The living room is the most functional room in the house. It is here that people meet with family and friends, relax after a hard day with their families, practice their favorite hobby or just watch TV. Everything here should be perfect and thought out to the smallest detail, from the color of the walls to the design of the furniture. Living room lighting should cover the entire spectrum - from bright light to dim. It is worthwhile to understand in more detail the secrets and rules of organizing light in the living room, with ideas, photos and original options.
Room lighting rules
Proper lighting requires a plan, in which it is necessary to indicate all furniture and appliances in order to determine the placement of the wiring. It is important to remember the compatibility of various elements in the interior. You can't create beautiful lighting without creativity.
How to organize lighting in the hall:
- The basic rule of lighting a room is that one lamp in the living room is indispensable. Most often, central ceiling lighting is used in the interior of the living room. This is the most common and simplest option that has remained relevant for many years. But even with the most luxurious chandelier, the corners of the room remain without light.
- In any room there should be a main place that needs to be highlighted with light. This could be a sofa, dining table, or artwork.
- For the living room, it is better to choose lamps with soft light , it is they who create a cozy and harmonious atmosphere.
- Do not place spotlights in the same row; each part of the room should have its own background lighting.
- The living room should be illuminated in separate zones - with the help of local lamps and appliances.
- With the right lighting approach, you can hide some room imperfections.
Designers divide lighting into several types. The background or ceiling plays the role of the main light source that illuminates the entire room. For this, a chandelier or small lamps are used. Other accessories can be combined with ceiling lighting. For example, an electric fireplace will perfectly fit into the interior of a large spacious living room, it will play the role of additional lighting.
Wall lighting will dilute the interior. A flickering backlight can be used for this.
Spotlights with vertical, horizontal or diagonal luminous flux are installed on the wall or on the ceiling, singly or in a group. They can act as the main lighting. Spot lighting differs from background lighting by the ability to rotate - depending on the task. Some models can be adjusted in brightness and intensity.
Decorative lighting allows you to create accents in the living room interior. It only serves to highlight some details. "Playing" with light is not very easy, but interesting. Decorative lighting can be used:
- in the niches of the walls;
- for individual parts - for example, figurines, decorative items, awards or cups;
- for pictures and photo frames;
- for aquarium.
For large living rooms with a fireplace, luxurious candlestick-shaped table lamps are suitable.
It is very useful to install dimmers to adjust the power of the light, so that depending on the time of day and mood, you can change the level from dim to bright.
It is necessary to plan the lighting of the living room at the initial design stage. However, such a moment is not excluded when, some time after the repair, it turns out that it is necessary to additionally add or remove extra light sources. So don't be afraid to combine multiple lighting options and use different appliances in the same living room. The main thing is that the lamp or sconce give the right amount of light and complement the style of the room.
When choosing appliances for the living room, focus on the style of the room's interior, individual preferences and the area of the room. Each style has its own appliances that will emphasize the uniqueness of the modern, Provence or Art Deco living room.
- For high-tech style, LED ceiling spotlights with a shiny surface are great.
- For a classic style, a crystal chandelier with decorative candle lamps is suitable. Beautiful wall lamps and a floor lamp with an elegant shade will emphasize and complement the restrained, rather austere interior.
- For a trendy loft style , rough and original fixtures will do. Preference is given to models made of glass, plastic, wood and metal. Luminaires should be designed in the style of a production facility.
- Intricate chandeliers and lamps of unusual shapes and rich colors are suitable for the Art Nouveau style . Original geometric lines and bold solutions will emphasize the individuality of the living room.
Interior design options
Comfort will depend on the lighting. Modern designers have long abandoned massive single chandeliers in the living room interior. Spotlights with stretch ceilings replaced them. A living room without a chandelier visually seems larger. Small individual lamps or floor lamps make rooms cozier and help divide rooms into functional areas.
How to decorate a living room without a chandelier:
- Place spotlights around the entire perimeter of the room.
- Give preference to LED lamps, they last longer, save electricity and illuminate a large area.
- The LED strip will help decorate the living room and create the illusion of a floating ceiling.
- For each area that needs additional lighting (for example, a chair for reading books), choose floor or wall sconces and floor lamps. They look very harmonious with ceiling lights.
- Explore all options for appliances and portable lamps. To create a cozy atmosphere, additional lighting can replace the main one - ceiling.
- It is quite difficult to choose a chandelier for a stretch ceiling, which cannot be said about spotlights. The variety of shapes and levels of lighting allows you to find the right option for any living room.
For a living room divided into zones, it is necessary to consider local lighting for each place. Diversifying the interior, emphasizing and adding coziness - these are the goals that additional devices can achieve.
Chandeliers are a traditional and well-known option for lighting a room. An appropriate option for a classic style, but such a device does not fit into modern styles - hi-tech, loft or minimalism. With the help of a chandelier, you can successfully zone the living room in one simple trick. To divide the room into parts or visually move the center of the living room, it is enough to place the chandelier at the desired point. The second part of the room can be decorated using other lighting methods.
The desk lamp will indicate the work area. You just need to choose the right model - with a certain level of lighting. Openwork or austere laconic lamp - the choice depends on your preferences and the style of the room. The undoubted plus of additional devices is their mobility. It will be very easy to move or change the lamp.
For a cozy corner in the seating area or a large sofa for guests, a floor lamp with soft light is suitable, under which you can read books and magazines or embroider.
Pendant lamps in modern design have replaced the classic chandeliers. Modern models have a variety of designs, they are presented in a wide range. Such lighting is appropriate for the dining area, in the living room.
The main thing with local lighting is not to overdo it with devices. A large amount of light is permissible only in a large room, and for a small living room, it is enough to combine ceiling lighting and a floor lamp.
How to choose and place the luminaires correctly?
When it comes to a small living room with low ceilings, it is better to abandon the chandelier in favor of spot lighting. The combination with a floor lamp in the corner of the room will visually expand the area. If you still do not want to give up a beautiful chandelier, then choose not very weighty and bulky models. A suitable option is 40-60 cm.
For single ceiling luminaires, the ceiling must be lowered a few centimeters to hide the wires and appliances. There are models on the market that are mounted directly into the ceiling and do not take away the height. Such overhead lamps will perfectly fit into the modern minimalism, hi-tech or loft style. The height is 8-10 cm.
A crystal chandelier will look great in a large room - both in modern and classic interiors. Refracting the light and "playing" with colored reflections on the walls and ceiling, the chandelier will also perform a decorative function - both in the evening and during the day. However, you can get by with spotlights on the ceiling. They will need to be placed after 80 cm (above the required zones).
Owners of long rooms need to decide in advance where and how the pieces of furniture will be placed. You should not place a chandelier directly above the sofa, this option will cause discomfort. It is better to place the ceiling lamp to the right or left of the recreation and reception area.
At the same time, a hanging chandelier should be placed where people do not go very often. Therefore, it is better to choose several lighting fixtures for each separate zone so that there are no dark corners in the living room.
Basic recommendations for choosing lamps for the living room:
- Living room lighting should be close to natural.
- The sitting area in the living room, where there is a sofa or a large armchair, can be supplemented with a floor lamp with soft dim lighting. Give preference to models with high legs and the ability to adjust the rotation. A light shade will add more light, while a dark shade will reduce it.
- It is better to place a long chandelier not over an empty living area, but over a table, side tables or other pieces of furniture. The higher the ceiling, the larger the model you can afford.
- Wall lamps and sconces perform the following main tasks: create new light sources and save usable room area.
- Floor lighting looks very impressive in the living room , but before installing the lamps, make sure the design of the room is accurate. After installing the fixtures, it will be problematic to change their position or place.
- Dim lamps with soft light are suitable for decorative lighting. It is important not to overdo it with backlighting. For the living room, it is enough to highlight a maximum of five interior elements with decorative light.
- The formula for choosing the diameter of the chandelier will make the task easier. To do this, you need to determine the length and width of the living room. For example, the length is 6 m, and the width is 5 m. The sum of the two numbers is multiplied by 10. So we get 5 + 6 = 11 × 10 = 110 cm - this is the optimal diameter of the chandelier for a given area.
- For a narrow and long room, you can choose two identical lamps and place them above each zone. This way you can achieve uniform lighting in the living room.
- Another important tip: don't choose the same fixtures for different rooms. Give preference only to those models that are combined with the style of a particular room.
Beautiful interior design ideas
- Lamps with descending or ascending light look original and interesting in an apartment.
- Examples with additional lighting are very original. You can decorate shelves, paintings or photo frames on the walls. At the same time, the lamps will not only provide a light composition, but also fill the living room with light.
- The LED strip helps to create a unique interior with a decorative illuminated sofa, wall, floor or skirting board.
- A large, beautiful chandelier with decorative candle-shaped lamps creates a fabulous setting in a classic-style living room.
- An original ceiling lamp for a small living room.
- A rough chandelier perfectly complements the brutal interior.
- A wonderful choice of lamps for a bright living room.
- A chandelier on long pendants with many bulbs illuminates and decorates the living room.
For even more living room lighting ideas, see the next video.