Not a single family can do without washing. With the development of technical progress, this process has become much easier. However, the subsequent drying of damp laundry is still a problem. Even a few decades ago, kitchens and corridors of communal apartments were hung with ropes and things hanging on them. They presented an aesthetic problem, obstructed free passage. Fortunately, these difficulties are a thing of the past today, thanks to the advent of drying devices. There are several varieties of these devices. This article will focus on ceiling structures.
Ceiling dryers consist of several narrow tubes from 0.5 to 2 meters long. Usually they are made of metal or plastic, the total number does not exceed 5-6 pieces. So that the structure is not too heavy, the tubes are made hollow. Two nylon ropes of different lengths are attached to the ends of the pipes, which are adjusted using a special clamp. The dryer is suspended from the ceiling using roller fittings. Such structures are called "lift" because of the peculiarities of the mechanism: special brackets allow you to lower the dryer down, hang laundry on it and lift it back up.
The advantages of this mechanism are obvious.
- Available installation. Each dryer comes with a step-by-step instruction with a detailed description of each stage, as well as all the necessary fasteners.
- Does not take up scarce floor space and does not interfere with the passage.
- The compact size and versatile design allow the dryer to be used in different areas of the room.
- Air circulation is better at altitude than below. Therefore, the drying process takes place in a short time.
- The dryer is height adjustable, which eliminates the use of additional devices in order to reach it (chair, stairs). It can be used by a person of any height, even a child.
- The ceiling structure can be installed on absolutely any surface (be it concrete, plastic or wood).
- Once you buy a device from a reliable manufacturer, it will last for many years. The life of the dryer is not limited.
Each individual pipe is capable of withstanding a load of more than 2 kg. This circumstance allows you to hang a large number of things on the dryer. The product can withstand a total load of about 15 kg on average. If you need to hang a large item like a blanket or bedspread, several pipes can be connected together with special plastic mechanisms.
Several factors can be attributed to the disadvantages of the described design.
- The ceiling dryer has a limited gravity. If it is exceeded and more weight is hung than it can withstand, the pipe may bend or break.
- To install the dryer, in some cases, you will need to drill concrete, you will need special tools. This makes immediate use impossible and less attractive than other types of dryers.
The principle of operation is the same for all ceiling dryers. The only difference is in some design features. For example, they may differ in the method of fastening: some models are installed directly on the ceiling, others are attached to the wall surface. There are several basic types of drying equipment.
The simplest example of such a model is a clothespin hanger. You can take it with you on a trip, hang it anywhere on a hook, nail or rope. Installation of such a dryer is not required, it is inexpensive. This design has a small load capacity, it is mainly used for drying small items.
Another type of portable dryer is a mesh with a rigid base on the sides , divided into several compartments. In these compartments, things are dried horizontally. The mesh takes up little space, it can be assembled if necessary. Typically, this model is used to dry things that may lose their shape. However, due to its small capacity, this type is suitable for single items.
They are attached to the ceiling, wall, often do not fold or assemble not completely. Such dryers consist of two steel brackets, horizontal tubes and guide ropes. The brackets are fixed to the surface, the tubes are fixed with ropes. This design has rollers for lifting and lowering. Its disadvantage is that it has a fixed length, which limits the use of the dryer in rooms of a given size.
These options are popular due to their compactness. They have a fixed and removable part. The first block is permanently attached to the surface. Strings or ropes are pulled out of it and, using a special mechanism, are fixed at a certain distance.
After the laundry is dry, the ropes are pulled back and the dryer is folded. In this form, it is practically invisible and does not interfere with the passage. The advantage of such dryers is their affordable price. The disadvantages are that the strength and length of the rope are often not large enough to hang heavy things on them.
Sliding dryers can be conditionally divided into three subgroups.
