For many years, tile held a leading position among materials for interior finishing work, at the same time, when facing rooms with high humidity, it had no equivalent analogues at all. Despite the fact that operations with this material take a long time, require a technically trained performer and are quite expensive, an alternative was found relatively recently.
The difficult-to-use ceramic tiles have been replaced by inexpensive PVC panels with a lot of useful properties. Polyvinyl chloride has been known for a long time and is actively used in industry, but it has gained popularity in the field of surface cladding not so long ago, due to the modernization of production and improvement of the quality of vinyl panels, including their environmental safety. The product is absolutely competitive and easily occupied the niche of budget repairs.
The use of the material does not require significant costs, the work takes place in a short time and allows you to significantly change the interior without excessive effort.
Features of PVC coating for tiles
For polyvinyl chloride, invented more than a century ago, they could not find practical use for a long time, and only after the Second World War production became widespread. Nowadays, the material is actively used in industry, in particular, for insulating cables, making films, rugs and, of course, windows, doors and cladding panels.
Until a certain point, the use in everyday life was not very popular, there was an opinion that the material is harmful to health. Today the situation has changed dramatically, the production has undergone a complete modernization, and it is safe to say that plastic panels are absolutely harmless. The only situation in which PVC can pose a danger to humans is the release of harmful substances during combustion.
The panels are made up of several layers , the inside is a perforated backing and the outside is a smooth laminate. A special film, resistant to mechanical damage, protects the surface of the product and guarantees, if properly used, up to 10 years of excellent appearance. An innovative approach to drawing a picture allows you to create images of any complexity and texture.
The unique coating has several advantages:
- increased water resistance;
- heat resistance;
- easy to assemble;
- the surface is smooth, does not hold dust and dirt;
- ecological cleanliness;
- a wide range of colors and a choice of textures;
- the ability to implement personal ideas in design;
- masks the imperfection of the walls under the coating;
- does not require technologically complex maintenance;
- perfectly cleanable;
- resists the occurrence of mold and mildew;
- affordable price.
- in the process of combustion, they emit harmful substances that are potentially dangerous to humans;
- with a sharp temperature drop, they are subject to deformation;
- in the first days after installation, a special smell of plastic is emitted, if raw materials of poor quality were used in the manufacture, the smell may persist.
Finishing made of PVC with imitation tiles is different in shape, there are three main types: sheet, square elements and plastic panels.
Plastic panels are characterized by high installation speed. Length 260 - 300 cm. Width from 15 to 50 cm.
A characteristic feature of square panels is the ability to personalize the color layout, you yourself create a unique pattern or ornament. The size of one side is from 30 to 98 cm.
In addition to being fixed on the wall or lathing (depending on the type of construction), the elements are attached to each other with a thorn-groove lock.
Sheet - outwardly similar to plywood sheets , they are called PVC plates. Length 80 - 203 cm, width from 150 to incredible 405 cm. Fastened with glue or nails, the joints are filled with a colorless sealant or covered with a special rail.
The overall parameters of the products are standardized by the manufacturer, their range is very wide. For example, the size of one side can fluctuate by tens of centimeters.
Due to its unique features and a completely affordable price, the material is ideal for significantly and quickly changing the appearance of a room for little money.
The panels, due to their design features, provide excellent heat and sound insulation.
Selection parameters of PVC panels
There are external signs that determine the quality of the coating for the bathroom and kitchen, be sure to pay attention to them.
- Always buy products from the same batch, otherwise you risk getting panels of different colors, which will be very conspicuous. This is a very important point, be sure to check it.
- Examine the panels carefully for external damage and deformation at right angles.
- The panel lock must be strong and at the same time flexible enough. Flexion should not lead to deformation.
- Avoid too cheap coatings, these are recycled plastic products and will not last long.
- The pale yellow color of the panel material indicates a violation of storage conditions (under the open sun) or the use of low-quality dyes.
- An important factor influencing the strength is the distance between the stiffeners (partitions), the optimum being 5 - 10 mm.
