operation of a metal structure, then the plastic alternative is absolutely safe;
- resistance to ultraviolet rays;
- ease of care. There is no need to cover the structure with a protective layer or enamel. You can clean the fence from contamination using ordinary water;
- the polymer material is non-toxic, therefore it does not cause diseases or allergies.
Among the disadvantages, one serious disadvantage can be distinguished. Plastic fences do not provide complete protection against entry by ill-wishers.
They are easily susceptible to mechanical stress, while there will be no noise warning of the appearance of robbers, unlike cases with metal structures. That is why it is recommended to use them not as the main fence, but as a partition on the site.
A separate type of mesh fencing is a corrugated mesh, which surpasses all other models in strength. It is made by a special weaving of metal rods, which is similar to that used in weaving. The metal rods are bent, and after weaving with each other, they are fixed. Their thickness can vary from 0.2 to 0.7 cm. The corrugated structure can have different strengths:
- standard models.
- Models and partly grooved. There is no corrugation on the wire from which they are made.
- Models with complex corrugation. Here, the warp and weft have additional grooved bends.
Raw materials for the manufacture of products with a relief can be varied:
- carbon steel;
- high alloy steel;
- low carbon steel.
An unusual option for decorating a site is a gabion mesh. It is a welded or twisted mesh box filled with various materials.
Boxes are most often rectangular or cylindrical; they are sometimes made of reinforcing mesh. The cells can be hexagonal or rectangular. The most popular fillers are stone and wood cuts, but other building materials are sometimes used as well.
Lightweight metal mesh is used as a temporary fence on the site. Parts of the wire in this design are connected using a hinge assembly. To make such a mesh strong, cells of the unequal size are made. With each row, their size decreases by 5-10 cm, and then becomes larger again. Such nets are convenient to use during construction work, but they are short-lived.
The range of shades in which hedge nets are made is not very wide. For each species, a certain range of colors is considered the most popular.
- The chain-link mesh can be gray, especially if it is galvanized. If the design is painted, then most often it is green or brown. Sometimes you can see yellow, black or red shades. Colored mesh requires compliance with painting standards, which involve calculating a coefficient for painting a lattice fence.
- Welded mesh is most often white or green. There are designs in blue and red tones.
- Plastic fences are often orange, light green, or yellow. This combination of colors helps to attract attention and sometimes plays a decorative role.
- For originality areas with a grid can be “diluted” with several monolithic blocks with photo printing. So, an almost transparent fence in combination with bright colors will be an interesting addition to the landscape design of your site.
Which one to choose?
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of material for the fence, you need to take into account a number of additional nuances, and also consider some types of mesh models.
- If the plot has a vegetable garden, consider buying a shade mesh. A shading hedge made of synthetic materials will protect your plants from the scorching rays and provide the optimal balance of light and shade. You can choose products with different degrees of ray transmission for more or less shading.
- Possibility of self-transportation of material to your site. If you have nothing to transport bulky structures on, a complete Euroset will suit you. It is very easy to transport finished materials in rolls on a regular passenger car.
- When choosing a gabion hedge, think about the best way to fill its box. Design your future fence in advance. So, in the design, you can successfully combine two different fillers, for example, stone and board. An interesting design can be created using crushed stone filling.
- In addition to standard welded fences, there is such a variety as expanded mesh. It has diamond-shaped cells and is highly durable.
- Pay attention to reviews about manufacturing firms. Among them, you can find companies that instead of traditional 2D products produce welded fences with a 3D effect.
It will take very little time to assemble the fence with your own hands, especially if you have a prefabricated kit with a net. Before installation, the following points must be taken into account:
- the place where the hedge will be located, and the possibility of its intersection with trees and other obstacles.
- How smooth is the relief of your site, whether there are slopes or rises on it.
- Required mesh length.
The mesh fence is installed in several stages:
- using ropes and pegs, you should mark the areas where the fence line will pass, if one was not previously available.
- After creating the layout, the supports are installed. At your discretion, they can be made of wood or metal. To install them, you can make single holes, or you can dig trenches. The bottom of the pit is covered with polyethylene so that moisture does not penetrate into the soil after the concrete has dried.
- A layer of rubble is laid, then a dense layer of sand. For best results, it is desirable to make reinforcement.
- After pouring concrete into the pits, it is left for several days until it dries completely.
- The mesh is fastened in two ways. A quick method is to pull the material between the posts. The mesh is connected to the frame with a knitting wire. This design can sag over time.
- To prevent sagging of the mesh, galvanized wire is used as an additional support for the fence. It acts as a support for the mesh structure of the fence, preventing it from deforming.
- A more painstaking method is to place the mesh in the frame and then attach the frame to the support posts. Sectional fence has a more aesthetic appearance. To put such a fence, you need to additionally buy special corners that fix the mesh and form sections.
Often a decorative function is inherent in the fence on the site. Mesh products are no exception. The designers came up with several interesting options for the design of the fence.
- To prevent the mesh fence from looking inconspicuous, it is decorated with a hedge. For this, climbing plants are used. Blooming, they significantly diversify and decorate the look of your site.
- An original design can be created on areas of a transparent fence using textiles. Small ribbons are fixed on rods and crossed, creating a pattern. The ribbons can also not be crossed or pulled through the cells, but simply tie them in knots at the joints.
- If you create a fence using boxes with filling, you can combine boxes of different shapes.
Choosing a mesh as a fence and taking into account all the features and varieties of its installation, you can decorate your personal plot and bring originality to your landscape design. If you decorate a fence beautifully, then your site will be admired by others.
In the video below you will see the installation and installation of a chain-link fence.