Such models can be mounted on the wall at different levels, as well as under the ceiling. This device is indispensable in a room with a small area. The design with the "accordion" mechanism is convenient in that it can be used not only as a dryer, but also as a clothes hanger. The only drawback is that you can't hang a lot on it: the mounts can withstand no more than 15kg.
The telescopic model features crossed rods on a steel frame. They are made according to the same principle as the furniture mechanism. Such dryers withstand more than 20 kg, but their price is somewhat higher.
The descent and ascent of this structure is carried out by bending the crossbars on which it is held. The mechanism is simple and reliable, but very expensive.
Modern sliding ceiling fixtures are endowed with various additional functions that expand their capabilities. For example, some dryers have an automatic pull-out mechanism that is driven by an electric tubular motor. For the convenience of users, a control panel is provided in the kit.
There are models with built-in electric lamps that give a soft, unobtrusive glow. The heat emanating from the lamps accelerates the drying process for damp items. In addition, there are dryers on sale that have several levels. They can be used for their intended purpose and as a hanger for dry clothes, as well as shelves for storing various items. However, such technical miracles are quite expensive; not everyone can afford them. If there are small children in the house, you should take a closer look at the models that have a built-in fan and an ultraviolet lamp. Fans accelerate the evaporation of moisture, and the lamp disinfects the laundry.
This design consists of several tubes, inside which ropes pass. You can attach it to the ceiling or walls using special roller brackets. This system has a multi-level cascade shape, thanks to which the laundry dries relatively quickly. The peculiarity of this system is that you can lower each crossbar separately. To do this, just select the tension rope attached to it and pull on it. The length of the tubes in Liana can be from 0.5 to 2 meters.
The width can also be different, so anyone can choose the size that suits them. The disadvantages include the complexity of installation. Lots of ropes can get tangled. If it is not possible to understand the instructions yourself, you will have to resort to the help of paid specialists.
The most common materials for the manufacture of drying mechanisms are wood, plastic, aluminum, stainless steel. Each has its own merits and demerits.
This natural material has a large margin of safety, does not cause allergies, and therefore is safe to use. Wooden beams do not rust and do not sag, the installation of such a structure does not require lengthy proceedings. However, wood ceiling dryers are not without drawbacks. Wood is afraid of moisture, over time the appearance deteriorates, and the rope parts that are present in wooden dryers wear out quickly.
It is a lightweight and inexpensive material. However, plastic fittings fail quickly. Replacing it in some cases is not possible.
Aluminum parts are more durable, but they are afraid of moisture. Over time, they oxidize, an unpleasant coating appears that stains things. Therefore, aluminum parts must be painted. Aluminum is considered a soft metal; fittings made of it are not much more reliable than plastic.
Steel tubes can carry a lot of weight and do not deform. To protect metal parts from rust, they are treated with anti-corrosion compounds. To give them a more aesthetic look, they are coated with special powder paints or put in a plastic sleeve.
Stainless steel is the leader in quality. It has an attractive appearance and does not corrode. Fittings made of this material will last for more than a dozen years. There is only one drawback - high cost.
Where to install?
Before you start choosing a dryer for clothes, you should decide on the place of its installation. The choice of the type and size of the product directly depends on this. The ideal option is a special utility room, where there is an ironing board, washing machine and other household items. In private homes, a veranda or a covered terrace is often used to dry things.
If a dryer is chosen for a city apartment, the traditional place to install it is a balcony or loggia. Almost all model variants are suitable for balcony ceiling dryers. If we are talking about stationary structures, then the main thing here is not to be mistaken with the dimensions. An equally popular installation site is the bathroom.
If the bathroom is separate, you can opt for permanent dryers. When it comes to a shared bathroom, it is better to choose a folding or sliding option for it, allowing you to expand the area of use. Sometimes clothes dryers are mounted on the ceiling in the hallway or kitchen. Modern automated models with lighting and other technical bells and whistles will be appropriate here.
In order for the dryer to work correctly for a long time and fulfill its intended purpose, experts advise to adhere to some rules.
