Modern stores offer a wide variety of lining options for every taste and budget. But even a few decades ago it was difficult to imagine that this finishing board, which was used only for the inner lining of cars, will not lose its significance today. Unfortunately, many people are skeptical and even biased about this material. Everyone is accustomed to believing that it can only be used to decorate country houses, and in apartments it is only suitable for facing loggias, storage rooms and other utility rooms.
This article will dispel myths about the limited stylistic possibilities of lining and show all the benefits of using it.
Lining or cladding is a truly interesting material. Thanks to its good moisture resistance and excellent heat-saving properties, it becomes an excellent way to create a durable interior and literally a warm atmosphere at home.
In addition, lining is a "hassle-free option" for finishing a room , because it does not need to be prepared in advance for the walls, and due to its lightness, installation is quick enough. Moreover, this type of board itself perfectly disguises any irregularities and even helps to hide the wiring, and this is often a difficult question for any country house.
The color possibilities of the material are also worth mentioning. If you are tired of the current color of the walls, one can of paint - and you have an updated interior of the desired color. Painting of this finishing material is quick and easy.
It should also be noted the variety of types of lining.
Solid wood lining (ash, aspen, beech and others)
It is subdivided into classes from the highest "0" (board without a single knot or speck) to the lowest "C" (natural irregularities are possible), which undoubtedly affects the cost of the material. Nevertheless, all types of wood paneling are used in the interior to create a wide variety of styles. After all, any, even the cheapest board can be successfully decorated and painted over.
The advantages of this type of lining include its environmental friendliness, pleasant woody aroma, and durability. The only drawback can be considered the need to update the color, which in certain conditions can be regarded as an opportunity to update the interior.
Such lining is also made of wood, but unlike the first type, it is obtained by gluing chips without adding impurities.
MDF is cheaper than solid wood paneling, but at the same time it does not lose its natural appeal. The dense texture of the material and easy maintenance are especially captivating. But with such a clapboard, you need to beware of excessive moisture.
It is extruded from PVC granules. In terms of its properties, it resembles wood, except for its texture. But plastic lining does not seek to replace the two previous types. Its main advantages are low price, ease and simplicity of installation.
It is worth saying a few words about the variety of forms of the sheathing board.
Let's list the most common:
- eurolining - a smooth board made of valuable wood species;
- block house resembling a log masonry;
- "American", which is an imitation of overlapping boards.
The lining is perfectly applicable for decorating both a country house and an apartment. Moreover, it can decorate not only walls, but also ceilings. A special color can be achieved in an original way of laying, because the lining provides a wide scope for imagination.
It is worth noting that this cladding board perfectly coexists in the interior with various materials , which is the best suited for creating a certain design of rooms in the house. The lining will look most impressive with leather, ceramics, rough fabrics, as well as with plastic, metal and glass interior details.
In addition to excellent stylistic compatibility, the lining perfectly copes with the solution of spatial problems of the room. It is enough to lay the board in a certain way - and you have already achieved the desired effect.
There are several common ways of arranging boards on walls or ceilings.
- Longitudinal or transverse. The preferred method of laying the lining by many horizontally or vertically. The first method will expand the room well, and the second will help to visually raise the ceilings. But it is worth considering that when using this method around the entire perimeter of the room, an undesirable association with the dressing room may arise.
- Diagonal. Placing the board at a certain angle on a wall or ceiling will add dynamics to the room, but also make you work hard.
- Mixing textures , for example, decorating the bottom of the wall with clapboard, and the top with wallpaper. An inexpensive option and at the same time unusual. To prevent the transition from a ribbed surface to a smooth one from looking messy, it is recommended to use moldings.
- Drawing creation. The process of laying "Christmas trees", "checkers" and "bricks" is quite expensive and painstaking, but the result will please you.
- Alternation of boards of different thicknesses , painted in the same color, but of different intensities. This interior looks fresh and very original.
- The use of lining only on a fragment of the wall. If you decorate such a space, for example, with family photos, you get a great accent in the interior.
So you've decided to use clapboard to decorate your home and want great results.
Then the following designer tips will come in handy:
- a combination of light lacquered and matte lining for wall and shelf decor will expand the room and make it more airy;
- it is necessary to paint the board before attaching it to the desired surface, and it is better not to apply color with a brush, but to rub it with your hands;
- Due to its fire resistance, this material perfectly transfers work with a blowtorch: such panels are reliable, like brick, use it to create an unusual pattern, and later fix the result with oil paint.
