No house is complete without a desk. This furniture is relevant at all times, despite the pace of human development. A writing desk is an irreplaceable detail of the interior of a nursery, student's room, personal office or a business person's library. This subject was and remains the most important in the life of every person, with its help he develops, works and improves from childhood to deep gray hair.
In addition, in chic private offices, a luxurious writing desk emphasizes the status and impeccable taste of its owner.
The writing desk and the computer desk are two models that are completely different in purpose and functional equipment. But often these two models are combined into one.
Let's figure out what qualities a writing desk should have.
The comfort of working at the desk is determined by the competent choice of the product itself, as well as the physical data of the person. Sitting at a desk for many hours can negatively affect back health, resulting in scoliosis or kyphosis, which inevitably leads to long and difficult treatment. It is better to avoid these consequences by choosing the right piece of furniture.
The height of the table for an adult and for a child is very different. Let's consider these parameters.
The great constructivist and architect Le Corbusier developed a system of proportions according to which all modern furniture is made, including all types of tables. The height of the countertop directly affects the seating comfort and health. With the average anthropometric data of a person, Le Corbusier calculated that the standard for the height of the tabletop for an adult should be 70-80 cm.
In addition to height, the width of the tabletop and its depth play an important role. For comfortable work, the minimum depth should be 60 cm, while the maximum is about 80 cm.The width of the working surface is from 1 m.
For a comfortable fit, chair parameters play an important role
So, the ideal dimensions of the seat would be: a width of about 40 cm and a height of 42-48 cm, depending on the height of the person. These are the dimensions of the table for an adult.
If you are choosing furniture for a child, you must consider the following criteria:
- When the child sits down at the table, the feet should be flat on the floor. The thighs should be at right angles to the shins.
- The depth of the chair should be such that when the body rests on the back of the chair, the front edge of the seat does not press under the knees.
- The distance from the surface of the tabletop to the hips should be about 18 cm, if there is no drawer or pull-out tabletop. Otherwise, the height may be slightly less.
- The elbows should lie flat on the table top and never hang down.
- The correct distance from the work surface to the eyes should be equal to the length from the elbow to the child's fingertips.
As for growth, it is better to select a table based on the calculations below:
- For children up to 130 cm, a height of 53 cm and a chair of 33 cm are ideal. The optimum difference between chair and table is 20 cm.
- For children with a height of 130 to 145 cm, the height of the tabletop should be 58 cm and the chair 38 cm.If the child is 145-165 cm tall, then the height of the product is 64 cm, but an adult design with a height of 70 cm is also quite suitable if the chair height is 20 cm below.
Thus, it becomes clear that the ideal option for a student is a transforming table with a variable tabletop height. An office chair with seat adjustment is suitable for this model.
When choosing a children's table, take your child with you. So, you can try on each model for the parameters of your student.
One of the most important criteria when choosing a table is its functionality. Regardless of whether a design is chosen for an adult or for a child, it should be equally convenient and comfortable to use. An important plus will be the presence of built-in shelves where you can put notebooks, papers, documents and books, as well as stationery. Everything you need will always be at hand and the user will not have to constantly get up and look for something in additional cabinets and shelves.
In addition, manufacturers offer several types of tables.
- Single-column. The standard version is when there is a sidewall on one side of the table, and a cabinet with drawers on the other. It can be built-in or movable. This model is convenient, but it has little storage space, it is positioned as a small-sized one when space for a desktop is limited.
- Double-sided. It is also a classic option, but with a wider table top, under which legs and 2 cabinets with drawers for all the necessary materials and items should fit comfortably.
- Table with a trolley. A classic office option, also convenient for home use. The advantage of this model is that the cabinet with drawers can be used not only for storing notebooks, books and documents, but also moving around the room, rolling up to a sofa or armchair, organizing an additional workplace for crafts, creativity, as well as small notes and reading.
If none of the three options suits you completely, then each of them can be successfully improved by purchasing shelves and placing them directly above the table, this will increase the space for storing textbooks and favorite books.
The best option for a student is a full-fledged headset with a built-in table. It provides an opportunity to store all items, books, games, school medals and certificates, as well as household items, necessary for study and development. Such headsets are very expensive, but they have increased functionality.
Also in demand are school desks combined with computer desks made in the form of the letter "G". One part of the table can serve as a writing, and the second can be used to perform work at the computer. Such models are convenient for small-sized apartments, where there is no room for a spacious workplace.
The design in the shape of the letter "L" takes up little space, but is as functional as possible. In addition, the table can contain 2 roll-up cabinets with drawers, one of which will always be located directly under the table, and the second next to it, at a distance convenient for the child and used as an additional table.
This table allows you to change the height of the racks and the slope of the tabletop, depending on the change in the student's height. This model is an order of magnitude higher than standard, but it is bought once and “grows” with the child. You no longer have to buy a new product before it grows up. This table can then be folded and stowed away, saving space in the home.
Choice of materials
When choosing a table for a child, it is definitely not worth buying expensive models made of valuable wood species, since the surface will be hopelessly damaged during operation. Children paint the work surface with pens, felt-tip pens, compasses and even scissors, as their creativity knows no boundaries. On the other hand, buying a table with a cheap plastic finish also makes no sense: it can be too fragile and, moreover, toxic.
If you purchase a table for a child, you should not overpay for the design, because the main thing is functionality and durability.
Take a closer look at reliable models from chipboard or MDF. They are beautiful in the interior and quite reliable in operation.
When choosing a table for an adult, the question of choosing materials is different:
- Nothing beats a sturdy, durable solid wood table . Possessing a status and noble appearance, the wooden table will serve you for many years. This is not only a functional thing, but also a worthy element of the interior. A good desk should be equipped with drawers for storing important documents. It can also be equipped with a roll-in cabinet. If you plan to work not only with paper media, but also use a laptop or PC, then the desk should be equipped with technological holes for the wires of equipment and a table lamp.
- In second place after wood are materials such as MDF and chipboard , they have:
- High wear resistance.
- A variety of colors and textures, which allows you to perfectly match the color of the table to the rest of the furniture in the room.
- Depending on the style of your interior, the table top can be made of tempered glass , such a model will fit into a minimalistic modern design.
- In addition, a table made of acrylic stone, agglomerate, ceramics, natural stone and many other materials looks very fresh and stylish .
Thanks to the variety of models and materials, you can choose a table with unique parameters.
It is important to take into account all the requirements for the product in advance, and choosing a decent model will not be difficult.
For information on how to choose a desk for a student, see the next video.