Residents of apartments do not always think about an air purifier, but over time they notice that it is simply necessary. First of all, it makes the microclimate in the house cleaner, and also becomes an assistant in the fight against allergies and the prevention of many diseases. The ecology in big cities leaves much to be desired, and, in addition to dust, bacteria and cigarette smoke rush in the atmosphere, it becomes hard to breathe, residents suffer, but not everyone notice side effects on themselves.
In any case, an air purifier will help to cope with harmful substances, it is also great for allergy sufferers . As a rule, such devices are sold in special stores, but with the help of some manipulations, you can make it yourself.
Pros and cons
There are, of course, more advantages, and first we will talk about them. The advantages of an indoor air cleaner are obvious - it removes various types of contaminants from the air by passing it through a filter system. If the device is made without a fan, the cleaner can be placed in the nursery, as it does not make sounds.
The downside is that the air purifier cannot clean the room of carbon dioxide generated from the breath of people . Technically, the air in an apartment or house will be cleaner, but at the same time it will be impossible to eliminate its staleness along with the ensuing consequences - a headache, a decrease in working capacity. The conclusion from this is the following: a purifier is good, but you still need high-quality ventilation.
Before starting to work on creating an air cleaner with your own hands, it is very important to determine the climate in the apartment or house where it will be used. A device for measuring air humidity will help with this.
For example, if the air humidity in the room is satisfactory, only dust is worried, then it is quite possible to use a car filter.
But if the air in the house is dry, then the task becomes a little more complicated.
In dry air, it is more advisable to try to humidify it, because such climatic conditions are not suitable for a normal stay in the room. Dry air affects the state of health: fatigue increases, attention and concentration deteriorate, and immunity decreases. Prolonged stay in a dry room is dangerous for the skin - it becomes dry, susceptible to premature aging.
Please note: the acceptable humidity for humans is 40-60%, these are the indicators that need to be achieved.
Step-by-step instructions will help even a beginner to build an air cleaner. The main thing is to carefully follow the guide and prepare the necessary items.
- We prepare the parts: a plastic container with a lid, a laptop fan (called a cooler), screws, fabric (microfiber is best), fishing line.
- We take the container and make a hole in its lid (to fit the cooler, it must be tight).
- We fasten the fan to the container lid (you will need self-tapping screws for this).
- Pour water into the container so that it does not touch the cooler. We close the lid. We take the power supply and connect the fan to it: 12 V or 5 V units will do, but the 12-volt fan cannot be connected directly to a home outlet.
- We place the fabric inside the plastic container (to easily place it inside, we use fishing line for this - we pull it in several rows across the air movement).
- We place the fabric so that it does not touch the walls of the container, and the air can pass to the exit. All dust will remain on the fabric in this way.
Tip: To make cleaning more effective, make additional holes for placing the fabric on the side walls of the container above the water level.
If you put silver in water, then the air will be saturated with silver ions.
Everything is clear with a dry room - it has a negative effect on a person. But an apartment with high humidity is no better. Appliance performance exceeding 70% negatively affects not only people, but also furniture. A humid environment is a favorable environment for the growth of bacteria, fungi, and mold. Microbes release a large number of spores into the environment, and they enter the human body. As a result, constant illness and complaints about well-being.
Please note: to remove excess moisture, it is necessary to ventilate the room, as it can lead to confusion, seizures and even fainting.
To combat high humidity, it is advisable to make the necessary device that will help dry the air.
- In the manufacture of the purifier, the same instructions apply as for the dry air purifier, the only difference is the fan. It should be 5V power.
- And we also add a component such as table salt to the design. Pre-dry it in the oven. Pour the salt into the container so that it does not touch the cooler.
- The water must be changed for each 3-4 cm layer of salt.
Advice: salt can be changed to silica gel (the kind you saw in the box when buying shoes), it absorbs moisture better, however, if there are children in the house, it is not recommended to use it, as they can be poisoned.
Charcoal filter device
A charcoal purifier is great for indoor use - it helps maintain health and is the most inexpensive air purification equipment on the market. Such a device can be made independently - it will perfectly cope with getting rid of unpleasant odors, for example, tobacco.
We prepare all the necessary elements. You will need:
- sewer pipe - 2 pieces of 1 meter with diameters of 200/210 mm and 150/160 mm (can be ordered from the online building store);
- plugs (a device for closing any hole tightly) 210 and 160 mm;
- ventilation adapter (you can buy it in the store) 150/200 mm in diameter;
- painting net;
- aluminum tape (scotch tape);
- drill with various attachments;
- activated carbon - 2 kg;
- large needle and nylon thread.
Let's analyze the manufacturing process.
- We cut the outer pipe (200/210 mm in diameter) to 77 mm, and the inner pipe (150/160 mm) to 75 mm. Please note - all burrs must be removed.
- We turn one pipe upwards - the inner one - to cut the edge (this way it will fit better to the plug). After that, we drill many holes in it with a 10 mm drill in diameter.
- Make holes in the outer pipe using a 30 mm drill. Leave the drilled circles!
- We wrap two pipes with agrofiber, after which we sew it with a nylon thread.
- Next, we take the outer pipe and wrap it with a mesh, then sew it using 2 clamps 190/210 mm for this.
- We sew the mesh with a slightly curved needle with a thread threaded into it (the main thing is that it is sewn along the entire length). As we sew, we move the clamps (they serve for convenience).
- Excess agrofibre and mesh (protruding) are removed with suitable tools - mesh with wire cutters, and fiber with ordinary scissors.
- The main thing is not to forget that first the pipe is wrapped in mesh, and then with fiber.
- We fix the edges with aluminum tape.
- We insert the inner tube into the plug so that it is right in the center using the spacers from the circles that have been drilled. After that, we make foaming.
- We place the inner pipe into the outer one, and then fill it with coal, previously sifted through a sieve. We take coal with a fraction of 5.5 mm, grade AR-B. You will need approximately 2 kg.
- We slowly put it into the pipe. Periodically, you need to tap it on the floor so that the coal can be evenly distributed.
- When the space is full, we put on the adapter as a cover. Then, with the help of sealant, we cover the gap that forms between the adapter and the inner pipe.
The air purifier is ready! After the material has dried, insert the duct fan into the adapter.
From the filter, he must draw air in and blow it out into space. If you integrate it into supply ventilation (a system that delivers fresh and clean air to the room), then this filter can be used in the house.
In order to purify the air in your home, it is not at all necessary to buy ready-made expensive devices. Making one of the designs at home is not difficult at all. The effort spent will surely pay off with a favorable state of health and well-being.
See below for more details.