Even the builders of the 19th century thought about how to preserve buildings and structures from external influences, while leaving their aesthetic and attractive appearance. Then it was invented to nail the boards to the wall so that each subsequent layer hung over the previous one - this allowed the drops to slide down unhindered in the rain. Wooden boards began to be replaced with vinyl, metal and cement boards 60-70 years ago. At the same time, the ventilated facade technology was invented. All this made life easier for builders, ensured the durability of the facade and determined its style.
Now such cladding has received its modern name - siding and is the most modern exterior finishing material. His plates, as before, combine utilitarian and aesthetic functions. The characteristic of this material certainly wins when compared with other facade counterparts, and even the most fastidious buyer can enjoy today's variety of colors and textures. Each panel, regardless of the material of manufacture, is equipped with a snap lock and an edge with holes for nails.
Facade cladding with siding is one of the types of ventilated facade technology , in which the panels are attached to the crate, and air circulates freely in the formed space. If necessary, a heater is installed in the free space, which makes the siding even more practical. In addition, siding rooms also look very stylish.
Existing types of siding, their characteristics and application features are discussed below.
Vinyl siding is a panel made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) with the addition of titanium dioxide, calcium carbonate, modifiers and other substances. Such panels are used for cladding any facade. The advantage of these stoves is that they can withstand extreme temperature changes, including the searing sun and frost, are easy to clean with a regular garden hose, and retain their original appearance even after many years.
This became possible thanks to the upper protective layer (capstock) , which should be more than 20% of the total thickness of the web. The inner layer (substrate) is responsible for the geometric characteristics. For high-quality siding, the color of the inner and outer layers is the same. Despite all the advantages, vinyl siding burns quickly, can bend under a strong blow, and outwardly does not look as expensive as it could be.
Most often, PVC panels are used to decorate private houses, summer cottages, when they hide the imperfections of the walls, and also try to hide the insulation.
It is possible to distinguish vertical and horizontal siding.
- The vertical , in addition to the appropriate mounting, has a symmetrical form factor (standard) panels. In Russia, such vinyl panels are rarely used, as a rule, when facing pavilions or cafes. Installed from one corner to another.
- The horizontal type of fastening is widespread in Russia, such panels have several profile shapes: "ship board" and "herringbone". Installation is made from bottom to top.
If you are not an adherent of natural materials, then vinyl siding, convenient and quick to install, is a great option. The value for money will not leave you indifferent.
The plastic burns out and you can't get away from it. High-quality siding will fade evenly and gradually, so you won't notice it at all. The difference will only be visible when you decide to sheathe the extension or replace the panels. Then there will be a noticeable difference of several tones. Therefore, do not stretch the facade cladding for several seasons, try to do everything in one go.
High-quality Canadian siding will not lose color intensity even after 10 years , Russian siding will remain bright and new for at least 5 years, and low-quality and cheap siding will lose its properties in a year.
In addition, there is foam siding - these are PVC panels that are characterized by reduced thermal conductivity and the ability to absorb vibration and muffle sound. Using foam panels, of course, you cannot completely replace the insulation, but you can still achieve a certain effect.
Natural wood is an environmentally friendly and reliable material. Unlike PVC, it rots, deforms and cannot boast a long-term flawless appearance. On the other hand, it has an excellent level of thermal insulation and excellent decorative qualities.
Wooden panels can be divided into several types.
By type of material processing:
- panels, the wood of which has a moisture content of no more than 18%, they are made of hardwood and tropical hardwood;
- panels made of fire-resistant species (pine or ash), undergo additional heat treatment at 170-220 degrees;
- wood impregnated with an antiseptic.
By the type of section, they are distinguished:
- "In a quarter";
- "Overlap" or "American";
- "Butt" (planken).
Wood siding is popular in America and Canada , therefore, when choosing such panels in Russia, it is better to choose manufacturers of these particular countries.
Installation is carried out on slats (lathing), which must be made of wood species that are resistant to moisture. At maximum humidity, it is preferable to choose a bar. Fastening requires 50 mm nails. The corners are closed over the siding panels. Windows and doors are decorated with platbands.
Wooden panels are divided into false beams and block houses.
- False beam. It is not difficult to guess from the name that the false beam is a panel that imitates a beam and has a smooth front side. There is a huge variety of colors, shades and textures of such panels, so this material is in demand among designers for interior decoration.
- Block house. This type of panel is made from various types of wood, but conifers are considered the best. Thanks to the impregnation, the coniferous panels do not rot and do not form mold.
The finishing material, made of cedar, allows for cladding indoors as well. Larch panels are very durable, good quality panels with the highest cost. Not so long ago, a glued block house appeared.