Lining manufacturers keep up with the times and offer a variety of shades of materials, so anyone, even the most sophisticated connoisseur, will find a color to his liking. Nevertheless, the choice of color must be approached in detail so that the future interior is fully sustained in the chosen style.
Preferring the golden-honey tint of natural wood, keep in mind the fact that excessive use of this color makes the interior heavier and makes the room look like a sauna. To avoid this undesirable effect, and at the same time make the atmosphere of the room warm and inviting to rest, add any contrasting colors to the atmosphere - blue, green, burgundy, cream. And it is also recommended to use a matte finish. It meets fashion trends and gives the interior a sophisticated look.
The chocolate shades of the lining look great in the interior in the form of bright strokes. All light tones are well suited to such colors. To prevent the decoration of the room from being overloaded stylistically, add dark boards only to one of the walls, and support the chosen shade of wood with accessories.
The currently fashionable tendency to paint all walls covered with clapboard white necessarily presupposes the presence of clearly consistent color elements in the interior. To prevent the room from turning out to be cold and uncomfortable, add details and furniture in burgundy, pistachio, terracotta and other soothing colors.
The use of several tones of paint of the same color range in combination with natural wood looks quite organic . For example, the blue and white colors of the ceiling and walls, supported by two colors of wood, will create an unusually pleasant atmosphere for a child's room.
As we can see, there are a lot of color options. You just need to decide what you like - a colored lining or, for example, a lightened one.
Subject to certain rules, the lining will perfectly fit into almost any interior style.
Many popular modern styles use clapboard in the interior.
- Country. To emphasize the soulfulness and originality of this trend, give preference to the "landhouse" profile boards with characteristic decorative grooves.
- Ecostyle. This style is characterized by the use of natural materials. Complement the interior with leather, stone, lots of greenery - and the resulting interior decoration will delight you with its atmosphere.
- Provence. For the interior to achieve its stylistic goal, varnish the lining. The exquisite shine of the wood will evoke pleasant associations with the sunny coast of France.
- Vintage. The lining is the best support for the "antique" decor. For even greater effect, you can use brushing one of the walls.
- Scandinavian. It is characterized by wood planks, painted white and complemented by details in soothing colors.
- Rustic and other ethnic groups. Used whitewashed and aged clapboard made of ash, pine and oak.
- Modern. The lining, painted in gray and silver, is perfect. It will not contradict the urban design direction and will become a smart fashionable solution.
- Shabby chic. Walls upholstered with wood will effectively set off the aged interior items.
- Loft. For this style, give preference to the "American" lining, which will favorably emphasize the "roughness" of the industrial style.
Scope of application
As mentioned above, finishing board is a universal material. Therefore, we can safely say that it can be effectively used in absolutely any room.
In addition to decorating hallways and balconies, which immediately come to mind at the mention of the word "lining", this board can become your lifesaver when decorating living rooms, for example, a living room.
For the bedroom, the lining looks most advantageous behind the head of the bed , and the design options can be limited only by your imagination. It can be painting on wood, and a "fence", and a three-dimensional drawing.
For a bathroom, use a light lining as a background and a dark one to create contrasting strokes is perfect.
An unexpectedly great potential is revealed by this material in the design of the kitchen. If you want to distinguish between the workspace and the dining area, decorate the walls of the dining area with clapboard, which will overlap in color with the kitchen furniture and thereby create a stylistic whole with it.
In the kitchen, not only walls, but also the ceiling can be decorated with clapboard. But in this case, it is necessary to abandon the wooden look, otherwise there will be difficulties in maintaining its purity. In this room, partial decoration is acceptable, only one wall can be clapboard.
These are just some of the many options for using lining inside residential premises. In the country, this option looks very stylish. Any room can be decorated.
Beautiful examples in the interior
The use of lining for wall decor behind the headboard always adds a touch of romance and unique flavor to the bedroom. And the muted tones of the interior, coupled with the chocolate shade of the board, are favorably set off by contrasting white details.
The combination of multidirectional lining of calm shades and light furniture makes the children's room harmonious, cozy, but at the same time cheerful. Such a color scheme does not excite the child, but, on the contrary, sets him up for relaxation and calm play.
If necessary, the lining of a natural honey color can be diluted with light details - furniture, curtains or accessories. This allows you to take a fresh look at such a familiar use of a solid-colored board around the entire perimeter of the room.
As we managed to see, such a familiar material as lining gives a wide scope for creativity. This will allow you to make a truly original design of any room. And the excellent natural properties of the board will help add warmth and comfort to your home.
For how to do the clapboard wall cladding with your own hands, see the next video.