The corridor is the place where we find ourselves, crossing the threshold of the house. The first impression of your home is formed by the guests immediately after they get into this room. To make everyone like the room, you need to choose the right wallpaper for your corridor.
Most often, corridors in apartments have a small area. We will tell you how to visually increase the space using wallpaper in this article.
When choosing wallpaper for a small corridor, consider the following:
- It is necessary to limit the use of dark colors or play with it in contrast, for example, with white doors or white furniture.
- Bright shades, for example, red or orange, will create a festive atmosphere in your hallway, but here you need to know when to stop. A bright color must be diluted with calm pastel tones.
- It is necessary to choose the correct drawing. If you choose striped wallpaper, then you need to take into account that vertical stripes narrow the room, and horizontal ones, on the contrary, expand.
- An interesting solution would be to combine wallpaper in different colors. In this case, aesthetic and practical problems can be solved.
- When choosing a finishing material for the walls, think about whether it will be combined with the floor, furniture, whether it will suit the style.
The corridor is the most polluted room. Therefore, you need to choose wallpaper that is easy to clean. All washable wallpapers differ in their water resistance, and to determine it, there is a special sign on the packaging. Some types can be gently damp cleaned, others can be cleaned with a stiff brush, and still others can be cleaned with special products.
Wallpaper can be made from various materials:
- Vinyl washable. An excellent choice for a small corridor. High-quality and resistant to mechanical stress material, easy to clean, you can apply detergents to it. It must be remembered that you need to glue these wallpapers carefully, since after applying the glue they slightly expand, and after drying they narrow, which can lead to divergence of the joints.
- Glass fiber. Very reliable, environmentally friendly material. These wallpapers have high fire safety, high resistance to mechanical damage. This material can be repainted several times as it is solvent resistant. If you have pets, they cannot damage such wallpaper.
- Cork. They are only suitable for well-lit rooms due to their ability to absorb light. They are made by applying a thin layer of cork to the paper. Such a finishing material is environmentally friendly, durable and has a variety of eye-pleasing shades.
- Liquid. This wallpaper, unlike the others, is applied to the wall with a spatula. With this method of application, the coating is completely flat, without joints. They are cleaned with a vacuum cleaner, and if the surface is varnished, then it can be washed with a damp sponge.
- Non-woven. This finishing material is very popular nowadays. Has increased strength, durability, good decorative qualities. Due to the depth of the pattern, these wallpapers create volume that is so necessary for a small room.
- Paper. Such a finishing material is the most affordable due to its low cost. In addition, the advantages are their environmental safety and pleasant appearance. Due to the fact that such a finishing material is unstable to mechanical or other stress, the service life of such wallpaper is short.
The disadvantages of wallpaper finishing include the mandatory preparation of the walls before gluing them. The surface must be carefully leveled, all cracks must be repaired.
In the process of work, it is necessary to ensure that there are no noticeable joints between the canvases.
When decorating a corridor, the main attention should be paid to the illumination of this room. If for a well-lit hallway there are no special difficulties with the choice of wall covering, then for a dark corridor you need to choose wallpaper of light and saturated colors that expand the space.
Bright colors should not be used due to the fact that they tend to absorb light.
Choice of ornament
With the help of an ornament, you can correct the surface of the wall, hide some flaws or emphasize advantages. So, for example, if the wall is uneven, then wallpaper with a geometric pattern will only emphasize its unevenness, but a canvas with a blurred pattern, on the contrary, will hide flaws.
If you glue wallpaper with a bright ornament, then your corridor will look smaller, and if with a small pattern, then it will visually expand the narrow corridor.
If the corridor is square, then a variety of wallpapers will suit it, and if the room is long and narrow, then the choice will be much more difficult. You should not use finishing material with large and clear ornaments , otherwise your corridor will visually turn into a cramped and stuffy room.
A corridor with horizontal stripes will appear longer, and narrower if you choose material with a vertical stripe. For such rooms, a calm, neutral pattern is best .
If you have a wide corridor, then the best choice for it would be striped wallpaper with narrow vertical ornaments that visually increase the height of the room.
If you want to make your hallway more comfortable, get trendy textured wallpaper with imitation of tiles, fabrics, wood and other materials. If you want to decorate the corridor with pictures, you can get by with ordinary wallpaper of the same tone.
For a small corridor, you should not purchase finishing material with a large pattern, because it will reduce an already small space. Canvases with a dotted pattern or with a projection effect will help to visually expand the hallway.
For a small corridor or hallway, you can choose any wallpaper to your liking, but if the room is square, choose finishing materials that neutralize its shortcomings. For example, you can use wallpaper with vinyl chips - due to the small pattern on the general background, the space will seem more spacious.
It is important to remember that the pattern on the wallpaper should be smaller than the corridor furnishings.
When choosing a finishing material for walls, pay attention to its texture. In accordance with the designer's idea, you can choose canvases for stone, leather, plaster, textiles, wood, frescoes and other options. At the same time, do not forget that for the hallway you need to choose materials that are easy to care for.
To create an unusual, original setting in your corridor, you can use various techniques:
You can glue dark wallpaper in the lower half of the wall, and lighter in the upper half. They will add light and make the corridor visually wider, and the dark bottom will be a barrier to wall pollution.
When decorating with combined wallpaper, you need to carefully consider the selection of shades so that they combine well. For example, you can glue over a part of the wall near the floor with a canvas with a vertical pattern, and above it with plain or with a small ornament wallpaper. The combination of these types of wallpaper is made out by a baguette, selected in accordance with the design of the entire room.
To draw attention to the drawing on the canvas, you can use various moldings, panels and applications. So you can create an individual, unique design in your corridor.
If you have a long and narrow corridor, different wallpapers on opposite walls will look beautiful, subject to the combination of color and pattern.
For example, on one wall there will be wallpaper in the form of a floral ornament on a greenish background, and on the other there will be a canvas with vertical beige stripes. You can visually expand the room with this finishing option.
If in a long corridor the wall near the entrance is pasted over with darker wallpaper with an ornament, the opposite one with lighter wallpaper, and an arch is built or trimmed with panels at the junction, then such a corridor will look shorter. This way you can get two different functional areas.
You can also combine finishing materials of different colors - decorate the entrance area with a dark color, and then lighten using a gradient and make a gradual transition, for example, from dark green to light green.
It is best to place wall murals on the walls of the corridor farthest from the entrance. If they are made in warm colors, then the space will seem shifted, and if in cold colors, then the space will have a panoramic view.
If you put a small photo wallpaper on one side of the corridor in a frame, you can get a picture. If this picture depicts a landscape with a long real perspective, then it will visually deepen the space and will be an excellent decoration for the interior of the room.
If there is a storage room in a narrow corridor, then it is better to remove the door to it and make an opening in the form of an arch. By decorating the opening with suitable wallpaper, you can visually expand the space.
Another way to expand the corridor is to use mirrors . In long rooms, you can use rather large mirrors, and in shorter rooms, several small ones, giving the illusion of an unusual space.
Correctly selected wallpaper will help transform your narrow corridor into a wider space and make it more comfortable, bright and beautiful.
When decorating a corridor or hallway, remember that they are part of your apartment and should not get out of the general stylistic solution. If all these rules are observed, the corridor will give the owners comfort and aesthetic pleasure, and the guests will have fond memories of visiting your home.
How to choose wallpaper in the corridor, see the next video.