A balcony is an additional space in the house that can be used for different purposes. One way to increase the usable floor space is to install multiple shelves. You can place everything on them: flowers, old things, do-it-yourself conservation, etc., and also use it as a countertop.
Balcony shelves can be used to solve various tasks, which leads to the appearance of many types of such structures.
Depending on the method of fastening, they can be divided into several categories:
- Removable structures. This type of shelves is installed on special supports. In order for a product to withstand loads, it is made of durable materials (board, metal, etc.).
- Folding shelves. Products are equipped with special fasteners, which allows them to be displaced relative to the vertical. Perfect for small balconies, as they take up little space and are used only when necessary.
- Floor systems. These structures resemble small shelving units that are installed vertically along the wall. Experts recommend installing them in long balconies or loggias.
- Fixed shelves. This model is characterized by the presence of special fasteners that protect the product from displacement. Shelves of this type are most often used for storing heavy products.
- Suspended structures. These shelves are attached directly to the wall, allowing them to be installed anywhere. The size of the products can also be selected depending on the area of the balcony.
In appearance, these products can be divided into several categories:
- Corner shelves fit perfectly into the interior without taking up much space.
- Direct constructions. This type of shelves is the simplest and most common.
- Curly products are used to decorate the balcony. The shape and size can vary depending on the imagination of the designer.
- Closed or open type. Shelves of this type are types of shelving or small cabinets.
- Combined shelves. In their manufacture, several approaches and materials are used, which makes it possible to obtain very interesting solutions.
By design, balcony shelves are divided into the following types:
- Book. Used on warm balconies that have been transformed into a small living room.
- Shoe. The structures are characterized by a low height with a large number of partitions. They allow you to store shoes that you don't wear very often.
- The versatile shelves are practical, allowing you to store anything from cans to fishing tackle.
- Decorative designs. These products are made in the original design, which allows you to decorate the balcony.
Balcony shelves are a versatile attribute that should not only support a lot of weight, but also contain the maximum number of items.
As materials for their manufacture are used:
- Wood. The board is strong and durable, but it needs additional care. Many craftsmen make shelves from lining, which perfectly withstands heavy loads. To protect the surface from destruction, it is advisable to cover wooden shelves with paint and varnish solutions. Please note that using these tools, you can create a unique design for the entire structure.
- Metal. Today on the market you can find shelves, both steel and aluminum. These products are durable and durable. In most cases, only frames are made of metal, to which the shelves themselves are then attached from other materials.
- Plastic. It is durable and relatively cheap, with a unique design that can be matched to any interior. Plastic easily resists various external stimuli.
- Chipboard. The shelves made of this substance are characterized by originality. The strength of the partition depends on its size and the number of fasteners. It is not recommended to make long shelves from chipboard without additional vertical supports - under heavy load, the products will simply break.
- Glass shelves. Only special types of this product are used as the main material, which can withstand significant loads. One of the disadvantages of such shelves is the difficulty of fixing them.
- Combined products. To highlight the shelves, many professionals use multiple materials that they combine together.
Required tools and parts
Balcony shelves are very simple designs that many people often make on their own.
To perform such work, you should stock up on the following tools:
- jigsaw. It is often used only for processing wood or chipboard;
- saw. Depending on the material chosen, you may need a tool, both for wood and metal;
- drill (screwdriver), drills and a set of nozzles. With its help, holes for fasteners are formed or they are directly fixed;
- pencil, ruler, level and other auxiliary devices.
To form shelves, you need to purchase:
- The material from which the shelves will be made. The most common read is a board or laminated chipboard. You can work with them even without special skills. If you want to make an original design, you can use several materials.
- Fasteners. The type of these elements depends on the previously selected material. If you prefer wood, then you will need self-tapping screws, confirmations, plastic or metal corners. For working with metal, you can use bolts, nuts or special screws. Sometimes an iron structure can be simply welded.
Tips from the masters
The shelves on the balcony are not only a unique interior, but also practical designs. Therefore, they must meet the requirements of the owner.
When making shelves, several recommendations should be taken into account:
- It is desirable to make the structures small. But it is important to take into account the dimensions of the items that will be located on them.
- The installed shelves should not obscure the balcony. It is important that they do not cover the windows, while allowing you to comfortably move around the room.
- The material for the shelves must be suitable for the intended load. In this case, it is also advisable to take into account factors such as humidity and temperature differences. It depends on how long the material will last.
- Before starting work, be sure to calculate all the parameters of the shelves, taking into account the dimensions of the balcony. Therefore, experts recommend creating several drawings on which to apply all the specific data.
- The style of the shelves is matched to the design of the balcony. This often involves choosing paint or changing the shape of the structure.
- You need to use only high-quality fasteners. To strengthen the structure, use additional corners to extend the life of the product.
How to do it yourself?
The manufacturing technology of the shelves depends on their type.
Simple suspended structures are obtained in just a few successive stages:
- First of all, you need to cut the base of the shelves themselves from a board or chipboard sheet. Their size and shape depends on your desire. The simplest option would be a regular rectangle.
- After that, two metal corners are screwed to them from one side. Note that the length of one of its sides should be approximately equal to the width of the board. You can purchase such fasteners in a store or make yourself.
- At this stage, the resulting structure is attached directly to the wall. To do this, use screws or dowels. It is important to preliminarily set the surface of the shelf strictly horizontally in order to prevent the objects placed on them from falling.
Several shelves can be formed in this way.
If you want to get a more complex design, then you can first knock down a small box with several horizontal jumpers. Then it is attached in the same way, only using more fasteners.
One of the types of shelves is a rack-like design. Install it in one of the corners of the balcony.
The process of making a rack can be described in several steps:
- Two pairs of racks are formed from 4 wooden blocks. Care should be taken to keep them strictly vertical. All supports are connected to each other by bars using corners or self-tapping screws. Ideally, you should get a kind of box.
- Support strips are attached along the entire length of the beams. They should be located on the same level, since the shelf will rest on them.
- After that, the back of the rack is sheathed with a thin sheet of chipboard or plywood.
- At this stage, the shelves are made according to the specific dimensions of the structure. After that, they are attached to the frame with self-tapping screws.
- The process of painting the product ends.
Using a similar algorithm of work, you can make shelves even from metal. Only for this you will need skills in working with a drill and a welding machine.
Ideas in the interior
When creating shelves, there are practically no restrictions on creativity. Everything from the simplest systems to complex curly structures can be installed on the balcony. Many owners complement the shelves with carvings, and also equip them with lighting.
Suspended structures in the form of small cells look beautiful. At the same time, they do not use rectangular shapes, but adapt them to the general style. Glass shelves will look original, which visually increase the space.