There is a classification that determines the class of the material:
- "A" - 1 knot per 1.5 m of the panel, no more than 2 blind cracks;
- "B" - 4 knots and 2 blind cracks on the panel 1.5 meters;
- "C" - knots are present, but no more than 25 mm in diameter, the presence of 2 through cracks.
Wood siding will help you with your individual design, whether it is exterior or interior decoration of a building.
Metal siding is made from steel, zinc or aluminum. The latter can be painted in any color, imitate any texture.
The most important drawback of metal panels is their "noise" during rain, strong gusts of wind. Corrosion can also occur in damaged areas. On the other hand, if there is no mechanical damage and there is no need to replace a whole sheet, metal siding has a service life similar to PVC.
Steel panels are suitable for workshops or industrial buildings, they are not subject to combustion, but are very heavy, which increases the load on the foundation.
Metal siding can be divided into the following types:
- Wall panels;
- panels for a log;
- smooth straight siding (mounted vertically).
The concept of "basement metal siding" does not exist. The manufacturer applies a pattern to the metal surface that imitates this or that material. This process became possible thanks to the "photo-offset" technology. These panels are specifically named Printech.
The most popular are panels imitating a log - this is metal Woodstock. It is unique in its shape, can reproduce the relief of log or masonry, has such a profile geometry that it can easily recreate the pattern of natural wood.
Fire organizations and services do not make great demands on cement panels, therefore they are the most common material during repair and finishing work. At the same time, these panels are very expensive and heavy.
Cement panels are 80% cement with added sand, minerals and cellulose fibers. Cement siding can be with a smooth or embossed surface, models that imitate stone, brick and other materials are very common. Most often, such panels are made in a gray natural color with a surface primed for painting. The buyer is invited to independently choose the color and paint the siding.
For convenience and ease of installation, cement siding can be made in the form of a constructor with fasteners attached to the back side. When installing on a brick wall, it is necessary to make a crate.
A plinth is an important element in the construction of any building and must be approached with special attention. Due to its proximity to the ground, it is constantly exposed to mechanical damage and more often interacts with dampness. Most often, panels that imitate stone are used, this visually gives the reliability of the entire structure as a whole.
Usually the base / plinth panel is made in dimensions 1125x480 mm. The parameters may differ, depending on the manufacturer, but the average value was revealed - 1x0.5 m. It is easy to calculate that 2 panels are needed for facing 1 square meter. High-quality and reliable siding does not have a clear visible joint, its fastening is very strong. These joints affect the further operation of the base.
Usually PVC, metal or cement are used for basement panels. The latest construction innovation that has not yet taken root in Russia is a basement siding with a heater. Insulation is achieved by applying polyurethane foam to the material.
To install such a structure, a metal crate is required, attached horizontally. The first row must necessarily be a plank, called the starting one, it is attached along the perimeter of the house from below, it is from it that the rest of the panels begin to be installed.
The corners are decorative elements and do not carry any semantic meaning. The corners of windows and doors are usually trimmed with such elements.
Ventilation grilles also serve as a decorative function, for their intended purpose they are necessary for improved ventilation under the panels.
Ceramic siding panels were first produced in Japan. Ceramic siding has established itself as a material with fairly high performance characteristics. It is a fiber cement panel composed of silicate fibrous materials. Subsequently, they are tempered in an oven, a multilayer coating is applied to them, which looks very much like ceramics. The top layer of the coating must necessarily include fluorine, inorganic or silicon-acrylic dyes.
Such panels are successfully used in Russia due to their advantages:
- the material is resistant to heat and cold;
- does not fade thanks to an innovative coating;
- creates a barrier against noise;
- corresponds to the highest class of fire resistance;
- due to the absence of asbestos, it is considered a highly environmentally friendly coating;
- ceramic panels have 10 times more thermal insulation than concrete pavements.
The main disadvantages of ceramics are their heavy weight and difficult assembly. To install the panels, you need special fasteners that do not require drilling - clamps. The self-tapping clamps are attached to the metal profile of the crate. Thanks to the sealed joints, no seam processing is required.
Not everyone can afford ceramosiding. First, they have a very high cost. Secondly, transportation from Japan is associated with certain difficulties. Thirdly, the complexity of installation and specific fixings. Therefore, now this type of cladding can be found only on the facades of large companies or private houses of wealthy people.
Pros and cons
Siding panels have long been recognized by Russian buyers as first-class facade finishes, but they are still not in high demand. All the advantages and disadvantages of siding are listed below. After examining them, you can decide whether this type of finish is right for you.
Let's first look at all the benefits of this material.
- Protection of the facade surface from rain, snow, wind, UV rays and so on.
- Siding does not require special preparation of the walls and at the same time hides all the visible faults of the facade.
- Condensation is discharged along the inner surface of the siding panels, which ensures that there is no excess moisture.
- Siding can make a home unique, individual, with a unique design. Any building clad in siding will look modern.
- Another plus of the material is that it is durable. If you choose high-quality facing material, then its service life can be up to 50 years. It can serve for more than 30 years without restoration. In terms of durability, it should also be borne in mind that wood material serves a little less than plastic, but it looks more noble and expensive.
- Easy to use: it is enough to wash it occasionally and then only if necessary.
- Siding is a fairly environmentally friendly and safe material. Being biologically inert, the panels will not pose any harm to human health.
On the other hand, siding panels have several disadvantages.
- Installing planks, whether they are wood, metal or PVC, is much more difficult than just painting a wall, but faster than laying it out with real bricks.
- With any mechanical influences, special or not, the panel will have to be changed completely, so the question will arise in parsing and assembling the surface.
- It is necessary to clearly know all the characteristics of the material, so that unpleasant incidents do not happen. If a brazier is located next to a wall lined with PVC, then the material may melt, if the wall is lined with metal, it can heat up, which will also cause danger.
- The high cost of parts and fasteners. If you use cheaper counterparts, then the manufacturer removes the warranty.
In any case, all the pros and cons will depend on the specific situation, conditions, capabilities and desires of the client.
The modern market offers many Russian and foreign manufacturers operating in the Russian market. It should be noted that each manufacturer has its own cost, and the list of products does not cover all types.
Ease of installation and durability of the structure depends on the quality of the product, which is specified by the manufacturer.
- Canada is considered the founder of siding production. One of the popular companies offering vinyl siding is Mitten . The main advantage of the brand is the quality guarantee for 50 years. The company also assures that their product is environmentally friendly, not afraid of the sun or frost. The peculiarity of Mitten products lies in the fact that the client can pick up a panel in any price category, and even the cheapest panels will be resistant to temperature extremes, the manufacturer guarantees the absence of swelling and delamination.
- Foundry vinyl siding panels are originally from the USA , they are manufactured by the Tarco Group using special technologies. Foundry is the only full-color PVC siding in Russia. Foundry panels are non-flammable despite their material. They can be used, for example, for cladding a section of a house next to a barbecue. In Russia, this manufacturer has an exclusive dealer, which makes it easy to purchase panels.
- The German company Docke is engaged in the production of acrylic and vinyl panels. This siding is designed for harsh climates and despite the low price, the panels are of excellent quality. On the official website of the company, the price of such PVC panels ranges from 140 rubles. / pc for vertical siding up to 239 rubles. / pc for a block house. Acrylic panels cost 255 rubles. /PC. Installation is easy and quick, defects in "locks" are extremely rare. There are no complaints about its appearance, the facade will retain its original appearance for many years.
- Nordside is a Russian company that deals with plastic and facade siding. Reviews speak of good product quality and compliance with production technologies. The products are certified. Nordside siding is guaranteed for 50 years from date of purchase.
- Nailite is the first company in the world to launch plinth siding panels. Planks can imitate stone, brick or wood. Price - from 740 rubles per piece measuring 470x1130 mm. Nailite produces panels with a thickness of 0.003 m, while their durability is several times higher than that of vinyl. The material contains polypropylene resins, which makes it extremely durable. Thanks to resins, the panels resist moisture, do not mold, do not darken or rot.
- The Russian brand Holzpast offers a Wandstein basement facade. Externally, the product imitates a wide variety of stone and brickwork, in addition, it has 6 lines in the assortment. The advantage of Wandstein is that the panels are made of polypropylene, so they are not afraid of water, dirt and moss, they are easy to install thanks to the Clickschloss lock, they can be washed. The manufacturer gives a 15-year color guarantee (Zugfest raw materials). The cost of the panels is from 390 rubles per piece (0.795x0.595m).
Thus, in the niche of vinyl siding manufacturers, firms from Canada, America, Germany occupy a confident position. The companies Novik, Mitten, the American brand CertainTeed and the German Holzplast are also popular. Considering the Russian market of an affordable price segment, one can single out the Alta Profile and FineBer trademarks.
Metal siding in Russia is produced by Nord Haus, Grand Line and Optima. The Belgian company Eternit, the Japanese company Nichiha have a unique fiber-cement cladding of the facade; the Russian brand RosPan deserves special attention.
Each of the listed brands deserves attention, and your choice should depend on the price category you are counting on. In addition, when choosing, be sure to pay attention to the time of the warranty, the type of lock to determine the cost of installation, the possibility of delivery, etc.
How to choose?
Siding is chosen according to personal preferences, the climatic conditions of the region, as well as the characteristics of the building's operation.
Be sure to check the uniformity of color, panel thickness. High quality planks have a uniform color, evenly distributed on both sides of the panel. The cheaper option has a lighter inner side, this is easily explained by the use of less dye.
The side cut of the panel must have the same thickness throughout the entire length, the further operation of the facade depends on this. It is necessary that the load is distributed equally. Along the length of the panel, it is necessary to check the absence of irregularities, roughness, the correctness and uniformity of the holes for screws and nails.
If such shortcomings are present, this suggests not only marriage, but also the presence of violations in production technology, from this the characteristics will be reduced significantly.
There are also two types of siding packaging - cardboard boxes and ordinary polyethylene. Of course, rigid cardboard boxes prevent the panels from warping during transport and storage, but this adds value to the final product.
Do not forget to determine in advance what the panels will be attached to - on a timber or metal profile. The choice of related materials for further repairs will also depend on this.
There are siding myths that interfere with the full choice of this material.
- The thicker the better. Myth. If the thickness of the panel is greater than the stated, this does not mean high quality. We are not talking about panels produced using special technologies. The optimal panel thickness is 1 cm.
Changing the thickness can lead to the loss of the necessary siding parameters, this will reduce the impact resistance, and with a sharp change in temperature, the panel may crack at all. Most often, thick panels are just a marriage or technology imperfection.
- Siding price does not depend on its color. Myth. We have already said above that budget models have differences in the colors of the outer and inner sides. Hence the conclusion - siding of dark colors is more expensive not only because of the higher concentration of the dye, but also because of the fixing layer: it is necessary to protect the saturated color from fading, for this a special solution is used.
For example, dark-colored PVC panels are usually 1.5-2 times more expensive than their pastel counterparts. Be careful if you see a manufacturer putting dark and light panels in the same price range.
There are some tips for cladding structures. For example, when sheathing a country house, it is better to choose PVC panels. They are easy to transport, they do not have a lot of weight, they are installed quite simply, you can do it yourself. Usually, light colors are chosen so that when fading after a few years, the panel looks the same on the sunny and shady side of the house. If you want to sell a house and need to put it in order quickly, then vinyl panels will hide all façade imperfections.
Vinyl cladding is cheaper than the other options, but if you still decide to make the right ventilated facade, then you need to take into account the cost of thermal insulation, fastening systems, installation. Thus, the difference in price compared to analogs will not be so noticeable.
Metal siding is considered the most durable, it is mainly used in regions with harsh climatic conditions (Siberia, the Far East). Metal can withstand large temperature drops, it is quite unpretentious in maintenance and operation. The main disadvantage of such panels is the tendency to rust and corrosion in case of any damage to the integrity of the sheet. For convenient transportation and installation, manufacturers reduce weight to the maximum, so the sheet thickness is on average 5 mm. Such a sheet is easy to deform.
Fiber cement siding resembles wood not only in appearance: cement panels are easily sawn in any direction. If there are special self-tapping screws for fixing the panels to the wooden lathing, no drilling is required.
If necessary, insulating material can be placed between the siding and the wall of the house to improve the thermal performance of the building.
Before starting installation, you must prepare all the tools.
First you need to determine on which frame the cladding will be fixed (metal or wooden), and then purchase a tool:
- tape measure, ruler, angle;
- pencils with a soft lead (they leave marks better);
- level, it is better to use water;
- screwdrivers, impact drill screwdriver for hard materials;
- hammer and pry bar (for possible dismantling of panels);
- metal tools (grinder, scissors or pliers);
- jigsaw for cutting wood.
Other consumables you may need:
- moisture resistant film;
- profile or slats for composing the crate;
- corners, platbands for corners, windows, doors;
- insulation, if necessary;
It is not difficult to sheathe the facade of a house with siding, but quickly and economically. Below you can see a selection of examples of cladded facades. These samples can be a great idea for decorating your home.
Option for using metal upholstery at home. At first glance, it seems as if the house is faced with wood, the facade looks very elegant and neat. The semi-circular shape of the metal siding ideally imitates natural logs.
Different types of panels look different: somewhere a "herringbone" will be appropriate, and somewhere a "ship board" will look more elegant.
If you are planning to decorate the facade stylishly and elegantly, then pay attention to the fact that combinations of different colors almost always perfectly harmonize with a brown roof.
When choosing light colors of the facade, especially white, do not forget that it expands the space. It is possible that the snow-white building will look much larger and taller than it actually is. In addition, the white color practically does not fade in the sun, but requires more maintenance.
Today on the market of finishing materials, you can buy a special paint for siding. If for some reason you decide to change the color of the panels, you can use paint, but remember that the painting of the PVC panels should be in the same or similar tone.
Do not choose dark colors for repainting, deep color panels tend to heat up more, and this will cause the paint to hold poorly.
For metal siding and the features of its installation, see the next video.