A modern dacha is not just fruit and berry bushes and vegetable beds. Many gardeners make a cozy and beautiful corner from their site, where everything is thought out to the smallest detail, each zone is tastefully decorated and pleasing to the eye. It is pleasant to work and relax in such a dacha. The space can be decorated with plants, flower beds, decorative figures.
A decorative well can become a noticeable element in landscape design.
A decorative well is not a source of water; it serves as a bright and sometimes very original decoration of the site. It all depends on the author's idea, his creative abilities and materials from which the structure is made. In some cases, the well can serve an additional function. For example, some communications will be hidden under it - a well, a storm-well hatch, a container with water for irrigation.
The materials from which the well is built are usually found in every summer resident , therefore it is often chosen as a decorative element that serves as a good addition to the overall picture of landscape design. Often any available means are used. Sometimes it's even surprising that seemingly old unnecessary things got a second life and served as a building material for the implementation of a creative idea.
How to do it?
It is not difficult to build a simple well with your own hands, having previously thought over its design. Step by step instructions will help with this.
For construction work, you will need boards of different sizes, plywood, slats, fasteners, primer, varnish or paint for decorative coating.
Having at hand all the necessary materials and tools, you can keep within a few hours, creating your own bright decorative element that will decorate the site.
- The basis will be a cube made of timber, parts of which can be fastened with screws or corners for furniture.
- The finished structure is sheathed with a block house, fixing the parts with self-tapping screws.
- The boards, which will act as roof racks, are bolted at the bottom and top.
- The frame and the ridge are made of thin timber. The roof is sheathed with clapboard.
- The bucket cylinder can be made from a finished block or made from slats.
- The side of the well is made out using lining.
- After the main work, it remains to process the entire surface with sandpaper.
- It is imperative to cover the finished well with a special primer. It will protect the tree from moisture and insect pests.
- The final touch will be varnishing.
Before starting construction, you need to think about how to fix the structure well.
Depressions of about 30 cm need to be made in the ground. Their number will depend on the shape of the well. The more complex the design, the more indentations you need. Pieces of pipes of such a diameter are dug into these recesses so that wooden posts of the well can be inserted into them.
If a square well is being built, the base will be supported by four posts and two posts will be needed to secure the roof.
All wooden parts are treated with a primer that protects the wood from moisture and mold. Then liquid bitumen must be poured into the recesses. After it is absorbed, the pits are half-filled with cement and pipe cuttings are inserted, cement is poured to the top. It is important that all pipes are level; this can be easily checked with a level. The solution will harden completely after two to three days. And only after that you can insert wooden racks into the pipes. Then you can sheathe the frame with boards, they can be laid horizontally or vertically. With a horizontal arrangement, additional fortifications are not needed, this function is performed by the racks themselves. With vertical - on each side you will need to fix two horizontal slats.
The roof is assembled separately, and then reinforced on the racks intended for it. The roof can be made from different materials. The easiest way is a gable roof made of boards or plywood. Then the well is supplemented with decorative elements - chains, ropes, wheels, buckets, decorative figures. If it is a flower bed, then it remains to fill the earth inside the well and plant flowers.
This is just one way to secure the well. Each master can choose his own version. The main thing is to remember that the structure must be safe and stand firmly on the ground.
A decorative well can be made of any material - concrete, stone, brick. They are not afraid of moisture, weather phenomena. A metal base, tiles, plastic are also suitable.
A well built of the same material as the house will look more advantageous. Then it will look like a good addition to the big picture.
A simple well can be built from a concrete ring. It doesn't even need to be faced with stone. It is enough to cover with cement mortar, and give it a certain relief.
After the cement has dried, it can be painted in any color, and for protection, top it off with a special primer or varnish.
When making a well from wood, you will need the usual set of construction tools: a hacksaw, jigsaw, saw, screwdrivers, hammer.
Before building a well, you need to think about where it will be located, what size, from what materials. In order not to miss anything and do everything right, you need to prepare a drawing, which will show what parts the structure consists of, and what size they will be. The plot diagram will also come in handy to determine where the well will look more harmonious, what will be located next to it - a bench, a gazebo, a flower bed, and other buildings. If the material for making a well is purchased specifically in a hardware store, you need to calculate the amount that will be required.
- The most common option, which can often be found on a personal plot, is a log house. But there are a lot of options that every master, even a beginner, can implement. Among them is a well-crane, in the form of a vase or flower bed with flowers, a mill, a gazebo, a bowl.
- There are options that combine the originality of design and functionality of the structure. In some cases, decorating a real well is also possible. After all, it will be very pleasant to approach such a design in order to collect water. And the materials for such a structure will be provided by nature itself. You will need dry branches, stones of medium size from an ordinary river or sea bank, cement, rope. The lower part consists of stones, which are attached to each other using cement mortar. Further, on four pillars, a roof woven from branches is attached. At the discretion of the owner, you can also make a roof from a block house.
- You can make an original composition, where the center will be a compact wooden well, inside which the soil will be placed and flowers will be planted. It will be complemented by a gable roof and a miniature wooden bucket. Several flower pots of the same color with the same flowers can be placed nearby in a clearing. A beautiful flower garden pleasing to the eye is ready. Flowers can be different, it all depends on the wishes of the owner of the site. Flowers need constant care and watering. Only in this case the well will decorate the site for a long time. In order for its structure to be preserved for a long time, not to undergo destruction and rotting due to constant moisture, all wooden parts must be well treated with a special compound.
