Red brick buildings have a special magic of attraction. A residential building made of this material, or having a red brick exterior finish, is automatically perceived as prestigious. Such buildings really look very attractive, respectable, and they are being built for centuries.8 pictures
The strength and colossal lifespan of a brick house is just one of its advantages.
- The very material from which the building is erected does not lend itself to frost and high humidity.
- A brick house will not require processing from rust and mold. It is fire safe.
- A comfortable microclimate is maintained in the red brick house in summer and winter.
- Such housing is environmentally safe, since the brick is created from natural raw materials - a mixture of water and clay.
- Various natural components such as limestone or sand allow you to create many shades and textures of the material, which makes it wider to choose from for creating certain design effects.
- Red brick is convenient in construction because it is easy to saw and drill. From it, you can create a wide variety of patterns, columns and arches on the facade, which allows you to emphasize the individuality of the owner of the house.
At the same time, one should not forget about the disadvantages of working with such material.
- When making facing masonry, you need to use bricks from the same batch. Otherwise, the shades of different parts of the house may not match. It will look ugly.
- To build a brick house, you will need to create a solid foundation that can withstand a huge load, since the mass of the building is very large. The device of such a foundation requires serious material investments.
- On red walls, a whitish salt coating often appears, which stands out from the masonry elements themselves. It is difficult to clean it and it is not always possible to achieve one hundred percent result in such a matter. At the same time, the appearance of the house deteriorates.
- There is a lot of poor quality material on the market. As a result, the buildings do not meet the declared service life.
- Cheap red bricks can sometimes vary in size, making the masonry process more difficult.
- Red brick walls require additional insulation as they are not too warm by themselves.
You will learn more about the features of red brick by watching the following video.
Types of material
Any brick factory produces solid and hollow red bricks. Load-bearing walls are created from the solid. Hollow is used in places where it is necessary to reduce the load on the foundation. Unlike a corpulent one, weighing 3.45 kilograms, a hollow one weighs only 2.4.
Red brick also differs depending on the application.
- Facing is used to form the facade.
- Private - to create walls and partitions.
- There is also refractory brick. It is used for laying stoves and chimneys.
Red brick, depending on the clay used for its production, can have shades of apricot, yellow and even whitish.
When dye is added, it turns brown. When decorating the facade with inserts of different colors, the house made of ceramic red brick acquires additional attractiveness.
From factory elements with clear geometry and smoothness of the surface, houses are erected that have an expensive and respectable appearance. But from handmade bricks, you can create very solid semi-antique buildings, which, due to small irregularities on the surface of the building material, also look very representative, mysterious and cozy.
Red brick allows you to decorate houses in a wide variety of styles.
- The classic does not go out of fashion. Here you will not find a combination of centuries-old brick with modern materials. A house of representative red in the right proportions will be an indicator of the homeowners' commitment to traditional values.
- English-style houses with large square or rectangular windows, a high roof topped with a stone chimney and decorated with red tiles are still interesting .
- A castle-style house with round turrets, a slightly chipped brick facade and thick walls will help you stand out against the background of other buildings .
- Red brick goes well with Gothic motives - majestic vaults, towers and large windows. A house in this style will be appreciated by romantic natures.
One-story and two-story red brick houses can be found everywhere. These are really comfortable options for family living.
A two-story house with a bay window or decorated with columns looks wonderful. A red brick house with a terrace or veranda, complemented by an attic, is also very attractive and functional in appearance.
There are options for houses with a garage, which is designed so as not to contradict the general style of the house.
Red brick gives a building in any of the architectural options a special nobility. And this simplifies the task of decorating the exterior.
Colors and decor
The range of red brick houses is diverse. Houses with white seams that emphasize the geometry of the brick are considered an indicator of style and taste. With the contrast of white and red, even a blank wall does not look boring. A house with white plastic windows with such a facade will be charming.
The combination of certain shades of red and brown corners of the house perfectly emphasizes its architectural merits. The combination with yellow brick inserts also looks good.
Of great importance in the design of a red-brick house is the choice of color and material for the roof. The best option is to use metal tiles. This is a durable, not too expensive and beautiful coating. In combination with red walls, consonant orange, burgundy or cherry shades are often chosen.
A red house with a contrasting color, like a green roof, can also look great. The combination of red walls and brown roof is classic. Externally, the house looks very cozy and calm.
But a roof made of copper sheet will give such a building the appearance of a real palace, although the price of the house will be appropriate.
How to build it yourself?
In order to independently build solid private red brick houses, you need to have the skills to work with this material. It won't be easy for a beginner to get the job done.
To fasten the masonry elements together, it is necessary to prepare a solution. Such solutions can be simple or complex depending on the components that are included in them. You can knead a composition of cement and sand (ratio 1: 4).
During construction in harsh climatic conditions, to make the composition more resistant to frost, plasticizers are introduced into it, which are offered on the market in liquid or powder form.
The brick is laid out in horizontal rows flat. Sometimes it is placed on the edge. In the course of construction, the seams must be tied in a special way, that is, the constituent walls are laid in relation to each other in one way or another. The dressing can be multi-row and single-row. The dimensions of the seams for any method remain within 8-10 millimeters.
There are several elements of brickwork. The narrow and long side of the brick is called a spoon, and the short end is called a poke.
The spoon row is a line of bricks, with a long part located along the wall being built. In the butt row, the bricks are laid to the outside with their ends.
The last row of bricks in the wall is called a verst. Moreover, those facing the front side - the outside, and on the inside - the inside.
The design may include forgetting - that part of the masonry that is located between the inner and outer versts. In the course of work, the brick can be laid out in the press, in the filling and in the half-filling.
For laying bricks in a press, a solution of increased rigidity is used. Using a trowel, the mortar is scooped up to the laid brick, then removing the excess. This technique is used primarily in the formation of front masonry, when additional plastering is not expected.
To lay a brick in a screed, you need a more liquid solution. A pair of bricks are laid side by side and pressed into the mortar. Along with this, vertical and horizontal seams appear. This is how heath masonry is performed. Upon completion of the work, the wall is plastered.
To form a zabutka, they use the half-line masonry method. The brick is laid out one by one. Along the way, half-filled vertical seams are formed, which can be finally filled with mortar when the next bonding layer is applied.
Spectacular examples for inspiration
Beautiful designs of red brick buildings inspire to implement your own idea of building a residential building. A building with a contrast between the color of the wall, white windows and green roof is the best example. Behind a wrought-iron fence with brick supports and surrounded by a wonderful well-kept courtyard, such a house looks just fine.
A residential red-brick house under a brown roof, located behind a blank brick wall decorated with forging to match, looks respectable and calm. The unusual shape of the roof and the white arched windows contrasting with the color of the walls make the facade of the house dynamic.
The combination of bright bricks and panoramic glazing looks very modern. At the same time, the building miraculously retains its classic shape.
Red brick makes it possible to bring to life even very complex and unusual architectural solutions. Thanks to the bizarre combination of building elements, the intricate shape of the roof and windows, hinting at the Gothic, you can create a building with a special spirit that will enchant you with its appearance.