The roaster is a popular household appliance and successfully combines the functions of an oven, microwave, bread maker and toaster. Its main difference from the listed devices is its miniature size, which makes it easy to place it in the interior of the smallest kitchen.
What it is?
The roaster is a compact household appliance, for the manufacture of which heat-resistant ceramics or stainless steel are used. The inner surface of the device is covered with a non-stick coating, exactly the same as that of its full-size counterparts. In their shape, the roasters can be square, rectangular and truncated, and some specialized models even have a round design.
By the type of power supply, the roasters are electrical appliances and operate on a 220 V network. The number of heating elements varies depending on the purpose of the model and can be from 1 to 4. However, more often the devices are equipped with two heating elements, one of which is located in the upper part of the working chamber. and the second at the bottom.
The scope of application of roasters is quite extensive. The mini oven is used to evenly heat food, including first and second courses, defrost meat and chicken, prepare sandwiches, grill meat and roast coffee beans. Roasters can be used to prepare scrambled eggs, omelets, hot sandwiches, pies, muffins and pizzas, as well as casseroles, julienne, lasagna and vegetable dishes.
The principle of operation of the roaster is not much different from the principle of operation of the oven and consists in the operation of heating elements, which heat the air of the working chamber to the desired temperature, thereby ensuring the cooking process.
The heating range is from +60 to +290 degrees and depends on the model. Most roasters are equipped with a timer that turns off the heating elements after a specified time. The power of the devices depends on their functionality and varies from 650 W for models intended for heating ready meals, and up to 2000 W for units used for cooking.
Almost all products are equipped with a thermostat that allows maintaining the set temperature inside the device. The most modern and expensive models are additionally equipped with fans that create a convector effect and contribute to a more uniform baking of products.
Many appliances have a spit and are capable of working on the principle of an electric grill. Unlike built-in ovens, roasters are completely mobile and can be taken with you to a country house or rearranged to a new place.
In addition, the devices have an automatic shutdown function, light and sound indication of the start and end of cooking, as well as a delayed start option and a frying mode that allows you to get a crispy crust.
Some models additionally have a self-cleaning option and a touch panel.
Design and equipment
By their design, the roasters consist of a robust body with electric or quartz heaters of different power located inside. The devices are equipped with a hermetically closed door, which has both transparent and closed versions, depending on the model. For more expensive models, the door is made of heat-resistant glass and has anti-thermal spraying, which prevents burns if accidentally touched. The internal chamber of the devices is made of stainless steel and is often coated with a bioceramic compound.
The control of the units can be mechanical and carried out using buttons and switches, or electronic with a built-in touch screen. Models used for baking are equipped with baking trays and tins, and sandwich makers are equipped with removable metal racks for making hot sandwiches and toasts. In addition, many appliances are equipped with a drip tray for fat and juices that form during cooking.
The safety of the roasters is ensured by overheating protection, which instantly turns off the unit in the event of any force majeure circumstances.
An important design feature is the orientation of the device in space. On this basis, the following types of models are distinguished:
- vertical - are considered the most convenient and are often used for cooking kebabs, shawarma or grilled chicken;
- horizontal - more suitable for cooking hot sandwiches and sandwiches.
The basic set of roasters usually includes a removable steel rack, one or two metal baking trays equipped with sides of different heights and a tray. However, the set of devices differs significantly depending on the model and can be additionally equipped with a dish, a stand for cooking poultry, a grill spit and a tray for crumbs, which is essential for cooking toast.
The modern home appliance market presents roasters of several varieties, differing in purpose, design and cost.
- Roasters for roasting coffee beans are radically different from their counterparts. They include a robust housing, heating element, bean drum, waste tray and timer. The devices have a hole for taking a sample and are equipped with electronic control with the possibility of programming the operating mode. Domestic models are capable of roasting up to 60 g of coffee beans at a time, while more powerful samples are designed for 750 g. The degree of roasting in industrial devices can be adjusted, while in domestic models it is clearly fixed and corresponds to the average indicator.
- Sandwich roasters are designed for making hot sandwiches, omelettes, and open and closed sandwiches. All elements of the inner chamber are non-stick coated, which greatly simplifies use and facilitates maintenance. This type of roasters is represented by compact devices that easily fit in the corner of the cutting table or on the windowsill. This type of device also includes waffle roaster, capable of making sandwiches in addition to waffles. There are also open models, with one side for toasting and the other for heating food.
- Mini ovens are also classified as roters. They are a smaller version of the oven and look like a microwave oven. The model door always has a transparent design, which allows you to observe the preparation of dishes without opening it. Some models are additionally equipped with an electric grill. The control of the units is represented by mechanical burners, buttons or a touch panel.
Roasters are available in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. So, for making sandwiches and toasts, small five-liter models are well suited, while for baking large portions of fish or meat, a device with a volume of at least 14 liters is needed.
The smallest of the entire family of roasters are mini-ovens with a volume of 35 liters.
How is it different from an electric oven?
Despite the fact that the roaster and the oven have a lot in common, there are certainly differences between them. First of all, these are dimensions and installation method. So, if the arrangement of a separate place is required to place an electric furnace, then a small corner on the table will be enough for the roaster. In a spacious kitchen, this property is not so important, but in small spaces, where every centimeter is valued, it is considered one of the most significant.
And if the roaster differs from an electric oven only in size, then, for example, from a microwave oven - in the principle of thermal effect on food. So, in the microwave, heating is carried out due to the action of high-frequency magnetic radiation, while in the roaster, heating elements are busy with hot processing of products.
If we compare the functionality of a microwave oven and a roaster, then the microwave wins noticeably. In it you can fry, stew, bake, reheat, defrost and even boil soup, while the roaster has a slightly more modest capacity.
A roaster is often compared to a toaster. Moreover, many consumers do not understand the difference between these devices. The difference lies in the fact that the range of possibilities of the toaster is limited to heating and browning the bread, while the roaster is capable of performing many operations, from frying sausages to baking fish.
The modern market for household electrical appliances presents a huge number of different models of roasters. Among them there are both multifunctional units of well-known brands, and very simple samples with a minimum number of options. Below is an overview of the models that are on the first lines of the popularity rating of online stores and have a large number of positive reviews.
- The model for making sandwiches Sakura SA-7414 has a power of 0.7 kW and has a mechanical control type. The inner surfaces of the device are coated with non-stick dust, the body is made in black and has a metal-plastic design. You can make 4 servings of sandwiches in the roaster at the same time. The cost of the device is 1,119 rubles.
- The Moulinex SM 155 D 32 is available in white and has an output of 0.7 kW. The appliance is equipped with a mechanical control and is equipped with a removable panel for making sandwiches, an electric grill and a device for baking Belgian and Viennese waffles. The unit is equipped with a section for storing the cord, it is produced in dimensions of 30.5x17.3x29.7 cm, weighs 2.3 kg and costs 3,599 rubles.
- A good representative of industrial roasters is the Hatco TF-2005 mini-oven, which is produced by the American company of the same name and has a very wide range of possibilities. The appliance can be used to melt cheese and toppings, prepare French onion and other soups, brown Mexican dishes, bake potatoes in their skins, toast bread, make sandwiches, and heat and defrost food. Unlike a conventional convection oven, the roaster browns food more quickly, and unlike a microwave oven, it does not cause food to become damp. The model is produced in dimensions 35.5x49.9x23.1 cm, weighs 25 kg and costs 186,000 rubles.
The device is often used in fast food outlets and small cafes.
- The Smile RS 3631 (3 in 1) model is very popular with housewives. The unit is equipped with three types of removable panels designed for making waffles, donuts and nuts. The device is equipped with indicators of heating and operation, is characterized by quick and easy plate change and is covered with non-stick enamel inside. The legs-stands have a rubberized design and make the use of the device safer. The roaster is complete with a book of recipes that can be prepared with it. The power of the device is 0.75 kW, the price is 2,490 rubles.
- The electric roaster WCR-850W for roasting coffee operates on a 220 V power supply and is equipped with a container for beans with a capacity of 750 g. Thanks to the power regulator, beans can be roasted to any degree, taking into account the personal preferences of the cook. The appliance quickly heats up to the set temperature and is equipped with a non-stick coating. The body of the model is made of aluminum and has a radius of 17 cm. The power of the roaster is 0.8 kW, weight - 3.75 kg, cost - 5,200 rubles.
How to choose?
When choosing a roaster, you must focus on the number of functions and the power of the device. If the product is purchased for making toasts and sandwiches, and the house already has a microwave and an electric oven, then it would be better to stop at a compact specialized model and not purchase a multifunctional unit that will duplicate the functions of other household appliances. The next selection criterion should be the size of the device. For small kitchens that lack a microwave and oven, you can buy a multifunctional compact roaster made on the principle of a mini-oven. This will eliminate the need to purchase these appliances and save space in the kitchen.
Roasters are very often purchased in small offices, where they are used to warm up meals for employees. In such cases, it is recommended to build on the power consumption of the models and choose more economical devices.
This is due to the high intensity of their use, especially in a large team, which can lead to significant waste of electricity. Therefore, for offices and departments with a shared kitchen, it is better to buy low-power appliances, but with a large work resource.
Instructions for use
In order for the roaster to serve as long as possible, and its operation was convenient and comfortable, you must follow a number of simple recommendations.
- After each use, the appliance must be cleaned of grease, crumbs and food debris. Otherwise, if you reuse a dirty machine, you may get rancid odor.
- Before you start washing the roaster, you should unplug it and let it cool down. Then you need to carefully remove the baking sheet and wire rack, wash them in warm water and liquid detergent.
- Further, it is required to wipe the inner walls of the product, as well as the outer part of the body. It is prohibited to use abrasive detergents to clean the non-stick layer, as well as to use metal brushes and hard sponges.
- In addition, in mini-ovens, it is recommended to use special dishes and panels, which are often supplied with the unit.
It is recommended to store the device in a dry room at an air temperature not lower than +5 degrees and an air humidity not higher than 80%.
In the next video you will see a presentation of the DeLonghi EO 12001 B electric roaster.