- The stock of cladding material should be several m2 larger than the actual size, it is necessary to take into account the inevitable costs of cutting in the corners.
- All dimensions indicated by the manufacturer must be rechecked for compliance with real dimensions, especially if the products are Chinese.
How are tiles mounted?
Before you start attaching the cladding to the wall, consider all the pros and cons of the available mounting methods. Fixing with glue or liquid nails has its drawbacks, if necessary, dismantling the panel will be very problematic.
It is not difficult to fix a covering that imitates tiles on the walls, there are two main ways.
Fixation with glue
It turns out to use this method infrequently, one of the prerequisites for its use is the most even walls, which is already a rarity. For pasting, you need good quality glue, "Moment" is excellent.
The surfaces to be bonded must be clean and dry. The wall is pre-prepared, cleaned of old coating and dirt. The working surface is leveled, the flaws are filled with a solution, the excess is knocked down with a perforator. The wall is sequentially coated twice with a primer, and only after the surface is completely dry can the installation process begin.
Before work, be sure to read the instructions for using the glue and follow it consistently.
Installation of panels under the crate
Fastening the cladding to the frame (lathing) has significant advantages in relation to the fixation method discussed above:
- no need for perfect preparation of the walls;
- design features mask communications, and, if necessary, provide easy access for repair work;
- the crate is easy to assemble yourself.
When choosing a material for the lathing, preference should be given to a metal profile. The structure made of wood is not suitable for long-term operation in rooms with high humidity, the wood deforms over time, and the assembled coating will lose its original appearance.
When assembling, it is worth adhering to certain rules:
- fasten the structure at least once 50 cm;
- the profile is always located perpendicular to the direction in which the finish is going;
- it is better to place the panels vertically, this will help to avoid water penetration at the border of the joints;
- use screws or nails to fix the cladding if you used wooden slats;
- always use additional accessories for finishing - baguettes, skirting boards and the like.
Another curious feature of this finishing material is the ability to change parameters depending on the temperature regime. The dimensions of a three-meter panel change by 1 cm with a temperature difference from -10 to 40 degrees. This property must be taken into account during installation, the panels must be brought into the room in advance and assembled at a temperature below normal. This will make it possible to obtain the most monolithic surface.
Experienced builders recommend temporarily using PVC panels for cladding bathrooms in newly built houses, for the time that the building will need for natural shrinkage, and only then, after 3 to 5 years, select ceramic tiles.
Features of the care of PVC panels
Vinyl flooring is easy to maintain, but needs periodic cleaning and has restrictions on the use of certain chemicals.
What can be washed:
- water and a soft, lint-free cloth, this is enough to successfully combat dust and minor dirt;
- in the case of more severe contamination, special cleaners are used;
- The original brightness and richness of colors will help return a 10% solution of ammonia.
What not to use:
- cleaning agents with abrasive particles, they will damage the surface;
- solvents and degreasing agents, this will destroy the original appearance;
Make it a rule to pre-test on a small, secluded area any product you are going to use.
Modern synthetic polymer demonstrates positive characteristics sufficient to press out the recognized leader in the construction market of finishing materials - ceramic tiles.
The inherent features of PVC panels have allowed the formation of a new philosophy of repair, radically different from everything that has been traditionally for decades.
The democratic price and the absence of the need for the obligatory involvement of a professional craftsman have transferred the repair work using polyvinyl chloride to a completely new level of availability. Renovation has ceased to be a high-budget project requiring colossal investments in materials and salaries of employees. Now this is a process in which anyone who wishes for acceptable means can demonstrate the skills of a designer and realize their fantasies.
The coating is universal and can be used for cladding walls and ceilings , including in rooms with high humidity. Light weight, ease of assembly, minimal waste and almost complete absence of noise make working with plastic an exciting activity available to everyone. The choice of shape, color and different texture of panels will satisfy the needs of the most demanding customer. Thin lilac panels are very popular today.
Professional repair teams are happy to perform cladding with PVC wall plates at prices more interesting than when working with ceramic tiles.
For information on how to install PVC panels with imitation tiles in the bathroom, see the next video.