Professionals managed to bring the technology of mounting windows and doors to perfection. Particular attention in this work is given to the slopes, which are an obligatory element. According to current terminology, slopes are the wall surfaces around the door.
After installing the door, I want to rest, but the most crucial stage is just ahead. After installation in the opening of the product, it turns out that the door slopes look, faintly speaking, ugly, can spoil the first impression and the joy of replacing the door. A quite reasonable question arises: how can walls be repaired to make them look attractive?
The most popular options are to plaster and then paint or cover the space with laminate. Both options are practical, but when working with laminate you will have to make a crate. If there is absolutely no experience in carrying out construction work, and you want to spend a small amount, then plaster remains the most attractive option.
There are several reasons why you should choose wall plastering. Among the main advantages:
- there is no need to make a crate, which on the interior doors will take up part of the space in the aisle;
- there is no need to involve specialists in the work;
- low material cost;
- it takes half the time than in any other case when making slopes.
But this method also has disadvantages that you should be aware of:
- it is necessary to additionally cover the slopes with paint;
- from an aesthetic point of view, not the best option.
Working with laminate flooring requires not only experience, but also patience. The creation of the lathing takes more time, additional tools will be required:
- screw gun.
It is necessary to spend money not only on the purchase of material, but also on dowels, wooden beams, decorative corner and self-tapping screws. But, from the point of view of aesthetics, this is the most attractive design option for door slopes.
Slopes can be classified into two large groups, without taking into account the material from which they are made and the place of installation:
Internal ones bear on themselves not only a functional load, but also an aesthetic one, therefore, working with them is especially important.
There are quite a few options for how you can finish the surface of the walls around the new door, it does not matter if it is an interior or entrance door. According to the material of execution, they are:
Depending on what material the slope will be made of, the installation technique is also different.
Finishing the slopes will help to emphasize the new metal door. Among the most demanded materials:
- a rock;
PVC panels are a modern and inexpensive finishing material with aesthetic appeal and reasonable cost.
In places where the entrance door adjoins the walls, heat leakage occurs, therefore, polyurethane foam is used around the structure. It helps to quickly close gaps and achieve the required tightness.
The panels are easily mounted on the safe-door, and you will need to purchase corners and platbands, if simple plastering is not expected.
Such an element makes it possible, after mounting the structure, to neatly close:
- polyurethane foam;
They can be considered as additional protection against drafts, smell from outside, noise. If you look at it in section, it looks a bit like a sandwich.
The first layer consists of:
Before applying the primer, the surface must be prepared. You can use a brush or roller. Sometimes after applying it, if it is necessary to insulate the opening, polystyrene is laid.
Plaster is the easiest way to finish openings, but you can use drywall, which is applied to a previously applied layer of plaster. Be sure to use a level or beacons, since the surface must be flat.
The use of drywall allows you to qualitatively prepare the opening for further finishing. This is a cheap and lightweight material, most often it is used for the installation of interior doors. The cut sheets create a flat surface without wasting time; experience and patience are required when working with plaster. A layer of plaster is best used on the front door, as the wall surface can be exposed to moisture there, and the drywall cannot withstand it.
Platbands or a corner are installed along the edge, which acts as a reinforcement for further application of putty and grouting. Be sure to apply a finishing primer at the end.
The second layer of the slope is a decorative finish that can be different. Some decide to just paint the surface, while others use ceramic tiles and even natural stone.
Before installing door slopes, it is necessary to prepare the surface. The work consists of several sequential actions:
- locks and handles are removed from the door structure, I close it with a film that is easily attached to a simple adhesive tape, and the floor is covered with ordinary cardboard;
- old plaster is removed with a puncher;
- construction waste is taken out, freeing up space;
- the cracks that appear in plain sight are filled with polyurethane foam, before that, experts advise moisten the surface from a spray bottle with plain water, which improves the adhesion of the material to the surface of the door jamb;
- the foam dries up after 8-12 hours, after which the excess is removed with a knife;
- the surface is treated with antiseptic impregnation;
- if an electric cable is provided, then it is worth laying it at this stage;
- you can start plastering or installing the frame.