- The installation of the dryer should be started only after all finishing work in the room has been completed.
- If the installation site is a glazed balcony or loggia, and the sashes are hinged and open inward, you should first measure the distance from the ceiling to the open sash. The dryer should not interfere with the opening of the shutters and balcony door.
- Pay attention to the magnitude of the load. With a structure longer than 150 cm, it must withstand more than 15 kg.
- It is better to choose models with metal mounts. They are considered the most reliable.
- If you buy a model with a Liana-type lifting mechanism, the thickness of the nylon rope must be at least 3 mm.
- If the dryer is from an imported manufacturer, there must be an instruction with translation into Russian. In this case, the copy must be original, printed in the printing house. A photocopy of questionable quality should be alarming.
- Dryers over 120 cm in length are best fitted with anchor bolts. Conventional nails with dowels will not withstand wet laundry.
- On a dryer, which has tubes instead of threads, the laundry dries faster. In addition, rope marks do not remain on it.
- When choosing an electric dryer, you should check the noise level and the amount of energy consumed so that the sound of running motors and electricity bills do not come as an unpleasant surprise.
If you plan to do the installation of a ceiling dryer for clothes with your own hands, before proceeding with the installation, you need to carefully read the instructions, which will outline the installation diagram step by step and indicate the features of the purchased model.
The whole process of installing the dryer consists of several stages.
- Markings for fasteners. To correctly measure the distance at which the structure will be attached, you need to attach the bracket to the surface and make marks through the holes in it.
- Next, you need to make holes in the wall or ceiling. This may require a drill with a set of drills or a hammer drill with drills of various diameters. To keep dust out of your eyes, you can put a plastic cup or cut off plastic bottle over the drill.
- Dowels are inserted into the finished holes, after which you can start screwing the brackets. Then they need to be fixed to the ceiling or wall. Ropes or metal cables are passed through them and fixed on the frame.
Today in stores you can choose a huge number of dryers from manufacturers from different countries. Models of European brands are in the greatest demand. In the first place, you can put products from Germany, for example, Leifheit, which produces household utensils. Its products are distinguished by modern design and traditionally high quality, for which all German goods are famous.
Dryers from Italian firms are no less popular. For example, Gimi brand products are successfully sold not only in Europe but all over the world. The range of the company is diverse. In its model range, there are almost all types of modern ceiling dryers. The materials used in their production are high quality steel and non-toxic plastic.
To protect against external harmful influences, the dryers are equipped with protective covers and plugs. All components are connected by electric welding. The assortment of the company includes stationary and sliding versions of dryers. Some extendable models can be expanded up to 20 meters in length
Belgian manufacturers are also trying to keep up with their European colleagues. For example, the company Quick has created a device that is unique in its properties for drying damp laundry with a blowing system that makes it dry in a short time. Some models of this company may have an ultraviolet lamp for disinfection, an air ionizer that cleans the air space. In addition to this, the products have additional functions.
The clothes dryers of the Swiss company Eurogold are also highly valued. They are reliable and of high quality. In terms of functionality, comfort level and design they are in no way inferior to any other European manufacturer. The Russian-made Liana system is produced only in a ceiling version. These models can be installed in any room (bathroom, closet, veranda, loggia or balcony).
Ceiling devices from Turkish firms Bierhof and Dogrular are mainly produced in a stationary version. They are characterized by simplicity. Plastic and metal parts can withstand loads of up to 10 kg. Keeping the aesthetic design, manufacturers have left only a minimal set of functions and removed all unnecessary. This makes the models attractively low cost.
Russians can get acquainted with Chinese products using the example of Alkon. Its automated drying systems meet all modern requirements. Robust steel construction, ceiling positioning, remote control light illumination and lower than European models. The bonus price makes it attractive to buyers.
In the next video you will see an overview of the Zalger Lift Comfort 120cm ceiling dryer and how to install it.