There is nothing better than spending warm summer evenings with family or friends on your own suburban area. In a beautiful and cozy gazebo, you can fully enjoy nature, fresh air in any weather. But a gazebo for a summer residence is not only a cozy and comfortable place to spend time together in the fresh air. It is able to become a real decoration of the local area and harmoniously fit into its landscape design.
Today there are many building materials for the manufacture of gazebos, but polycarbonate is very popular. Structures made of it are durable, durable and have an attractive appearance.
Despite its external lightness, airiness and transparency, a polycarbonate garden gazebo is a fairly solid and reliable design that has a number of advantages. Its main features are due to the characteristics of polycarbonate.
- Fire safety. Polycarbonate is a low-flammable substance. Even if a fire occurs, the material does not release toxic substances into the air. The temperature at which polycarbonate begins to melt is one hundred and twenty-five degrees Celsius, so you don't have to worry about melting the structure even during the intense summer heat.
- High thermal insulation. The porous structure of the material ensures the retention of heat inside the structure due to the air gap. Therefore, polycarbonate gazebos, which have a heating system, can be used at any time of the year.
- The increased flexibility of the material and its lightness make it possible to make arbors of various shapes and construction from it.
- Long service life. Polycarbonate gazebos will last long enough and will definitely not require repair within 10 years.
- High strength. The gazebo does not deform or collapse even under a thick layer of snow in winter.
- Moisture resistance and waterproof.
- Opacity. The material transmits exclusively light and prevents ultraviolet rays from penetrating into the structure.
- Ease of installation. No foundation is required for the installation of the gazebo. Moreover, the structure is mobile. It can be transferred to any part of the site.
- Stability to low temperature conditions. The structure will not lose its integrity even during severe frosts.
- Safety. The material retains its integrity even in strong gusts of wind, ensuring safe operation.
- Resistant to decay and mildew.
Despite the many advantages of the material, it also has a number of disadvantages:
- the material collapses over time if it is constantly exposed to ultraviolet radiation, therefore it is better to install the structure in the shady part of the site;
- polycarbonate has low abrasion and is prone to scratching, therefore, special care should be taken during work.
Types of structures
First you need to decide on the design, dimensions and functional load of the structure. It can be different.
- By design type, open and closed. The former are perfect for relaxing in warm weather in the fresh air. If you plan to use the gazebo in any weather, then it is better to design a closed building, which will become a reliable shelter from wind and rain.
- By the method of installation, stationary and mobile. The stationary version is installed on a solid foundation, so it cannot be transferred. Portable models are suitable for those who like to often change something on the site, since it will not be difficult to move it.
- The complexity is simple, light sheds and complex structures. It is quick and easy to build an ordinary canopy, without the need for special costs for materials. Complex buildings require more time and money, but at the same time they are not only safer and more durable, but also act as an excellent addition to the overall design of the site.
- According to the level of internal equipment, they can be with or without a barbecue. A simple gazebo is perfect for family teas and dinners with the family. If you are going to receive guests here, then it is better to choose a gazebo with barbecue.
- By the level of functional load, they are divided into models with additional functions and decorative ones.
- In shape, buildings are round, rectangular or square, oval and polygonal, or like a barrel.
When the choice of the type and shape of the gazebo is made, you can proceed to the development of the project.
The beginning of the construction of the gazebo begins with drawing up a project. It is the creation of the right project that is the key to the fact that your building will be durable, beautiful and comfortable. Already at the design stage, it is necessary to think over everything to the smallest detail, so it is worth implementing all your ideas on paper.
Of course, the first thing that should be decided at the initial design stage is the dimensions of the future structure. The drawing should be carried out in compliance with all proportions, taking into account the standard dimensions of the polycarbonate sheet. So, the honeycomb material has a width of 210 cm and a length of 600 cm, and a sheet of monolithic polycarbonate is 205 cm wide and 305 cm long.
Design work takes place in four main stages.
- Determination of the place where the structure will be located.
To do this, you should pay attention to:
- the presence of irregularities at the proposed installation site;
- lack of drafts;
- the presence of bushes, trees, branches in this area or not far from it.
- Cleaning and leveling the area under the gazebo.
- The choice of design in terms of weight, simplicity, dimensions and shape.
