Pruning indoor plants helps them grow better, forms a good crown, but it is important to do it correctly. Most growers do not touch the money tree. In fact, he also needs to remove excess shoots.
When is pruning necessary?
There are several reasons why you might need to prune the money tree:
- giving an attractive decorative look;
- removal of diseased and fungus-infected shoots;
- stimulating growth;
- restraining plant growth.
It is necessary to remove extra shoots if the flower becomes too tall or wide for the space allotted to it. Branches or leaves knocking out from the top of the tree spoil the view and create an uneven shape. As soon as these appear on the flower, it's time to trim them to change the shape of the crown. In addition, pruning helps stimulate the growth of new healthy shoots. From time to time it is useful to rejuvenate the plant, but this should be done during a strictly allotted vegetative period.
It is not worth cutting off the bastard during flowering, because then the whole color will fall off.
There is only one justification for the procedure during this period: Crassula is ill and an immediate removal of shoots affected by bacterial rot is required, otherwise the whole flower will die. Brown or wilted leaves are regularly removed. If the grower has noticed dry, wilting, or brown shoots, you can remove them without worrying about the tree. Such changes in appearance may be a sign that the air in the room is too dry, or the plant is standing in a draft, it may not have enough natural light, or it falls directly on the foliage, burning it.
The fat woman undergoes the procedure at any time of the year when infected with bacterial rot. This disease cannot be treated, there are no effective remedies, so the only thing that can help save the plant is timely pruning. And it also requires pruning any new branches on the tree that grow down: this is the correct formation of the crown. Remove branches that intersect or are at the wrong angle. Pruning is needed to create an open space, thanks to which the air blows over the crown well, moisture does not collect in it and, accordingly, the foliage does not rot.
When can you do it?
It is not difficult to form a money tree, it is enough to study the basics of this art. Prune regularly in the spring. If you arrange the trunk and top during this period, the tree will keep its shape better. The procedure is carried out from March to May. In summer, corrective pinching is done, asymmetrically developing shoots are removed, and new growth is stimulated where the crown seems bare.
When working with braided ficus, it is cut evenly along all trunks. In winter, all dead or dying branches are harvested as they use up the plant's resources necessary for normal growth and the creation of new leaves. Diseased branches are cut off immediately.
Careful pruning each year helps to maintain the correct size of the money tree so that it remains compact, grows beautifully, and does not grow too tall. Prune no more than 1/3 of the branches from the trunk at a 45 ° angle: this helps to activate new growth. To form a crown and keep the tree healthy, dead branches are removed completely or to the site where they are still alive. The top stems are removed to prevent the money tree from growing after it reaches the desired height. Cut off new stems that form at the base of the trunk if they grow near the ground.
If a grower is trying to get a stem that needs to grow in a specific direction, pruning correctly is essential.
New shoots tend to form along previously made cuts, which is why a 45 ° cut angle is so important. To activate the growth of a new branch, you will need to make a cut on the top of the trunk. You can also provoke the growth of the rod to one side or at the desired angle.
Even light pruning of the plant helps to strengthen and stimulate the growth of the main stem. Regular treatment not only helps the trunk to support the weight of the leaves, but also increases its size through induced root growth. Callus formation should be monitored and removed along with old foliage. There are two methods of crown formation:
The difference between them is that the first option is more often used for mature trees, the second for young ones.
In the first case, a growth bud is found and carefully removed with the help of nail scissors or simply pinched off. Pruning is a more radical intervention in which whole branches are removed. In this case, the cut should be a couple of centimeters above the growth bud. Small shoots are removed to the trunk. No additional processing is required, just wait until the place is slightly dry.
Novice growers need to remember that giving a round shape to a tree the first time will not work. The procedure should be carried out on a regular basis so that the crown of the plant gets an attractive decorative appearance. Even removing large branches does not harm the flower, but it rejuvenates it. If you want the crown to be voluminous, you need to plant only one sprout in one container, since more trees form thickets. When 4 pairs of leaves appear, the last one will need to remove the bud. The procedure is carried out regularly.
The procedure for making a round crown is easy to master, it is necessary for the grower to pinch the growth buds from the side shoots, and not just at the top. In this case, the crown will form simultaneously in different directions. Making a thick trunk near a tree is also simple: you only need to grow long shoots. All foliage along the trunk is removed.