- If after construction there is an unnecessary timber left, you can find a worthy use for it. Build a square-shaped well in the form of a house, add some decorative element - a steering wheel, a weather vane, a cart wheel. With such structures, you can well hide well or sewer hatches, which are in a conspicuous place and spoil the appearance of the site.
- The traditional shape of the well can be played up with interesting finishes. An ordinary concrete ring can be faced with decorative stone, choosing a suitable color that will be combined with other components of the landscape design. The base of the roof is made of ordinary boards; tiles or shingles can be used as a decorative overlay. You will get a very beautiful well, it can also be supplemented with flowers.
- If the site is decorated in a retro style, the well can be constructed from any old planks or logs, which will bring it as close as possible to its natural appearance. Over time, when this option gets bored, the same well can be painted in any color - white or bright, for example, blue or green. Complement the area with other elements in the same color scheme or plant flowers around. And now there will be a completely different picture and a new design.
- It is not necessary to build a square-shaped well, it can be made in any shape that can be embodied. It can be in the form of a bucket or barrel, a trough or a cart. The more unusual the design, the more difficult it is to reproduce it in reality. You need to take into account your capabilities so that building a well is a pleasant experience, and not torture.
- An interesting option can be a multi-tiered well, on each tier there can be a certain variety of flowers. The cladding can be made with siding, tiles, stone. At the top is the main bowl, which is revetted with the selected material, then a flower circle is placed around its circumference, then the cladding follows again. Two or three tiers for such a well will be enough.
- The well is made from any available means, even from ordinary wheels. In this case, one is superimposed on another, a color is selected, you can even draw patterns, and make a roof from rods. Any plants can be placed inside. It turns out a suburban decorative well.
Of course, if a gardener or homeowner thinks about the design of the entire site, he will not place just one decorative well there. This will not be entirely clear. The whole point is that the well should become the center of the composition or its addition, depending on its size and purpose.
If the well is a decoration of the garden, then it would be logical to make it the center of the flower garden by placing flowers both in the bowl of the well and around it. Nearby there may be a gazebo for rest and an artificial reservoir with the murmur of water, cozy benches entwined with greenery, paths made of stone or wood, a barbecue area. Garden figurines in the form of animals - ready-made or made by hand, will serve as a good addition.
A composition of several miniature flower beds or wells of different sizes can become a decoration on the site.
Flowers are not required inside the well. At the bottom of the well, you can place a decorative bird feeder and pour grains there. Birds arriving for breakfast will delight in the morning with their chirping.
A decorative well in the country can be used to store things necessary for the household - for example, garden tools, which will be hidden from prying eyes, and order will reign on the site.
Provided that the owner of the house is well acquainted with carpentry, the well can be made a real work of art, decorated with carvings, or carved out as an additional element of a small animal - a squirrel or a chipmunk, as if visiting from the forest. A cute owl or a graceful stork will look wonderful at the edge of the well.
So that the site in spring, summer and autumn pleases with an abundance of colors, you can make the well buried in flowers. For this, the flower bed is made not only in the bowl, but the roof is also involved in this, the vertical posts can also play the role of vertical flower beds. And if you think over a design in the form of shelves or steps, you can get a flower waterfall.
If you do not want excessive variegation, flowers can be planted by matching by color. Then one shade will pass into another.
When the well is located on the territory of a private home, where there is enough space for experiments, the well can be equipped in the style of the entire site. For example, the Japanese style allows you to build a house in the form of a gazebo. And if you fix a flashlight at the top, then such a structure will not only decorate the site, but will also be an additional source of light in the evening, which will add mystery and mystery to the garden.
The well can be designed in the form of a fabulous hut. Then the figurines of fairytale heroes, located nearby in the grass, will be appropriate and will successfully complement the composition.
Starting from scratch is always difficult by connecting all the details. If you don't have enough experience, but you want to make the decoration faster, you can use a ready-made form, which will remain to be revetted with decorative material or simply painted. These can be concrete rings, old tubs, barrels, buckets, crates, car tires, metal containers.
When choosing a well design and decorative components, you need to focus on the materials of other buildings and the design of the entire site, so that everything together looks harmonious and pleasing to the eye.
- Such a design of the well is within the power of everyone. He will decorate any summer cottage. At first glance, it’s even hard to believe that it is made of ordinary car tires and slate pieces. And the composition looks original due to a single color scheme and additions in the form of plants of the same color.
- An interesting composition can be created using a tree as a basis. The decorative well is complemented by a wattle fence and original flower beds made of logs. Alternatively, instead of a wheel located on top, there may be another flower bed inside the well.
- A neat small well, immersed in greenery and flowers, will decorate the site. Different materials were used, but kept in the same color scheme. A basket with flowers will be a good addition.
- A barrel became the basis for a miniature flower bed well. It remains to make the racks and the roof. The composition is completed by pots with flowers installed nearby.
- An interesting well can be made of stone. It looks especially good in combination with a stone clearing and the same bench. All this is associated with the old castle.
How to make a decorative well with your own hands, see the next video.