It is not easy to make repairs yourself, you just need to study the issue more carefully. If you decide to plaster the slopes, then, in addition to a small container for mortar, it is necessary to prepare a construction mixer. Its use guarantees the absence of lumps and uniformity of the applied composition.
During finishing, you cannot do without a level, the length of which must be at least two meters. Plastering is done with spatulas, one should be narrow, the other wide. The primer is easily applied to the jamb surface with a flat brush.
After preparatory work, the cut edges of the polyurethane foam must be sanded using sandpaper. The use of a primer is indispensable as it provides better adhesion of the plaster to the surface. Experts recommend applying the primer several times, but only after the first layer has completely dried.
Now you can start plastering the surface. The composition is applied in a thick layer starting from the upper slope of the door. The wooden lath will allow you to quickly level and remove excess plaster. A perforated metal profile pressed into the corners helps to reinforce them.
The starter coat must be completely dry before applying the finishing coat, which is necessary to hide minor irregularities.
Laminate, PVC is attached to the frame, for which you must first make a 2x4 cm beam.
The beam is sawn according to the size of the slope, on each part of the doorway, the strips are attached perpendicularly, 4 on the sides and three on top. Nails can be used as a fixing element.
You can beat the corners only if the plastic panels are bent. From the end, their structure is hollow, there is a void along the entire length, so you can easily make cuts. It is very easy to do this with a simple stationery knife. The cut-out modules are attached to the frame by means of self-tapping screws, the bent panels are attached to the wall.
You should work in the following order:
- mark the border of the trim elements;
- 5 holes are drilled in the wall, which in the future will be covered by the finishing panel;
- wooden plugs are driven into the grooves, into which self-tapping screws should be screwed, thus fixing the finishing material on the wall.
Plasterboard as a building material allows you to quickly finish slopes.
- At the first stage, it is necessary to drill holes along the entire surface of the opening, the distance between which should be 20 cm. Dowels are installed in them, where then the screws are not screwed in completely. It is necessary to select the dimensions of the starting rail, which will play the role of a guide. To do this, you need to measure three sides of the opening. The upper guide should be along the width of the opening, since on the sides the sheets of material will abut against the slope from above. The first top rail is screwed to the wall with self-tapping screws.
- At the next stage, a drywall sheet is cut out according to a previously made markup. If you do not follow the technology, then the edges will be torn. Be sure to use a ruler during installation or anything that can replace it. The top layer of paper is cut easily, then the knife is slightly more difficult to plunge into plaster, but you need to ensure that its tip becomes visible from the back side. If an adhesive mixture is used, on which the drywall will be planted on the wall, then it is important to read the instructions well from the manufacturer in order to observe the proportions.
- The glue mass is laid on the reverse side of the sheet of material, the dowels are also coated. The edges of the strip are inserted into the guide, and the drywall itself is pressed against the base. The same should be done on the sides. The excess glue that appears is removed immediately, as it leads to deformation.
- Beacons are necessarily used, which allow you to keep the sheet in an unchanged position. If gaps appear between the sheets, you can use excess glue to fill them. Finishing is possible only in a day.
Slopes from MDF look good. Before starting installation, the surface of the wall must be treated with a lime-cement mixture . After it dries, a primer is applied. Before cutting out the material, you should carefully measure the corners of the joints and cut the corners. If you attach elements to each other, there should be no space between them. The first is the upper part of the opening, on which the adhesive is applied. The sheet is propped up until it is well anchored in place. The side parts are installed second. The corners can be fixed to liquid nails.
If you want to finish the slopes with paint, then depending on the material you need to choose the composition. Previously, the door is removed, impregnation is applied to the tree, if they are varnished, then stain. For other dyes, you can use drying oil.
You can also glue the slopes with any wallpaper, there is no specially created product for this product. The drawing will not look attractive, therefore it is advised to take monophonic ones. The technology consists of several stages:
- next to the doorway, glue a large sheet of wallpaper, which should cover the entrance in size;
- cut it horizontally so that you can completely close the slope;
- using a rag or roller, smooth the material over the surface so that there are no bubbles under it;
- repeat the steps on all sides of the opening.