Any plant breeder will be able to correctly perform the pruning procedure at home. An adult plant needs to be rotated for convenience and examined to see where branches and leaves need to be removed. The pot is not changed at this moment, that is, no transplant is performed. The money tree gives off a milky white liquid when it is pruned. This is normal as the juice forms a protective film on the wound. The process takes place step by step.
- The first step is to prepare the tool. Pruning shears or special scissors are ideal for the procedure, but they should not have been used before on plants that are sick or infested with pests. It is best to disinfect the instrument with alcohol.
- Find 2 branches that form a V-shape from the trunk. Place your finger over them: this will be the place where you need to cut.
- Cut off the trunk 1–3 cm above the V-shaped branches. Hold the scissors at a 45 ° angle. The cut should be clean, no extra branches and leaves remain.
- Remove branches from the top and sides of the tree.
- Shoots with dry or brown leaves are cut off.
- Trim the tree to half its size. You should not carry out strong pruning at one time, otherwise the plant may hurt, the growth of the tree will stop.
New buds are pinched at the stage of their appearance in order to immediately form the correct crown. After any pruning, follow-up care is essential.
- Wicker Money Tree requires a little water. Watering once a week is sufficient. Any grower should know that the amount of moisture introduced depends not only on the temperature in the room, but also on the size of the container and the composition of the soil.
- Water the roots of the tree when the soil becomes dry to the touch. Use a watering can or long-necked jug to get to the roots of the plant, as water on the stem or leaves can cause rotting. In winter, the amount of watering is significantly reduced. The colder it is in the room, the less moisture the flower needs.
- The money tree loves well-drained soil. Water should not be allowed to stagnate in the ground, as the roots and stem will begin to rot. As a result of the putrefactive process, the plant ceases to receive the required amount of oxygen and nutrients, the foliage changes its color, begins to fall off. Getting rid of rot takes a lot of time and effort, sometimes the money tree dies. Therefore, the grower will need to take care of the quality of the soil, to avoid waterlogging. The soil should contain a mixture of earth and fine gravel, which is placed in a pot with one or more drainage holes. It is they who allow excess water to flow freely onto the pallet. Some bonsai grow well in a 2X1X1 mixture of peat, vermiculite and perlite.
- It is necessary to replant the tree every 2-3 years. If the grower has noticed that the root system has filled the pot, it is time to change the container. The best time for this is mid-summer. The flower is removed from the pot and placed in new soil and a new container. You can cut off some roots, remove damaged, weak, old ones. For this, a simple pruner is used, but only necessarily treated with alcohol.
- Money trees are very hardy and not susceptible to disease , but if whiteflies or aphids invade, you can fight them with a solution of soap and warm water. Processing is carried out in a bath or outside, if it is warm there. An increase in moisture is always detrimental to any insect. The procedure is repeated as needed. After it, you will definitely need to wait until the water in the pot drains before removing the flower to its usual place.
- For a money tree, it is worth choosing a place with a moderate amount of sunlight. This plant can survive in different conditions, but for its normal development it is worth taking care that there is the same amount of shade and sun during the day. East and west windows are the best place to grow a flower. At the first signs of a lack of light, artificial lighting can be installed.
- It is important to avoid exposure to direct sunlight for extended periods of time as this can cause burns. A bright but indirect light is ideal for a money tree, so it is better to place the flower behind a curtain, not allowing foliage to come into contact with the glass.
- As a tropical plant, the money tree can withstand large temperature swings. Its growth slows down slightly against the background of an increase in air temperature, but this does not harm the tree. Similarly, low temperatures can do little damage, but nothing serious will happen until it drops to –2 ° C.
- From time to time it is required to make top dressing. To enrich the soil with additional nutrients, a diluted complex liquid fertilizer can be applied for several months from spring to late autumn.
- Brown dry leaves are a symptom of a lack of necessary moisture in the air or a sign of poor lighting. These trees can be shocked when moved to a different environment, so they need to be given time to adjust to their new environment. The plant should be in a draft-free location away from batteries and other heaters, vents and air conditioners.
- Sometimes stress after pruning is manifested by leaf fall. During this period, it is worth placing the plant in a brightly lit place and leaving it there until the tree is restored. An increase in humidity around it can also help. You can use a spray bottle or automatic humidifiers, place a container of water and pebbles nearby. The main thing is to prevent water from getting on the surface of the foliage.
How to correctly form a money tree, see the next video.