- Drawing creation.
In summer suburban areas, simple arbors with a canopy of metal profiles and professional pipes are most often built. If the gazebo is supposed to be used year-round, then the design will be more complex.
All the subtleties of construction should be thought out right away, since the choice of material for the construction of the frame depends on this.
Choosing a place and base material
The material for making the base of a polycarbonate gazebo can be wood, metal or stone. Options with other types of materials are possible, but these three are the most commonly used.
Each of them has both a number of advantages and disadvantages.
- Wooden frames are made from timber. This is quite affordable and inexpensive material. Its indisputable advantage is its environmental friendliness and naturalness. In addition, the wood has a beautiful natural structure. The disadvantages of this design include fragility, instability to weather conditions and the complexity of maintenance.
- The metal base is a frame made of a profile or corner. Such arbors are very durable, reliable, and have a long service life. But they also have their disadvantages: high cost, complexity of assembly, requiring the use of welding.
- Stone frames are made of natural stone, brick, concrete. Stone foundations will serve for a very long time, in addition, they are distinguished by their naturalness and aesthetic appeal. Moreover, they are quite heavy, their construction will take a lot of time, and replacement will create a lot of difficulties.
A polycarbonate gazebo is quite lightweight and can have various dimensions, so almost any ground covering is suitable for its installation.
It is best to choose a flat, dry surface. Ideally, if it will be located somewhat on a hill, so that moisture from precipitation does not collect in the construction area. Choose a shady, draft-free location. It will be convenient if the building is located as close to the house as possible. If there is a pond, then it is good to put a gazebo near it, this will give additional freshness and coolness during the heat of summer.
Having decided on the base material and the place for the structure, you can proceed to its stage-by-stage construction.
The foundation is presented in three types.
- Tape. To create such a foundation, it is necessary to dig a trench, build a formwork with a layer of reinforcement and fill it with concrete mortar. This is the most common and durable type of foundation that is suitable for heavy-weight buildings.
- Columnar. Such a foundation is able to withstand lightweight structures. It is built by digging in pillars that are connected by beams.
- Monolithic. This option is a solid slab. Its base consists of a metal frame filled with concrete.
Installation of a simple, lightweight arbor is possible without a foundation. This option is installed directly on the ground. But for more complex, solid arbors, a foundation is needed, especially in the case when the soil is fragile.
For gazebos made of metal, it is enough just to concrete the supporting metal pipes and fill the site. Wooden gazebos are mounted on a columnar foundation.
It is built in the following sequence:
- the markup is transferred to the site from the design drawing;
- recesses up to 700 millimeters are dug in the designated places;
- a fifty-millimeter layer of rubble and sand is poured onto the bottom of the pits;
- concrete is being prepared;
- supports treated with an anti-corrosion coating are installed in the prepared pits;
- to provide waterproofing to the base, you can additionally wrap some of the posts in the ground with roofing felt;
- the installation of all racks must be carried out at a verified level;
- after the supports are poured with concrete, it is necessary to provide them with a temporary stop so that they do not move until the mortar sets;
The foundation is poured and dry, you can start building the frame.
The manufacture and assembly of the frame is a very crucial stage in the construction of the gazebo. The slightest flaw in the frame can create a problem for further assembly, the sheets of material will be fixed incorrectly, which can lead to the rapid destruction of the building.
The base can be metal, stone or wood.
Depending on the base material, the method of its assembly differs:
- to create a frame made of wood, you will need screws, nails;
- the metal frame base is connected with nuts, bolts and welding;
- for stone structures, cement mortar is required.
It is better to connect the parts on the ground, and install the finished section in place.
An important stage of construction is the assembly of the floor frame:
- it is necessary to install logs from a bar clearly at a horizontal level;
- followed by the installation of additional supports for the roof;
- flooring is made from edged board treated with an anti-corrosion agent;
- floor boards are fastened with self-tapping screws.
When the floor and wall frame are ready, you can start installing the polycarbonate roof.
You can proceed to the stage of installing the roof only if the frame is firmly fixed. Working with polycarbonate is pretty straightforward. The material can be easily cut with a hacksaw, saw or jigsaw, if a circular saw is available, you can use it to speed up the process by placing an aluminum saw blade.
Thanks to this ease of working with the material, the roof can be easily shaped into any shape. It can be single-pitched, gable, have a complex shape, or be presented in the form of an arch.
Single-pitched models are the simplest and lightest version of the gazebo roof. When choosing a complex and intricate design, it is necessary to prepare a more complex frame and add additional metal racks to the upper frame.
In addition, the more complex structure requires additional rigidity, which can be imparted by means of intermediate beams. Therefore, you should choose a design based on your own capabilities and skills.
It is important not to rush to remove the thin protective film from the material, it will protect the surface during sawing and installation from mechanical damage.
The roof is made of cellular polycarbonate with a thickness of 6 or 8 millimeters. Depending on the level of dampness in the room where the material was stored, condensation may collect in its cells, which must be disposed of by blowing. For processing the ends after cutting, a sealant, profile or aluminum tape is used.
When installing the roof , it is forbidden to step on the roofing sheets , as this can lead to its cracking. For ease of installation, a ladder is used. It is necessary to drill holes in the sheets in advance if they are mounted on a metal frame. The sheets are fastened using a profile pipe, rubber washers, screws and silicone sealants to protect the sheet from destruction, and the inside of the gazebo from leaking.
Only after the roof is ready, you can start installing the material on the walls of the gazebo and windows with your own hands. The principle of fixing the sheets to the walls is identical to the principle of fixing on the roof, only it is important to ensure that the stiffeners are in the vertical direction to avoid water concentration.
For information on how to install a polycarbonate gazebo, see the next video.
Interior and exterior design
When the structure is completely ready, it is time for internal and external design and arrangement of a comfortable place to relax. The stage of interior decoration includes the installation of tables, benches, bar counters, an extension of a stone fireplace. The possibilities of interior decoration are almost endless and allow you to realize all your ideas and wishes.
The main thing is choosing the right materials for your interior design. They must fully comply with the conditions in which they will be used. It should be remembered that summer cottages are a street building, therefore, a temperature drop and an increase in humidity are possible here, and, accordingly, furniture and decor must be made of materials that are resistant to such tests. The glazing must be reliable.
In addition, when choosing furniture, pay attention to its convenience and color. The gazebo is a zone of relaxation and comfort, so you should think over everything to the smallest detail. It is better to choose chairs and benches with backs, you can also think of removable soft seat cushions. It is very convenient to relax in nature, sitting in a rocking chair, while it will become a special decorative element in the interior of the gazebo.
Various shelves can be attached to the walls for storing dishes and small items, as well as decorative things such as vases, clocks, which, in addition to being decorative, can carry a functional load.
Particular attention should be paid to the installation of a barbecue or barbecue. Its presence is optional, but if a decision is made to install it, then first of all you need to remember about safety.
Portable options are not suitable for polycarbonate gazebos, since the smoke from the coals will accumulate under the roof of the building. Therefore, you should plan the installation of the barbecue in advance and make it out of stone, brick or metal.
As for external work, they consist in organizing not only the external part of the building, but also the area around it. But still, first of all, you need to do the decoration and decoration of the facade itself. If the gazebo is open, then the supports are covered with paints and varnishes and decorated to your taste.
This is followed by the installation of external lighting in the form of flashlights , the construction of paths leading from the gazebo to other buildings on the site. You can decorate the gazebo with the help of climbing and weaving plants, and nearby flower beds. Many people organize artificial garden fountains near the gazebo, which become not only an additional decoration of the personal plot, but also give a pleasant freshness in hot weather.
All this will add visual appeal to the polycarbonate gazebo and create a cozy, comfortable atmosphere.
As for the care of polycarbonate, it is quite simple. The main thing is to avoid contact of the material with abrasive substances. Also, do not use chlorine-containing substances, salt or alkaline compounds for washing. All this can lead to the destruction of external UV protection. To wash the gazebo, just soapy water is enough.
A polycarbonate gazebo in the courtyard of a private house is an ideal solution for those who wish to have a comfortable and cozy place on their site for quiet family evenings or even lavish feasts with friends. At the same time, the construction of such a structure does not require much time, the presence of special skills and large financial costs. It will be possible to relax comfortably in nature at any time and in any weather. A high-quality building will protect from heat, rain, wind and even snow, and will delight the owners for more than one year.