Wet rooms are finished with stable materials, this also applies to slopes. Stone or ceramic tiles are ideal for embedding. Before installation, the surface must be plastered and leveled. Experts do not advise choosing heavy tiles, since they will not adhere well to the wall. The order of work is as follows:
- the material is cut in accordance with the dimensions of the slope using a glass or tile cutter;
- glue is prepared in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;
- the composition is applied to the surface using a spatula, which helps to evenly distribute it;
- the area of application of the glue should be equal to the area of the tile to be glued;
- the reverse side of the tile is also covered with the composition;
- the material should be slightly pressed to the surface, checking the correct position with a level;
- the second and subsequent tiles are installed with a gap of no more than 3 mm, while it must be free of glue, for this it is best to use beacons.
The composition under the tiles will completely dry out only after 4 days, after which the plastic beacons can be removed, and the free space can be filled with grout.
Door slopes in an apartment are a great opportunity to experiment with design. Be sure to take into account the purpose of the door, that is, it is entrance or interior, the purpose of the room, what material the box is made of in the opening.
Some types of materials are not so easy to mount, skills and experience are required, the availability of tools.
- When using drywall, tiles or wood, before installing the slopes, you will need to correctly measure. Slopes in front of the entrance door should not have free cavities, this will increase the durability and reliability of the cladding.
- Wood paneling or plastic finishes are more attractive than painting surfaces. Drywall allows you to hide all errors. By using this option, you get rid of unnecessary expenses when purchasing the materials needed to level the walls. This method can rightfully be called economical and simple, since you can handle the installation yourself.
- Plastic panels are rarely used to decorate doorways, because the material does not withstand physical impact and breaks even with a slight impact. This option is never reliable and durable. But wood is a durable and reliable material that will serve for a long time. This finish is suitable for different rooms.
- Finishing work should be carried out taking into account the size of the doorway and the materials used. Thermal insulation is necessary as an additional stage of installation for entrance doors, since they must not only be durable, but also not create drafts in the apartment. When working with an entrance door, a lot of attention must be paid to sealing the holes. Most often, for this, polyurethane foam is used, which, after application, expands in volume, thereby filling the entire hole, leaving no free gaps inside. After complete drying, the excess foam can be easily cut off with a simple knife, thus leveling the surface for further decorative finishing.
- The plaster can be used directly on brickwork or on already installed MDF panels. If you have to work with it, it is worthwhile to study in more detail the features of the material and the process of its application, since this is one of the most difficult options for finishing slopes.
- The advantage of perforated corners can hardly be overestimated, since they can significantly reduce the time spent on leveling the surface. The solution falls on them easily, and they themselves are completely hidden from view after applying the plaster.
- It must be remembered that before starting work on finishing the slopes, especially if this is the front door, it is important to close all the gaps. If this is not done, then cold air begins to penetrate into the gaps, which condenses into the wall, wet spots appear on the wall, and subsequently mold, decorative trim falls off.
- Surface preparation is important for plastering walls. The work takes a lot of time, but it is recommended to process the surface in several layers. First, a layer of primer is applied, which improves the adhesion of the plaster to the surface. To achieve a perfectly flat surface, a dowel-secured profile must be applied.
- To make the mortar, you should use cement, sand, lime mortar, you can buy a ready-made mixture. Surface application technology assumes starting work from the slopes of the upper area. First, a thick layer of plaster is applied, after which the excess is removed. To ensure smooth slope angles, it is recommended to use a perforated profile. It is fixed to the surface with the applied plaster mixture. Only then is the finishing layer applied, which should be thin. It helps to eliminate unevenness and roughness.
- If working with MDF panels, the base must be made of lime-cement mortar. After drying, it is applied to a surface previously treated with a primer. The panels should be divided into three sections, each of which corresponds in size to the side of the doorway. A special glue is applied to the surface, then the panel is installed.
The work on the installation of slopes is carried out in a strict sequence, if you skip at least one stage, the end result will only disappoint, and the materials will be wasted.
For information on how to properly trim door slopes, see the following video: