People come to their dacha or personal plot not only to work, growing crops, but also to relax from the bustle of the city. For a comfortable pastime, they equip the territory, making it pleasant. Many build barbecues, mini-ponds, various children's areas.
For a family vacation, a swing will be an excellent place, which can be placed where it is convenient: on a terrace or in a gazebo, under a shady tree, separately under its own canopy by a pond or in a meadow. A large number of companies already offer ready-made swing models, but you can make them with your own hands.
Advantages and disadvantages
In order to independently build a swing, they usually use wood, metal or plastic. Each material has its own pros and cons, however, in most cases, site owners leave their choice on wood.
Among the indisputable advantages of wooden structures are technical and operational qualities.
- Environmental friendliness , which is due to the natural character of the material itself. It provides safety for human health.
- Aesthetics of designs. Wooden buildings naturally fit into any landscape design, since they themselves are objects of natural origin.
- Operational safety. Wood is softer than iron and plastic, it is convenient for processing and use, less traumatic.
- Ease of installation. Even the simplest construction skills will allow you to make the simplest model of a swing.
- Versatility and practicality. The simplicity of wood processing is due to a large number of models and varieties of swing. And all of them can be done with your own hands, without the involvement of professional craftsmen.
- Relatively low costs. Wood is cheaper than metal, and if you use any waste in the form of boxes or pallets to make a swing, the costs will decrease several times. Also, savings are obtained due to independent work, since the services of carpenters will not have to be paid.
Among the shortcomings, only one significant one can be distinguished - a low degree of resistance to natural factors, such as rain, snow, dampness, wood-boring insects, temperature changes, sunlight.
That is why you need to worry about protection right away:
- cover the tree with antiseptic agents or varnish, you can use a stain;
- install a swing under some kind of shelter: a canopy, a roof, an awning, which will protect them from precipitation and direct sunlight;
- in addition, you can choose a more resistant wood such as larch, pine, oak or linden.
Oak products can last for centuries, but such a tree is not cheap. Oak has a good degree of hardness, but it is also available for processing and decoration. Conifers have an increased strength factor, do not have cracks, but they undergo decay processes. Various antiseptics effectively cope with this.
Wooden swings have many options, differ not only in shape, but also in construction methods. This should be taken into account before erecting a structure, for example, for a summer residence.
The parameters of the classification of structures will allow you to create the best option for each specific site and case.
- Material. Moreover, in this case, it differs not only for the execution of the frame, but also for the execution of the seats.
- Fastening. Swings can be free-standing or suspended.
- Design. The design of the design depends only on the wishes of the customer and the availability of finance for their implementation. Just like any furniture, swings are made in different styles: country, beach, traditional.
- Comfort level. This criterion includes the availability of seat decoration: backrests, armrests, cushions or mattresses, and other similar accessories.
- Maximum permissible weight. Perhaps this is one of the primary parameters for a swing. From it begins the calculation of the dimensions of the entire structure, the method of its installation and the choice of material for the frame.
- Usage time. If the swing is planned to be used all year round, then it can be installed permanently. In the case of seasonal use, it is better to opt for portable, folding or hanging versions.
By installation method
The garden swing can be installed in three different ways: stationary, with hangers or with the possibility of transfer.
- Stationary models assume a permanent place, therefore, the structure is more stable, as a rule, it has a foundation. The main advantages are reliability and long service life. As a minus - their immobility, that is, when you change the decision about the location of the swing, it will be problematic to change it. To protect the wooden structure itself and the people sitting in it, they are often made with a roof.
- Portable designs allow you to change the place as often as the owners want. During installation, special supports are used. Summer cottage options can be taken out in an open place in sunny weather and cleaned in a utility room for the winter or during bad weather.
- Hanging swing , in addition to mobility, is characterized by lightness and variety of models. The only drawback is the search for some kind of crossbar or tree branch, which must have a sufficient degree of strength. In most cases, such models are installed for children, since the small weight is not an obstacle. In the case of adults, a special suspension support will be required. The simplest example is a piece of a regular board that snaps to a branch. The upgraded variants have a seat with backrest and armrests, soft mattresses and pillows.
It should be noted that suspended structures can be used without a canopy only in dry weather, since the ropes and ropes with which they are attached, although they are processed with special compounds, are still prone to rotting if they get wet.
Depending on this criterion, the dimensions of the structure are selected.
- Family models are designed for operation by 2 or more people. At the core, they are a long bench with a stable massive support. Such structures are attached to chains or strong ropes. It is recommended to use solid wood species for the frame.
- Children's swings are most often small in size, designed for light weight. The main distinguishing feature from other modifications is the ability to swing high, since they carry an entertainment function, not a relaxing one. Designs for children depend on their age. For babies, you need to think about safe protective attachments: holders, handles, partitions, fixing belts. Older children no longer need such protection.
If there are several children in the family, then it is more advisable to install a double swing, when two seats are attached to one base.
- The swing for adults is designed for relaxation. Their deflection angle is extremely small, which does not allow them to swing too much. They are focused on relaxation, reading books, afternoon naps. Due to their purpose, outdoor models are usually equipped with a canopy, a protective insect screen, hanging tables or armrests. As a rule, adult swings have soft seats and comfortable backs.
The constructional form of wooden swings is different: from the simplest in the form of a board to the more complex and original.
- The bench is the simplest model, more often installed on A-racks. There are many manufacturing options. You can hang the bench with ropes or chains. Creative owners of their own sites use various industrial waste: boxes, pallets. The bench is also suspended from the branches of nearby trees, if possible.
- Sphere or drop. Spherical or teardrop-shaped swings belong to the category of suspended ones and are most often suspended with a single cable or rope. The unusual seat is woven from rattan or soaked wood. A more economical option is from plastic, fabric or rope. Designers love to use such stylish solutions not only when decorating the external landscape of the personal plot, but also indoors. In any interior, the swing-sphere looks very original and cozy.
- Armchair. The structure is designed for 1-2 people and has the shape of the named piece of furniture. Craftsmen make a seat from a variety of materials, but you can make a similar swing from any old chair. You just need to remove the legs and fix reliable fasteners on it. Rocking chairs or single sitting hammocks are comfortable for reading books on the terrace.
- A bed or sofa is a novelty of recent years. Hanging beds are very popular not only as a swing, but also for sleeping at night. This design becomes a highlight of modern interiors of country houses. She especially liked teenagers and young people. Such a bed is fastened to the ceiling using strong ropes, less often on chains.
Choosing a material
In order to make a wooden swing, it should be understood that not all wood is suitable for this, but only with a certain degree of strength.
As a rule, the base is made of logs or beams. Larch, pine and spruce are distinguished among conifers for such construction, and among deciduous ones - oak, beech, linden, aspen and birch. These rocks not only withstand the effects of precipitation and other natural influences, but are also resistant to deformation.
The breed is also responsible for texture, for example, in deciduous trees it is more interesting and varied due to the pattern and shine.
Support structures should be made from solid wood only, as the glued parts may not support weight or deformation. As for the seats, there is no limit to imagination. Spherical hanging swing is made of rattan, willow, plastic, ropes and fabric.
Wooden swinging sofas are decorated with soft mattresses and pillows with removable covers. As a material, craftsmen use not only new boards, but also wooden pallets - pallets. They make original swing beds.
The construction of any structure begins with the project and the choice of the location of the object. It is from the answer to the question of where the swing will be located that determines the choice of wood, the installation method and the design of the entire structure.
Ideally, the most even place on the site should be chosen for the location of the outdoor swing. If the project provides for a stationary design option, then it is advisable to choose places sheltered from direct sunlight, for example, under tree crowns.
If you plan to place a swing on a veranda, porch or gazebo, then you should pay attention to the panoramic view that you will have to contemplate while relaxing, the movement of the sun so that it does not shine in your eyes all the time, and other factors.
It is better to tinker a children's swing on grassy meadows to avoid injury when falling. Adult models can be installed on asphalt or paved areas. For family variants intended for use by a large number of people, a solid surface is required to prevent the legs from sinking into the ground.
Suspended swings require a careful approach to support selection. The simplest models can be hung from a strong tree branch, for heavier and more complex ones, it is better to provide fasteners on the beams of the house or on special supports made of logs, timber or metal.
Sometimes the swing bench is hung between two trees, but for this the branches of both plants must be of equal strength. Houses located near natural water bodies are most often built on piles. If the floor level is high above the ground, then the owners use the resulting distance either for technical needs or for aesthetic needs, equipping recreation areas there. Swings suspended from the floor beams will be very appropriate there.
The presence of an open terrace in a private cottage makes it possible to create the most comfortable atmosphere using suspended structures. They are sheltered from precipitation, so you can use any materials for decoration: cozy blankets, soft mattresses, various pillow options. In regions with a small number of fine days, cottages are often equipped with glazed verandas or a winter garden. It is more expedient to install there either portable light versions of the swing, or suspended models.
How to do it yourself?
Manufacturers today offer a wide range of swings of different types. But it must be remembered that the purchased product does not always meet all the requirements for dimensions, style, materials and other criteria. It is not so difficult to make a wooden swing yourself, but they will be the most favorite place on the site or in the house.
Today, on the Internet, you can find any schemes and master classes that help you build a wooden swing for a cottage or garden plot with your own hands. But before you start preparing materials, you should determine the purpose, location and method of installing the structure.
Suspended type on A-shaped supports
The indicated type of construction is the most versatile option. Such a swing can either be installed permanently or made portable. Their sizes depend on the installation method. Stationary models have their own foundation and are very stable, therefore such a swing is large. It is impractical to make portable modifications massive, since their main advantage - mobility, will be violated. There can be any fastening of seats on A-shaped supports, but most often it is suspended.
During construction, it is necessary to focus on the drawings of a specific structure. If it is not possible to draw them yourself, then you can either contact the specialists, or find a suitable option on the Internet. It is better to have several angles with detailed indication of dimensions in order to exclude errors in calculations.
- overall dimensions: height, length and width;
- the length of each fixing bar;
- crossbar length;
- the distance from the seat to the ground and to the horizontal anchorage beam;
- the distance between the sidewall of the seat and the support on each side;
- the thickness of the board or timber used for construction.
Standard instruction, where the steps are presented step by step
- Preparation of tools and materials for work. Experts advise beginners to use pine boards and beams for construction.
The following tools may be needed to build a swing:
- measuring tape and square;
- a simple pencil or marker;
- hacksaw for wood;
- Circular Saw;
- sanding block and sandpaper;
- a set of screwdrivers or screwdriver;
- set of wrenches;
- rafter pins;
- self-tapping screws;
- electric drill and a set of drills for wood;
- chain or rope, depending on the decision on the type of fastening.
- Support erection. The supporting structure consists of four legs, a transom and four struts of two types. For the manufacture of sidewalls, a bar with a section of 90x45 mm is taken. The length is calculated taking into account whether and how deep the structure will be dug into the ground or deepened into the foundation (usually 2 to 3 meters). A bar of 140x45 mm is suitable for the cross member and spacers. With the length of the sidewalls 198.7 cm, the length of the crossbar is 210, the upper joints - 23 cm, the lower ones - 96 cm.
For more accurate calculations, specialists use the following formula.
a = b / (2 * sin (β / 2)), where a is the length of the side bar, b is the height of the swing, β is the angle formed when the sidewalls are connected (usually 30 degrees).
After all the parts are measured and cut to the desired size, they begin to assemble the support, which is best carried out on the ground.
- On the crossbar, measure 15 cm on each side. These are the points at which it will attach to the sidewalls.
- Next, oblique cuts are made at the upper ends of the side supports to fasten them at an angle. For this, they are laid out on the site in the desired position. Further, using a square with rafter pins, the cut point is marked on one bar and sawn off with a hacksaw. In order to make an equivalent cut on the second support, it must be attached to the first and sawed off strictly along the cut.
- A similar operation must be done with the other two side supports.
