The original interior design is emphasized today by a traditional wooden ceiling. Solid wood trim is not only suitable for large houses, it is also relevant when decorating a standard apartment. Thanks to new technologies for processing this material, it is possible to create an appropriate atmosphere and highlight important details.
When planning a renovation, many people prefer suspended or suspended ceilings. Such options are easy to use and installed in a short time, but at the same time they do not have the proper environmental friendliness, unlike wood.
Advantages of a wooden ceiling:
- the finish looks great even without special wood processing, painting or toning;
- the material can be painted in any color or choose a combination of shades, apply an ornament, use additional elements;
- natural color and unique texture of natural wood looks noble, adds its own charm to the interior;
- wood retains heat in the room, protects against sound and noise penetration;
- it is possible to integrate lamps and ventilation systems into the ceiling;
- environmental friendliness of natural wood makes the air in the room cleaner, without emitting harmful substances;
- the combination of material with any type of finish expands the boundaries to create new images in the interior;
- the price for finishing the ceiling with an array is different, it depends on the type of wood and the way it is processed.
Natural wood serves for a long time, has a beautiful appearance, can be used not only as a decoration, but also to take on certain loads. The main positive quality of wood is its naturalness and breathability, which bring comfort. But there are nuances that make wood a complex element of decor - this is the severity of the structure and the difficult care of the material. Mostly because of these features, people prefer a simpler finish.
But these nuances can be beaten, for example, massive structures can be used as carriers, which will not only complement the interior in an interesting way, but will also be functional. The use of lighter composite materials will be a good substitute for an array, not inferior to it in properties and appearance.
Maintenance of such ceilings will not bring problems if the wood is correctly processed during the installation process, observing the following steps:
- grinding of natural material;
- coating with protective components - wax or oil;
- application of safe compounds - varnish, paint for protection and giving an aesthetic appearance.
Further, in the process of operation, you only need to maintain the wood, renewing and periodically applying new layers of protection. Such features will add positive characteristics to the ceiling and extend its useful life. The ceiling covering, which is called wood, must be of high quality.
Types of materials
The more noble the wood species, the more beautiful the ceiling. In addition, the varieties of the massif presuppose certain architectural structures. Pine and oak can be considered popular types of wood, they have endurance and an acceptable cost.
When using wood as a ceiling decoration, it is worth considering the peculiarities of its structure. For example, a structure made from a core requires complex manufacturing, and cracks can form during operation if the board is not properly processed. But at the same time, such an array is durable and not afraid of moisture.
Material options for finishing the ceiling:
- Lining. These are boards of the same size, already ground and shunted, with grooves for assembly. Lining is made from different species: coniferous varieties, beech, oak, etc. Products can be painted in various colors or have a natural shade.
- Panels. For their manufacture, common species are used: spruce, pine, as well as exotic and valuable varieties - mahogany, wenge. Veneer layers are glued together under pressure, creating finished panels. Products have strength, excellent appearance and long service life.
- Plates. They are made from valuable wood species, which makes them resistant to water, mold, mildew and dirt, which allows them to be used in places with maximum humidity. Products impregnated with wax are priced more expensive and have the highest characteristics.
- Plywood. It is resistant to wear and tear and has a long service life. Its composition is several layers of wood glued together. Plywood is easy to install; the surface of the ceiling made of this material is painted or tinted. The texture of the wood is not as clear and noble as that of a solid or veneered board.
- Ceiling fillet. The products look like a plinth made of wood. This finish will hide the ceiling imperfections, irregularities and flaws. Fillets have a natural wood color, their length is about 120 cm, which ensures quick assembly. Products can be veneered or laminated.
- Wooden wallpaper. This material is applicable for both walls and ceilings. The wallpaper is distinguished by its grace and beauty of texture. The modern technology of their production allows you to apply different design ideas for wood wallpaper. The products are made of veneer, rare wood species, attached to a paper or cork base. Such material perfectly protects against sound, is easy to install and maintain, while moisture negatively affects wooden wallpaper and is subject to mechanical damage.
- Imitation of a bar. This upholstery planed board, in its processing technology, is similar to clapboard, but much wider than it. The material is used as an imitation of the supporting structure in the ceiling of the room.
- False beams. Such structural elements are hollow inside, which allows communication wires to be laid in them. And outwardly, these are ordinary ceiling logs, visually performing a bearing function. False beams will serve as an excellent place for mounting fixtures, both point and center.
You can also trim the ceiling with unedged planks, lumber pieces, untreated wood, or use carved strips.
The hi-tech style is characterized by a clear geometry of lines, assembled compositionally into a single whole. The interior looks urban, supported by a timber beam, which is used to decorate the ceiling. The design can be in the form of geometric shapes or simulate logs. According to the color scheme, the ceiling must match the finish of the floor and walls. When planning a design, it is worth remembering that a high-tech feature is the absence of unnecessary details in the interior.
Country style will be complemented by wood panels or universal lining. Also interesting is the decoration of the ceiling with wood combined with stone or other natural elements. The color scheme of the style is natural shades, brown walnut, light pine, white beech, etc. And the interior, crowned with a fireplace and wooden furniture, will give the room a homey feel.
The combination of the beautiful and the utilitarian is a sign of the Art Nouveau style . On the ceilings, it is acceptable to combine natural wood of rounded shapes with modern items in the interior. The finishing of the ceiling with a wide glossy clapboard in combination with textured lumber walls will perfectly harmonize. A floral ornament on the walls and a parquet wooden floor will complement the decor.
The chalet style has its roots in Switzerland, it reflects the magnificent houses of this country. The monumentality of the ceilings and a certain gloom, intertwined with comfort, characterize it. The use of massive beams or beams around the perimeter of the ceiling, assembled in a variety of structures, will be very useful. There are no bright colors in the interior of the chalet, these are dark and rich colors - maroon, green, brown, marsh.
The focus in eco-finishing suggests that the created ceiling and the entire interior should be made only of safe materials. Wood is used with a pronounced texture in order to demonstrate its original appearance in every possible way. This is expressed by the beam structures placed on the ceiling, which complement the decorative elements created from natural materials such as plaster or paper. Also in the eco style, wood can be supplemented with a stone fraction of minerals in the form of a panel or additional decoration made of marble, granite elements.
Exotic and interesting design characterizes the Japanese style . The ceiling structure is mounted in the Land of the Rising Sun, most often from ceiling fillets or wooden panels of dark shades. The restraint of the interior in the Japanese style makes it possible to choose an uncomplicated geometry for the ceilings. These are straight lines, complemented by Japanese-inspired details.
Also, wood-like ceilings are welcome in loft or Provence styles . The ceiling covering also looks beautiful in Scandinavian design.
When creating an interior using a wooden ceiling, it is worth remembering some of the features of this material, which will affect the overall appearance of the room in the future:
- rocks of dark shades will visually make the room smaller, so their use will be appropriate for large and spacious rooms;
- light wooden ceilings are suitable for small rooms, they will add visual volume to them;
- the use of different types of wood as an element of decoration will create an exclusive decor;
- due to the ability of the tree to scatter light, the impression of a shaded room is created, but a well-chosen design and correctly placed light sources will solve this problem;
- a ceiling made of wood, depending on the material and design, will reduce the size of the room in height.
It is necessary to take into account the fact that each room is a separate element of style that is intertwined with its purpose. Therefore, the color scheme and material for its decoration should be selected individually for each room.
Wood in the interior should not be overused, oversaturation will only bring a negative impression. If you want to highlight the presence of wood, you should do this, for example, along the edge of the ceiling or limit yourself to longitudinal beams. In this case, the color of the floor should be selected several tones darker than the ceiling, and in the design of the walls, do without intrusive decor.
The manufacture of the ceiling and floor from wood has always been relevant. In some directions, it is even possible to apply the same pattern on surfaces. But the color scheme of the floor should in this case be several shades darker, which will add harmony to the interior.
If you still want to make the ceiling dark and the species of wood allows it, then it will be optimal to cover the surface with a matte transparent varnish in several layers, thereby creating some shimmer.
How to choose for different rooms?
For each room in the house, the style of the ceiling and the material of its manufacture are chosen in accordance with the functionality of the room.
For the kitchen, lining is relevant. It has water-repellent properties, which is indispensable for this room. The design of the lining on the thorn-and-groove principle will easily allow you to embed a hood into the ceiling or make holes for pipes, and its suspended structure is convenient for conducting wires and communications. The same material is appropriate in a bathroom or toilet. Often, laminated wood parts or varnished in several layers are used on the kitchen ceiling. This is necessary for quick and practical cleaning, and also excludes the formation of mold and mildew.
The colors of the ceiling in the kitchen are light shades that provide a visual spaciousness of the room. Optionally, you can use bright colors, combining them with pieces of furniture.
The living room in a private house is the place where the whole family gathers, therefore, wood ceiling decoration will create coziness and comfort of stay in this room. For example, wide beams or a panel-and-batten structure would be appropriate for a living room. And the presence of a fireplace in the room and wooden furniture will perfectly complement such an interior. High ceilings in the living room can be played up with dark woods, shading them with light sources. At the same time, several lighting options can be used in one room, for example, spotlights mounted in beams, and main chandeliers, spotlights directed at each other. Such light illumination will help to emphasize the texture of the wood on the ceiling, and also divide the living room into zones.
In the bedroom, depending on the style of the room, slatted ceilings or beamed ceilings can be used. This room is a corner of peace and tranquility, so massive details are not needed here. The main colors for this room are pastel colors - light beige, cream, powder color, light blue, lavender, olive. In this case, it will be necessary to paint the wood, but if you still want to apply textured options on the ceiling, then you should choose rocks of light shades. Optimal in the bedroom will be the manufacture of a ceiling and floor of wood. This combination will add softness and warmth to the room. The same ceiling can be chosen for the hallway.
Beautiful examples in the interior
Ceiling decoration with dark-tinted panels will correspond to snow-white wall columns decorated with clapboard, emphasizing the style of the room and creating a contrast. And furniture made of natural wood in a color scheme with a ceiling will add harmony to the interior. All the beauty of the textures of the array will be highlighted by lighting located along the perimeter of the ceiling in the form of built-in appliances, and sconces on columns with yellow lamps will set off the furniture upholstery in beige tones.
Dark brown larch-shaped cast-off timber beams made of larch will give a rustic, rustic feel to your village house. Combining such a unique ceiling with light-colored walls in contrast, the effect of monumentality is visible, bordering on simplicity. A wooden ceiling decorated with plaster bas-relief around the edges will emphasize the eco style, and if you choose furniture with glass elements, the design of the room will be more sophisticated.
Not only stylish drywall constructions have several levels, the use of wood is also an interesting and unusual option. Due to several levels, the space is zoned, giving the ceiling a visual intricacy. It is possible to create a lattice structure from slats or panels, while placing the squares straight or diagonally. You can emphasize the originality of the design with decorative beams fixed with an end, it is enough to cover the wooden surface with varnish or oils, emphasizing their texture. And harmonious lighting perfectly shades the elements, making the interior unique.
You can see how to cover the wooden ceiling in this video.