- We carry out fitting with a transverse beam, for which it is installed perpendicular to the ground. From below, the legs are adjusted to it in such a way that the upper sections fit snugly against the crossbar, and the distance between the lower ones is about 120 cm.
- At the next stage, the legs are connected to the cross member, for which a through hole is drilled with a drill and a bolt and nut are screwed in.
- We adjust the spacers under the sidewalls using clamps for a more precise fit. For the lower connection, a mark is made at a distance of 0.5 m from the ground - this is the standard level of the future hanging seat, for the upper one - 0.15-0.2 m down from the cross member. The beveled sides are carefully measured using a square. The technician makes an eye-to-eye fit by placing a spacer on the side support and noting the bevels in the direction of the bar.
- Next, the spacers are fixed to the sidewalls using bolts or metal corners.
It must be remembered that from below, the width between the two supports should be 0.5 meters or more greater than the length of the seat.
It is worth noting that for the manufacture of wooden swings, it is necessary to use galvanized fasteners. They will not rust and rot, therefore, prolong the life of the structure. Examples of workshops on the construction of a swing with an A-shaped base are given below.
- Seat making. The shape of the seats can be different and depends on the purpose. Family designs in the form of a bench with a back are more common. This type of seat can be hung not only on free-standing supports, but also on the ceiling beams of a veranda, terrace, inside the room.
For the frame, it is better to take a bar with a section of 3.5x7 cm and a length of 120 cm. A similar material can be used for armrests.
Planks 3-4 cm thick for the seat and 2.5 cm for the back, 7-10 cm wide are suitable as planks.
For suspensions, it is better to choose stainless steel chains or ropes treated with special protective compounds. Eye bolts, rings, carabiners, hinges, anchors, hooks are used as fasteners for suspension elements.
The algorithm for making the simplest version of the bench is not so complicated.
- The frames for the seat and backrest are made of timber.
- Next, the back is assembled. If the panels on the backs are planned to be made vertically, then some craftsmen recommend providing for a system of grooves and spikes for them, the former are located in the frame, and the latter - on the lamellas themselves. In this case, when joining, you will have to use wood glue to increase the strength. The panels can also be fastened with ordinary screws, screws or nails, only it is necessary to provide for the protection of the caps so that it does not scratch the person while sitting. If the panels on the back are parallel to the frame, then, accordingly, they will be needed less. The lamellas should protrude 4–5 cm beyond the base.
- The next step is to assemble the seat. The panels can go back to back, forming a solid shield, or with gaps from 3 to 5 cm.
- If the project involves the installation of armrests, then they are assembled at any stage of construction. Fastening is possible to the back or to the seat.
- The final step is to connect the back and seat. To do this, in the simplest case, a rail is nailed to each frame, and the parts are pulled together with the help of metal corners.
Workshops on making several types of swing benches are listed below. For one adult, a variety of seat options are provided in the form of a chair, hammock, sphere, drop and other original shapes. Craftsmen offer many workshops on making a swing in the form of a hammock. Here are some of them.
Children's models differ from adults in a large rolling angle. Therefore, for babies, it is necessary to provide protection against falling on the seat: handles, backrests, latches.
From a skateboard
The topic of making a swing from an old unnecessary skateboard has become very popular on the Internet.
The authors suggest using the board as a seat after removing the wheels from it. A minimum of tools and materials will be required: a rope, carabiners, a pair of planed sticks as holders and the tools needed to assemble the structure.
It remains only to decide where this device will be attached: to a tree branch or to some kind of artificial crossbar.
For very young children, it is very important to consider fall protection. Seat structures require fixing elements, armrests, handles and backrests. Manufacturers offer a large number of ready-made options, but the craftsmen offer, without further ado and without much experience, to make a swing for kids on their own from fabric and a couple of pieces of wood.
Craftsmen suggest to sew a seat from a dense bright fabric in the form of pants, instead of an elastic band, which have wooden holders. Holes have been drilled in these blocks on both sides for four anchoring ropes. Each rope connects two adjacent holders, that is, it is threaded through two holes at the same time. They need to be positioned so that the side bars are higher, since they are armrests. The swing is suspended from one ring, which is attached to the support with a carabiner. Below are some more master classes on this topic.
Support to seat connection
After all the elements of the swing are ready, proceed to the final assembly. Fasteners are screwed on the side of the seat: eyebolts, anchors or rings. Two on each side - to the seat and back. If a chain is used as a suspension, then a carabiner is first put on the fastener, and then a chain with it.
In the case of using ropes, additional devices are no longer needed. The length of the suspensions is calculated so that the person sitting on the swing reaches the ground with their feet.
The nature of the swing will tell you whether it will be stationary or portable, free-standing or suspended.
In the case of installing a separate structure without a foundation, the legs of the support are covered with bitumen as waterproofing, which will increase the service life. After processing, the swing is dug into the ground, carefully tamping it.
The stationary structure is fixed to the foundation. For this, holes are dug with a depth of 50 cm, swings are installed in them and concreted.
All wooden elements are either painted or stained or varnished. The coating is necessary for protective purposes, but also performs an aesthetic function, so each owner can make his own choice.
Since sitting on a hard seat is very uncomfortable, designers suggest using various options for removable mattresses and pillows, the covers on which can be changed.
The main stages of the construction of a swing from logs are similar to the options considered from a bar. However, it should be noted that log bases are much more massive, therefore they are installed permanently using a foundation. Large dimensions and weight provide stability in any cataclysm. Among the disadvantages are the following factors:
- assembly and installation will require the efforts of several people;
- logs are more difficult to protect from insects;
- the tree becomes rotten over time.
Thanks to the logs on your site, you can build an original swing, stylized antique. Step-by-step instructions for the simplest model are presented below.
First, sand the log surfaces. Then notches are necessary. Treat the tree with special protective agents, which include antiseptics, stains and impregnations. Let the logs dry completely. Prepare the site: align, drive in the pegs.
- 4 logs with a cross section of about 10 cm and a length of 207 cm.
- The bottom baffle for each sidewall from a 103.5 cm long log is the base of the resulting log triangle.
- The length of the lintel, which is located at a height of 110 cm from the ground level, is 45.5 cm. Moreover, it should protrude on long supports by 2 cm on each side.
- The bolt length is 4.5 meters.
- Diagonal log support.
- With these dimensions, the width of the bench seat is 1.5 meters.
Making the base
Two long logs are connected in pairs in the form of the letter A at an angle of 30 degrees. A single circle is drawn on them, the diameter of which is commensurate with the cross-section of the crossbar, and is cut out with a grinder. The hole should be sanded. Further, supports in the form of corners are installed on the legs. Horizontal and vertical logs are connected using long anchor bolts.
The necessary grooves were made in the sidewalls in advance, into which horizontal joints are inserted and bolted. The diagonal strut is dimensioned locally using a fit-to-fit method It is fastened with bolts on one side to the upper crossbar, on the other side to the transverse upper log. Retreating to the right and left by 1.5 meters, holes are drilled in the crossbar, in which fasteners for the suspension mechanism are threaded.
The seat is made in the same way as for a swing from a bar.
The swing is a versatile item that is equally loved by adults and children, and at the same time fits into any design. For the most part, swings have two functions: entertaining and relaxing. Children use them as entertainment. Depending on the age, the models of wooden swings differ.
- Some designs for kids.
- Others are for an older age.
- Swing hammocks are very popular with children.
Swings for relaxation are divided into large groups: family, beds, armchairs and others.
- Moreover, homemade models are no worse than purchased ones and much cheaper.
- For example, a swing made of wooden planks with a flexible connection allows you to relax your back, which is tired during the day.
- Large benches for a pleasant time together will fit perfectly into any landscape.
- As practice shows, a rocking chair can also be a swing.
- Recently, the owners of private estates are increasingly installing swings in the form of beds and sofas on verandas and terraces so that they can sleep outdoors, read books, and receive guests.
For information on how to make a wooden swing with your own hands, see the next video.